An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are e-cigarettes less harmful than real ones?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by serpes, Apr 16, 2015.

1. serpes

serpes Member

I often see people that are trying to quit smoking. One of the methods they use are e-cigarettes. The motive is simple. They are supposed to be safe on the health part and still offer you the doze of nicotine your body needs. So, does an e-cigarette improve the matter or does it make it worst? What are your personal opinions on this matter?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It seems that this topic is being discussed a lot lately and is still up for debate. Some studies claim to show that they can, potentially, be worse for your whereas other studies show they are not as bad. I do know, however, that the National Health Service in the UK are soon going to allow doctors and GP's to prescribe e-cigarettes to smokers in order to help them quit. I do think that more studies are needed though.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can also, help out in a person but the effects can be different from person to person as well and the studies can be different as well and also it will be interesting to see what happens later. I, think that there are a lot of opinions and also it is interesting that some studies can be different and also it is going to take time to find out if it will work as well. I have heard the e- cigarette can do some good and also, can do some good as well and also it will need to be researched more and experimented to see what it can and can't do.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's better because it's not really smoke you're inhaling when using electronic cigarettes or vaporizers, and instead you're mostly just inhaling water vapor, which is a lot less harsh on the lungs obviously and apart from that tar isn't present in these products which is one of the more harmful ingredients of regular cigarettes.
    Zyni likes this.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's actually less known about e-cigs' effects than usual ones; nobody can confirm you that the former is better than the latter, but it could also be the other way around.
    One of the methods I used when I quit smoking was this e-cig, but I found that it gave me an even more intensified urge of going back to regular ones. Long story short, it wasn't effective.
    I'm glad if this method works for people who try to quit, and I wish it worked for me, too.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

E-cigs have become a lot more popular these past few months and I think if it helps people to stop smoking then that can only be a good thing.

The problem is I don't think a lot of them have been properly tested so the long term effects might be a problem in the future, only time will tell.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

From what it seems they're harmless for your body because they are using vapor, something like hookas.
    The problem is that hookas have been declared by scientists as harmful for your body, so I think we need a lot more studies on e-cigarettes.
  8. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

E-cigarettes are NOT good for people with heart ailments. They can promote arterial sclerosis, meaning narrowing of arteries over time. For normal people, however, they are deemed to be less dangerous than normal cigarettes. They still give you a steady supply of nicotine, which itself is toxic and habit causing. The best thing is to consider quitting smoking and seek professional help if you can't do it on your own.
  9. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

There has not been enough research on Ecigarettes. I personally think they are just as bad. The only good side is they are smokeless so the harmful effects of second hand smoke to others is gone. I personally think they make you look like an idiot regardless of the harmful or not harmful effects.
  10. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

There isn't substantial research on e-cigs to answer your question well. I think because your body is still ingesting nicotine it's pretty bad. Don't take my word for it though. I'm not an expert on the subject. The best thing to do is consider quitting the habit of smoking and find a method that is known to work and work from there.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The more time goes by the more we are learning about vapor. This is what it is. Vaping is less intrusive with the absence of real smoke. So it is acceptable to non smokers. But your still getting a nicotene hit. the long term effects of vaping will take awhile to see the light of day. Vaping is the lesser of the evil
  12. Sparkster

On a side note which is kind of related I have heard that Willie Nelson, who is 80-odd years old and who admits to using marijuana regularly, has recently decided to switch to vaping marijuana instead of smoking it. He is obviously a believer that vaping is not as harmful as smoking. A lot of people seem to be doing this recently.

I think a large part of using hookahs and smoking (or vaping) Sheesha is that they also use charcoal. Surely, that can't be too good for the health?
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's hard to say - and I think because the e-cigarettes are a fairly new invention that there hasn't been a great deal of research done on them yet. If they're still giving you the dose of nicotine though, despite not having the tar and so forth that normal cigarettes do, then there's still that reliance on an addictive drug. If I was still a smoker, I don't think I'd try the e-cigarette route, mainly because I think the whole practice of having an e-cigarette is too much like smoking that it's harder to 'cut' yourself from the addictive behavior.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

There is not as much evidence for e-cigarettes and vape pens, but I would say that they are safer than cigarettes. However, from the various articles that I have read throughout the years, they are still not completely safe. They just harm you in different ways than cigarettes.
  15. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Multiple studies are being released that show that e-cigarette users take in up to 15 times more of formaldehyde through vaping than you would through cigarette smoking. So it's obviously not safer than smoking cigarettes, and the long-term use might be far more costly than regular cigarettes. They're both bad ideas either way, and it's very unintelligent to assume that e-cigarettes are a safe alternative to cigarettes.
  16. Matthodge1

Do you happen to have a link to any of those studies? It is interesting to me to see the long term effects of vaping and e-cigarettes.
  17. Matthodge1

Hookahs are certainly not harmless, either. They damage your lungs more than smoking from papers. They may seem harmless, but they have been proven to be harmful.
  18. Matthodge1

For anyone who cannot read sarcasm, smoking sheesha is terrible for your body. It is almost straight charcoal and that is no where near healthy.
  19. Sparkster

That does make sense. As far as I am aware, there is no tar or nicotine in Sheesha. However, as I stated above, using charcoal kind of defeats the whole point of vaping or using Sheesha instead of tobacco. Of course, using a Hookah also means inhaling much larger volumes of smoke.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I didn't know that they were harmful, but yes I think they are closer to vaporizers than cigarettes. I agree that they may be harmful and there should be further studies from an independent researcher but in my unscientific opinion I don't believe it is as harmful as cigarettes at least.