An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are electronic cigarettes a better alternative?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by stagsonline, Oct 4, 2014.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

I've read something in that sense Peninha, but fake tests? What do you mean by that? They can't go above the law or they will be punished.
  2. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

From what I've gathered, expert opinions about e-cigs are varied. From my own experience, it wasn't effective. I missed the way cigarettes felt, and I just ended up feeling frustrated and buying a pack. Gradually decreasing the sticks I smoked was less stressful, less expensive, and so far, more effective as I've completely stopped for a couple of weeks now.
  3. MissManda

MissManda Member

Just want to put it out there that I have successfully been cigarette free for 2 months now and am using an e-cig on one of the lowest levels of nicotine. I had been a smoker for almost 16 years, and I had tried to quit twice in the past, both times failed horribly. I loved smoking, even though I knew it was so bad for my health I still couldn't stop.
    My husband bought us e-cigs from a fantastic local company, they sold many different flavors and nicotine levels. I was so skeptical at first, I thought it was going to be a waste of time and money. But after about a solid week of vaping and absolutely no cigarette smoking, I was good.
    I find I don't crave cigarettes any more, which is good. I do think there should be more research done on the long term health affects of using an ecigarette but overall this has got to be better for my health and my lungs than the past 16 years of smoking about a pack a day.
  4. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

I don't think that there's anyone smoking nowadays who isn't aware of how harmful it can be, for non-smokers it really seems an extremely irresponsible thing to do, but that's just how addictions work...
    Zyni likes this.
  5. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

That's how I feel, I've been hearing people talking against vaping, but regular cigarettes are far worse!!
  6. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Yep, responsibility plays no role here, just look at a pack of cigarettes, they say it kills, but many smoke either ways so what can we do...

[​IMG]
  7. Strykstar

That's true Peninha, but I wonder how effective those ads and warnings in cigarette packs are, do you think many people stopped smoking when those were introduced?
  8. Peninha

Nothing effective of course, it's just a way that the state has to say, we are being responsible lol, how about forbidding it?
  9. ally79

ally79 Member

I am trying to give up traditional cigarettes for the electronic kind, but I have learned the hard way that you have to buy a quality one are you are wasting your time, not to mention your money. my mother-in-law successfully used the e-cigarettes to quit though and now she doesn't do anything and she smoked for more than thirty years.
  10. Peninha

Sure, if you're about to go into vaping, buy something with quality, after all that will accompany you all day, so no need to be cheap, in the long run you save a lot of money.
  11. Strykstar

I don't think they can completely forbid it since then it would be infringing upon people doing what they want, of course there are some things that only harm themselves that are illegal, suicide for example I think is illegal.
  12. Peninha

They can do whatever they want I think, the main issue is that the tobacco industry moves millions and no one wants to mess with that.
  13. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Here in Canada it is illegal to import e-cig liquid with nicotine in it, though it is not illegal to posses. It has been about 5 years now that the Canadian government has been saying that they can't approve vaping because they haven't run any tests yet. Well, run some tests already!!!!! I'm sure the tobacco dealers have something to do with this and the government doesn't want a cut taken out of their sin tax.
    Peninha likes this.
  14. Strykstar

It will be that way for the foreseeable future, the tobacco industry is a HUGE source of taxes for just about every government, so they will keep trying to keep electronic cigarettes off the market.
    It seems like it has been a "new and unknown technology" for years now, I agree with julian, just run the tests!
  15. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

There hasn't been enough research on the e-cigarette. Some experts believe they can be just as lethal as regular cigarettes in the long run. However, they will save you more money.
  16. Strykstar

That still sounds like a positive solution then.
    Worst case scenario you're doing as much harm to yourself as with regular cigarettes and saving money, and there's a chance that it's not as bad for you.
  17. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

This is true.
    I guess in the long run, e-cigarettes may not be a terrible option for frequent smokers.
  18. Peninha

Wow, I was not aware of this, how cynical of them, so they approve tobacco, but not vaping, who are they trying to fool with these measures?
  19. hollysheats

hollysheats Member

My advice is to stop using the liquid period. I got pneumonia both times I used the e-cig. I don't like them and I would not recommend anyone use them. Just go back to normal cigarettes or just quit period.
  20. I feel that smoking electronic cigarettes may be a healthier alternative to smoking regular cigarettes. Electronic cigarettes contain less chemicals and additives than regular cigarettes. Some electronic cigarette brands even let you choose how much nicotine you take in each puff.