An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are e-cigarettes helpful or beneficial for quitting?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by k9cb, Jul 20, 2015.

1. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

From what I understand, the jury is still out on whether or not e-cigarettes are safe or a healthier alternative to smoking. They don't have tar or smoke, for example, but they may have some other harmful substances or effects. That being said, are e-cigarettes a good "stepping-stone" between cigarette addiction and quitting, or do they just keep a nicotine addiction going?

It's pretty clear they don't really change all of the habitual elements of smoking cigarettes in the way that nicotine gum or a patch might. Are they too close to smoking to be a good treatment? Do they just alter but still maintain an addiction? Has anyone had any success using them to quit?
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

They are not any safer to non addicts. If somebody has never used them, better he should never try. Their long term effects have not yet been known. They are just seen as a solution for now. Never suggest them to kids or teens. They should avoid them at early ages. They have helped real tobacco smokers to quit smoking.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Electronic cigarettes have become increasingly popular recently, and while I don't think they're as harmful as a regular cigarette, up to now I don't theink they have been fully tested with what harm they might be casusing in the long term.

There's a lot of different elements to smoking, one is the addiction to tobacco, but another one is the actual physical addiction of holding something between your fingers, this is something that electronic cigarettes don't help with.
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

My mother-in-law tried it, it did nothing for her. Her best friend completely switched to e-cigarette, and she says her lungs felt so much better after a week -- no coughing in the morning and at night anymore. I think that's pretty cool. But even cooler is, when she blows out her vapor, it actually smells nice and fruity! I actually get a good sniff of it when she exhales hahaha. So much better than stupid cigarette smoke which poisons the air and where the smell clings on clothes and hair!
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

They certainly helped me to quit. I haven't smoked tobacco since the start of January and it's all thanks to vaping. I'm now down to the lowest strength e-liquid with a view to being nicotine-free in the next 2 months. I've tried to quit on so many occasions yet never lasted longer than 3 weeks. I wish I'd tried vaping sooner and would recommend it to anyone else who wants to quit for the last time.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Whether or not the help one quit nicotine is unclear. But it seems that they enable people to switch from a very unhealthy addiction to a less unhealthy addict which, in my opinion, is certainly a step in the right direction.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

This question has been asked so many times through the Internet, and I always tell the same thing every time: We know few about the effects of e-cigs, and will probably stay that way for the years to come. Personally, I don't see any benefit. You still inhale a lot of dangerous substances, so I truly don't see how that helps at all.
  8. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I think I tend to agree that non-smokers should avoid them. No point in adopting a new addiction for no reason. I also don't think children should be given any addictive substances, including caffeine. Sugar should be avoided when possible as well.

Have you had an experience using e-cigarettes to quit, or do you know of someone who has? Or have you just heard that they have worked for certain people? I'd love to hear someone's experience with it.
  9. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

Hey, congrats! Have you noticed a reduction in cravings or the desire to smoke? Also, how quickly did you reduce your nicotine content? I imagine you probably noticed some differences in being able to taste and smell better shortly after quitting. I've heard that's generally the case. Was it for you?

Once you actually quit, do you think the habit of smoking something, will be difficult to deal with, or do you think the decrease in nicotine dependence will be simple enough to finally kick for good?

Sorry for the interrogation. I don't personally smoke, but I'm trying to get some insight to convince some loved ones to give it up.
  10. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I agree with your comment about the physical addiction of holding something. A friend of mine actually mentions that they feel weird about e-cigs because they don't get the feeling of progress that you'd normally get as a cigarette burns. They also feel very different in your hand, and taste different when you drag them.

I've actually heard that changing up some things about how you smoke can be beneficial to quitting though. That is, for example, holding your cigarette between different fingers makes it feel awkward and therefore takes away some of the appeal of smoking. It's weird how little things like that become part of an addiction.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have an e-cigarette, and it kind of helped me reduce the number of cigarettes I smoked daily. I still craved the nicotine though. I had to go cold turkey, as the vaper didn't really help me. And it's not that safe as well.
    k9cb likes this.
  12. Alicia36

Alicia36 Member

I have an e-cig and really didn't do much for me I mean I still wanted the nicotine. But in my opinion I don't think they are any safer than a regular cigarette.
    k9cb likes this.
  13. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I think they are beneficial. You can start out at a high dose of nicotine and then slowly decrease the amount that you are actually gaping. Eventually, you'll only be vamping water but it will still fulfill the need to inhale something. I know quite a few people who've successfully quit using this method.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The people that I have heard say that vapor is better for you is smokers. The are trying to rationalize vapor usage by saying it is a healthier option. Its like me saying I dont drink hard liquor anymore but I still drink wine because it better for me. You are still getting you dose of poison at a different serving amount. It's still bad for you no matter what.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe it could help some while to others it would not work.
    My view as a non smoker and have not tried smoking or vaping, it is like another way of getting nicotine in a more "control" way as they say so, better to avoid both totally.
  16. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

Yeah, I kind of forgot that the amount of nicotine is variable until someone else mentioned their experience. That seems like a good way to slowly cut down without letting yourself "realize" it. You're still "smoking" the same amount, but you are still weening yourself off the addictive substance. I also agree that maintaining the act of inhaling itself could be beneficial in that it mitigates the need for the habitual activity.
  17. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

No, no! Don't buy yourself an e-cigarette to quit smoking, because you will get even more addicted.
    YOU NEED TO QUIT DEFINITELY, without using any e-cigs or without vaping, nothing of that.
    Be free of nicotine!
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I really don't know, some people have a very hard time quitting cold turkey... so in that case vaping doesn't sound like such a bad idea. I'm actually thinking of trying this with my fiance, but only if the patches don't work. I feel that if he doesn't stop soon he will end up dying of cancer :(
    k9cb likes this.
  19. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I know a few people who use e-cigarettes even if they are not suffering from nicotine addiction. They seem to use it to look cool or in. I do not know anyone who has successfully transitioned from traditional cigarette smoking to e-cigarette.

I believe though that if you are not addicted to nicotine then you should not use the e-cigarettes. It is starting a new addiction even if it is not as harmful as traditional cigarettes. If you are using e-cigarettes to cure your nicotine addiction then it is okay. I still think it is a little bit safer than the traditional cigarettes.
  20. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I agree that it's never a good idea to start a new addiction, and considering we don't know how harmful these e-cigarettes are, it's certainly not worth the risk.

I think it's interesting that you say people smoke e-cigs to look cool. Isn't that also why many people start with real cigarettes? Do you think e-cigarette smokers avoid the stigma attached to cigarette smoking while still maintaining the "coolness" seemingly associated with smoking? Why do you think people associate smoking anything with being cool?
    Coolkidhere likes this.