An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are electronic cigarettes a better alternative?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by stagsonline, Oct 4, 2014.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

I've been seeing more and more people vaping and I feel that it's healthier indeed and people are realizing it. Smoking indoor is a plus too.
  2. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I have had this debate many times also. I really don't know if the amount of chemicals in the ecig is worth it. I have had a couple ecigarrettes, and I really didn't enjoy them. I was grossed out at the fact that I didn't even know what I was smoking. They are just as bad as smokes in a way that Is just my opinion
  3. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

My husband has gain his taste buds back ever since he started vaping. It is better than smoking. They don't get that tar in their lungs and the smoke on their tongues. Plus you are smoking flavors that taste really good. He used to have a hard time gaining weight when he smoked, but since he started vaping he's gained like twenty pounds. But of course, there will be people trying to defy its positive affects to steer people back towards tobacco use. I say someone has finally figured out that you can't get people to quit cold-turkey, but with e-cigarettes like vaping there is a much better chance.
  4. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Yep, it depends on the juices one uses, some have more nicotine, others have less, so we can choose the healthiest juice, meaning the one with less nicotine.
    mkCampbell likes this.
  5. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Taste is one thing that's huge for us as I'm the chef in the family and now my wife can taste food without covering it with salt! Since vaping she can taste again
  6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I do not smoke, so I hae never ever heard of an electronoic cigarettes, I dont know, what kind of world i am leaving in.
  7. Peninha

Wow, this is something surprising, so because of the vaping she can't taste the food? First time I hear about this, really strange.
  8. mkCampbell

No, I said exactly the opposite. "I'm the chef in the family and now my wife can taste food without covering it with salt! Since vaping she can taste again" Just wanted to clear that up real quick. Her taste buds have recovered!
  9. caparica007

Yeah, lol Peninha, you misread. In fact, cigarettes are awful, I've smoked for more or less 4 years and quitting was one of the best decisions I've made, vaping is much better.
  10. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

Yeah I love vaping. It's safe, it tastes good and you meet a lot of interesting people among the vaping community.
  11. mkCampbell

Just to add to what I've said before.... the smell factor has jumped back in! We started unpacking some items for Christmas and my wife said... "These Santa pillows smell like cigarettes." They were small decorative pillows used on the couch and chair where she generally sat when relaxing and smoking when we watched movies / tv etc. Her sense of smell and taste is amazing since she quit smoking.
  12. Peninha

Sorry about that, in fact I misunderstood. I had no idea that the cigarettes could cause that problem, I was a smoker and I never experimented that.
  13. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

Loss of palate is a common problem in heavy smokers, as is a decrease in your sense of smell.
    Years of smoking start taking a toll on your mouth and nose and you only really notice it when you stop smoking and recover those senses.
  14. caparica007

Apart from the loss of palate smoking brings a big number of problems, so vaping is indeed something welcome because it cuts all the bad consequences.
  15. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

My brother tried to use e-cigs as an escape route but to know avail. After a while he resumed his normal traditional cigs as he found it difficult to tell between nicotine levels between the two.I guess he had become too dependent on the cigs but am glad he doesn't empty a full pack than he used to do.
  16. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

Definitively, no. It seems to be a better thing than conventional cigarettes, but it's actually the same thing. Okay, maybe not exactly the same. The truth is that electronic cigarettes have even more nicotine than normal cigarettes, despite the fact that you can graduate the quantity of nicotine that you want to consume. If you want to quit smoking, just buy that nicotine patches or the nicotine chewing gums that are sold in the drugstore.
  17. Peninha

Yeah, I mean, why do people insist on that? Smoking is bad for the health and for everyone around them, it can cause a number of diseases, nothing good about it.
  18. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I've been using an e-cig for a long time now, about two years I think. I have gradually reduced the nicotine levels down to almost zero and I barely notice the difference at all. At this point I believe I have more of a psychological addiction than a physical one. I think the key is dropping the nicotine levels slowly.
  19. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

It actually is a better alternative. Because you just smoke nicotine and you can graduate it. On the other hand, you know how much substances cigarettes have. So if you're trying to quit smoking, you're on the right way.
  20. Peninha

No one questions that except the tobacco industry because they are seeing the money slip between their fingers, so they are making up lies and fake tests.