An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are Cigarettes the most addictive drug?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kjonesm1, Jun 30, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I've been smoking regularly since I was about fifteen. Around the same time I started smoking weed everyday at least twice a day. I smoked both for about 16 years when I decided I wanted to quit. The marijuanawas easy and I was able to quit cold turkey, but cigarettes are still a struggle. Over the years I've done alcohol, coke, ecstasy, ghb, ketamine, mushrooms, acid, Molly, wax, salvia and a couple of other things and have never picked up a habit I couldn't just quit. Cigarettes on the other hand seem to control me. In my experience it is the most addictive drug out there. Thoughts?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a smoker but I think it still depends on a person. There could be some who finds it hard to quit drinking alcohol but can stop smoking which can also be true to other substances. Not sure if there are surveys or studies that could say that cigarettes are the most addictive but I think it is case to case.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I used to smoke a pack a day the least, but I never felt like I should smoke or anything like that. Everything came out of an intrinsic reflex to always have something to occupy my time, and that was having something at my mouth, and therefore that reflex was about smoking. But it really wasn't addictive. To some it might be, but to me, no...
  4. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Here's a graph showing the relative addictiveness (how addictive they are compared to each other) of drugs:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see from the chart, it is not the single most addictive drug, but is the second most. Analgesic drugs are drugs that relieve you from pain, such as painkillers or prescription medication. According to the chart, the tobacco addictiveness looks like around 94% to 96% which is definitely not a figure to be looked down at.
    I don't know how the person recording the graph tested this, or why it is in percentages. Here's the source if you're curious, though: http://hplusmagazine.com/2012/11/07/is-drug-addiction-part-of-human-evolution/. The article is about drug addiction and its relations to human evolution.
    takeshifujimoto likes this.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Awesome chart @Aescopri! It does make sense why so many people seem trapped in that mortal vicious circle, I feel so happy neither me or my mom are smokers. Sadly my fiance is a smoker, he says he really wants to quit smoking, but he just can't. After seeing this chart I must say I now feel more respect for those who have managed to quit smoking.
  6. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

That graph backs up what I wa going to say just based on reading the thread title. Cigs are super addictive and were created and marketed to be as such. Tobacco executives knew what they were doing when they made cigs and even lied about ingredients, addictive possibilities in order to improve revenue.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't think I would say it's the most addictive - but I think it's one of the drug addictions that is easy to access and also normalized by our society to a degree. I think in that sense it's seen as a harder addiction to break because it's a lot more prevalent and out in the open than a lot of other drug addictions are.

Also, thanks to @Aescopri for that interesting graph that you posted - a very well put together resource. Appreciate you sharing it with us!
    Aescopri likes this.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It took me three attempts to give up smoking for good. The first time I lasted about 4 years, the second time it was two years. The third time I really stuck with it, and I know now that I'll never touch cigarettes again, as I've finally overcome my psychological addiction to them. There have been several highly stressful moments in the last few years where I found myself walking to a tobacco shop, only to stand there and look in the window, wondering whether I really wanted to get back into the same old, vicious circle. Thankfully, I'm over that stage now. All I do now, is dream occasionally about enjoying a big Cuban cigar. But that's more of a joke. For me, giving up smoking has definitely been a major challenge.
  9. A lot of people claim that marijuana doesnt have any addictive qualities but I was a smoker for 2 years (cigarettes too) and when I quit smoking (weed), I did feel some kind of a withdrawal from it. Sure its not as bad as quitting cigarettes but its definitely there. Maybe it's just psychological, who knows? According to that chart that Aescopri shared, it seems that marijuana is more addicting than ecstacy (which is crazy to me because I know too many people that are hooked on E.)
  10. Aescopri

Yay! Thanks so much. I just wanted to help you guys getting a visual source. Anyhow, I'm still not quite sure of how the author measured the "addictiveness" of each drug, so there's still some room for speculation. Thanks again! c:
  11. Aescopri

Yup! I've got to agree with you that quitting smoking is a really hard thing to do, especially so without any help. When I was a child, my parents smoked half a pack a day and I was really concerned about their health, so I threw childish tantrums and wanted to blackmail them into quitting smoking. That was one of the things that caused me the most guilt in adulthood, especially now that I know how addictive smoking is.
    It's definitely not easy to quit smoking, but it's also something that can cause terminal diseases!
  12. Tremmie

I know, I am so worried about my fiance, even though I try not to worry, but just today I was telling my mom how worried I feel deep down. Even more worried when I think about his idiotic parents smoking inside the house while he was a toddler. IDIOTS. He has been smoking for 11 years now. I feel like it's matter of time before he starts to feel really sick and they tell us he has cancer.

Did your parents ever quit smoking?
  13. Aescopri

Oh, my. That's not a good situation. And, no, if it makes you feel better, my parents are still regular smokers. Smoking isn't a surefire way to get cancer—though the percentages are high. My parents smoked inside the house when I was a toddler, and I think that for me, it made me dislike it because of its "choking" smell.
    Your fiance's parents aren't exactly doing the right thing, eh? Try to have a talk with them, formally and in private. Try to convince them to not smoke in front of him, and seek some help from friends or family (or a psychiatrist) to help your fiance quit smoking. Does your fiance want to quit smoking, though? Because that's what I'm more worried about, you helping someone that clearly doesn't want help.
  14. Tremmie

Sorry to hear that! But it does make me feel better to know not everyone gets cancer from smoking! As for his parents, the saddest part is they don't even smoke anymore, but their son does! So he is making the same mistake they did! You know what? I am not even sure what this guy wants, sometimes out of the blue he says things like: ''I really want to quit smoking, it's so bad for me and I am spending 120 euros a month on this.
  15. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Cigarettes aren't the most addictive drug out there, but they definitely very addictive.
    I smoke for around two years, and I can't imagine myself quiting right now.
    It's a some sort of stress relief for me, as as stupid as this sounds it brings happiness to me.
  16. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I would totally agree. Cigarettes are a very addicting drug. Some say cigarettes are the starter drug for a lot of other drugs. I would not be able to agree with this. I was an avid and daily smoker for 13 years and would not want to go back to it. I know that sometimes the smell of a freshly lit Marlboro brand cigarette smells great. But also, I know that one puff and it is over. I will be smoking on a regular basis again.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

I think so since cigarettes are readily available and can be smoked at most places. This has attracted many to start smoking who therefore end up to be addicts. Many have been affected by the flashy ads that lure them into trying different brands. Young children are used to watching soaps with ladies smoking indoors. Our communities end up being smoking communities since the young copy what their elders do. Nowadays people have started to realise the effects smoking and thanks to those who have avoided to smoking before their children. If e cigarettes will be proved to be safe, then they will save the future generations. But we should also not expose e cigarettes to young ones.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, in my experience, I think you're right. The only thing I'm REALLY addicted to, is smoking. That's because it's the only drug I've done daily for years. I never drank everyday, smoked weed, or done coke on a daily basis, but smoking is another story.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Cigarettes are one of the most addictive substances out there. I didn't have to look at a graph or google it to know that. I learned from my friends and their experiences. From some of their person experiences they say that out of all the drugs that they have used in the past, cigarette is the hardest to quit.
  20. harold

harold Community Champion

It is true. Cigarettes might just be the most addictive substance out there. Heroin and marijuana are addictive too, but they are not as available as cigarettes are. Smokers feel more comfortable running back to cigarettes, as opposed to the other substances that attract attention. The other drugs could equally be as addictive as cigarettes, but the issue with these drugs is the fact that most of them are not tolerated under the law. Addicts need to pass through a lot of stress to get them. These inconveniences in getting these substances can easily cause a person to quit, as opposed to cigarettes that are not prohibited under the law. Yes, it is very difficult to quit smoking cigarettes.