An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are the effects of weed psychological?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Hiraeth, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I wouldn't call myself a pot head but I do smoke up now and then. I don't do it out of any necessity or craving. Sometimes when my friends and I get together to drink and chill, someone might just go the extra mile and bring a couple of joints. I've noticed though, when I'm stressed and preoccupied with worries and other thoughts, smoking up doesn't relieve me of anything, I don't feel even remotely high even after smoking more than a full joint.

At other times, when I'm in a better and freer mood, just a few drags give me a buzz and lightheadedness.

I'm not propagating smoking up or anything, I'm just curious to know if the effects of marijuana are in sync with the emotional state of the smoker.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

From all the experiences I have heard people have with marijuana, it is definitely a drug that works better whenever the user is in a better state of mind. Whenever you are sad and smoking, it seems to just make you feel numb rather than good. Whenever you are happy and carefree, it emphasizes that carefree feeling.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Weed can have both psychological and physical effects on the user. Depending on the amount you've ingested, weed can take on deadly proportions when taken excessively (beyond the recommended amount). You have to be careful when using it. Although it's legal in select states, there are still criminal charges involved if you go beyond the limit.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It's been a long time since I smoked weed, but when I did, I immediately felt high shortly after smoking 1 small joint the size of a cigarette stick. I had no problems then, so I couldn't say if I would feel anything or not if I smoked it when I was in a sad or angry mood, since I have no access to weed nowadays.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think anything we do and intake is connected with our emotional and psychological state at the time and to deny it would be counterproductive. It's why it is better for people to be raised in an environment where these things can be brought up, discussed, and in some cases experimented on with guidance and regulation so future adults can be more equipped to find their sweet spot when it comes to their emotional status in connection with their substance intake rather than just sweeping it all under a rug and hoping it works out somehow.
    Hiraeth likes this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think so. Maybe it's just all inside of someone's head, when they think smoking weed will make them high and happy, then somehow, they would feel euphoric because that's what their mind is trying to create, that sense of happiness.
  7. cheeto

cheeto Member

They can be. But it has moreso to do with how it affects you as a person. Weed doesn't affect everyone the same way. For my friends, they become more relaxed when they smoke, but when I do I become so involved in my own thoughts I go crazy because I start thinking of a lot of negative stuff I can't control. So it affects me poorly, but they love it.
  8. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

They are both body and mind. There are sativa or indica strains of Marijuana that can effect various different parts of the body, namely the brain.

http://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...brid-whats-the-difference-between-cannabis-ty

They of course would have to be a bit psychological in nature. But it also happens differently based on person to person and really what you're smoking and how you smoked it. It's not so simple as saying yes or not, no matter how we feel on the subject.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

This is why i'm not too sure if marijuana is addictive or not and its not just the nicotine that gets you hooked. I like to have a smoke every now and again but it's only when i'm in the mood. I dont see it as an essential part of getting through the day or anything like that and i dont get a craving for it.

When I do usually smoke it it's at the weekend when i'm in a good mood with a few friends. It's just somthing that relaxes the atmosphere and somthing we enjoy.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I knew people years ago that we just called them "chronic". That was an expression for people that are constantly on it and when they weren't they were constantly trying to acquire more. I remember eating at a local deli and sure enough I would look up and see one of the local "chronics" walking around the city, and it seemed like he was on the hunt for more to smoke. It had that familiar flare of making a bee line to the nearest dealer or friends house that smoked as well.

Needless to say that "chronics" smoked a lot to the point where they couldn't function normally without it. It was dead set in their heads.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

The thing with me was that I mostly smoked weed while I was drinking, so, any negative state of mind was usually gone by the time I lit up a joint. I used to wait till alcohol did its magic on me before smoking. Weed hits you way harder if your drunk, and I just loved getting really wasted.
  12. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I, reckon that it does have a a affect in the mind and also how the person acts is going to have consequences as well and also it does cause some to do things which are wrong. Weed has a strong effect and can, also cause the mind to not think in a sane way which is hard for a person to do what is right. I, think it is going to have bad conequences when a person does things and uses this to get away from problems.
  13. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I don't think your emotional state will prevent you from getting high. Well, I can't say that with complete certainty, because you claimed it does. But what I found was that Marijuana never really relaxed me like people claim it does. Things that relax me are going on long runs and listening to music, for example, however smoking Marijuana seems to put my mind on hyper drive. I continue to analyze pointless things, I'm always wanting to do stuff since I don't get high very often it's more like a lucid dream and I want to have as much fun on it as possible.
  14. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

Okay so it would seem no one is very sure on this matter, after all...

I can understand the hyperactivity, that happens most of the times, especially if I'm alone. But usually in a happy atmosphere when I'm smoking up I can feel my worries ebbing away. But when I'm too preoccupied with something to the point where I might have been almost upset before smoking up, I think my mind rejects all possibilities of a revival and keeps put in the state of gloom.

I think this comes closest to what really happens. I was hoping there would be a psychological or medical validation to it, just to make myself feel better about it. Haha
  15. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

As with everything it all depends on how you feel, going to a party when your all pissed off about your boyfriend breaking up with you heralds a different experience than when you're just going out with your friends and you've been pre-drinking, look your best etc. It's actually really good that when your stressed and you smoke you don't get chilled out, that way you are less likely to smoke, I remember times where I had to smoke just to feel sane, and believe me you do not want to get there. Most of the time though drugs just amplify your prior state, so make sure you are feeling good before hand!
  16. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

In my experience, marijuana makes me apathetic and causes me to lose motivation. I have not personally noticed any physical effects at all.