An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are people close to you supportive?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by primalclaws1974, Dec 7, 2014.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For the most part, people in my life were supportive. The people that I hung around with (my so called friendship group) were all big drinkers and didn't get why I wanted to quit, and that was hard. I feel like in a way, the recovery process allowed me to determine who was really there for me and who wasn't - so I'm grateful for that.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes they are!
    But that is because I choose the people close to me very wisely. I choose people who I know will support me and I support them.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

When I was an alcoholic, unfortunately nobody was supportive. I have uncles and aunties who used to talk ill of me whenever I passed near them. My mother was the harshest of them all , but she could advice me sometimes. My brothers never talked anything about it since they also used to drink.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I don't drink any more, when I used to everybody around me did aswell, so it wasn't the case of criticism, it was just a case of its the normal thing to do.

In fact it was the opposite for me, because when I did say that I was cutting down or stopping drinking, a lot of people laughed and criticised me for that. It felt as though I was breaking their little club up.