An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are slim cigarettes safer?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amin021023, Sep 9, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I smoke slim cigarettes now because they seem safer but don't like them much, I prefer that if I'm smoking a few cigarettes a day, it'd be fat ones...

do you prefer slim cigarettes to fat ones?
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I wouldn't say they were safer - you're still breathing in smoke and a bunch of chemicals including the very addictive nicotine. As they are slimmer they have less packed into them but that's the only difference.

When I smoked I bought regular sized cigarettes. The brand I bought it reasonably strong though so when I tried to switch to lights I just ended up smoking twice as many.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Not really, there's no big difference. There are a lot of chemicals, nicotine etc. included in that slim cigarette, probably even more since I noticed that those types of cigarettes have a more emphasized taste and aroma. It might be worth researching this topic.
  4. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

I think maybe as a step to quitting, but no in the long run they are still the same ****, maybe use them to slowly cut back then quit all together would be the best way to use em.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Effects of smoking do not depend on how slim or fat your cigarette is. What matters is how your body reacts to nicotine and smoke. Different people react differently to different chemicals. Second hand smoking can be as dangerous as first hand. We have to stop smoking!
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As others have said I don't think they're any safer either to be honest and I just think people think they are due to the size. I'm a smoker myself and am looking at ways to quit, cold turkey isn't an option for me, so I'm looking at other alternative methods, but at the end of the day smoking anything is going to be bad for you.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It doesn't matter how thin the cigarettes are. You are still getting the harmful chemicals when you in hale it. I really think that your question is a joke. I can't believe that it was a serious question.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I had tried smoking slim cigarettes before. They are a waste of money in my opinion, as they are not as strong and one tends to smoke more, thus the pack finishing faster. And some of them are even more expensive than regular cigarettes, just because they look glamorous. In my city we call them "woman cigarettes".
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Just because there slim doesn't mean there safer. Cigarettes have harmful chemicals in them that go into your lungs. The only safe alternative that involves smoking that I've heard of is e-cigarrettes. The only reason I mentioned e-cigarettes is because there have been studies about them. Slim cigarettes are still cigarettes and not a safer alternative.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It really does not matter how slim the cigarette is because you are still inhaling harmful smoke and it is all bad for you. It is the same thing as choosing an ultra light smoke instead of a full flavor. You are still breathing in harmful chemicals.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There are no cigarettes that are safe to smoke.

It doesn't matter if they are slim or not. Smoke any cigarettes and you will eventually, and you increase the risk of getting smoking-related diseases in addition to all the negative health effects which accompany smoking . . .
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

As all the others have said there is no such thing as safer cigarettes. None of them are good for you. It is best just not to smoke at all. The only safe cigarette or no cigarette at all.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think the only real difference really would be that they contain slightly less tar and nicotine unless the brand of tobacco is stronger. Obviously, some brands produce tobacco stronger than other brands, so it's not really the size you should be concerned with but, rather, the tar and nicotine content.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've never been a smoker but an uncle of mine prefers to smoke slim cigarettes. He reckons that they're safer and he has gradually cut down on the amount of cigarettes he smokes on a daily basis. I honestly haven't researched the matter but there's less of a smoke stench whenever I visit my uncle's place. Perhaps there is less nicotine in a slim cigarette as opposed to a normal cigarette.
  15. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

The slim ciggerttes are not healthier at all, they are just rolled thinner. It is possible that the slims your smoking have less nicotine or tar, these are the only ways a cigarette can be healthier. This varies from brand to brand and from flavour. If you want to know if a pack is healthier, check the ingredients. That being said no tobacco ciggerette is healthy, they are flavoured with chemicals and tobacco smoke is damaging on the lungs. The healthiest way to smoke tobacco without using a vaporizer is to roll natural tobacco yourself.
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thеrе is nо suсh thing аs 'sаfе' сigаrеttеs nо mаttеr hоw slim thеy аrе.Slim сigаrеttеs аrе а mаrkеting hоаx usеd by thе industry tо duре аnd еxtrасt mоrе рrоfits frоm thе wоrld's lаrgеst tоbассо mаrkе
  17. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There is no difference in smoking slims and smoking regular cigarettes. Both still have nicotine and tar.
  18. melody

melody Active Contributor

When I smoke a slim, I choose the long ones. I find that I smoke about half, put it out and later do the other half. The amount of tabacco in a long slim and a regular cigarette is nearly the same (weigh them). Since it is longer and the draw is slower, I can get what I need and then smoke the other half later. I smoke half as much when I smoke long slims.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There is some evidence to suggest that each inhale from a longer cigarette (e.g. superkings) causes less damage than shorter cigarettes, due to the smoke having further to travel during the draw. However, there is also evidence to suggest that re-lighting a half-smoked cigarette worsens it's effect on the health than if you had smoked it in one go without putting it out.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that those slim cigarettes are not safer. As mentioned, if you smoked several of it, it was like smoking the fat one. Better to totally get rid of smoking than still smoking the slim version of it.