An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are the parents to blame?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Winterybella, May 9, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Yet, there are also children that are nothing like their parents. It's true that kids with great childhoods are less prone to drug and alcohol abuse but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Sometimes, things happen to children that are outside the parents' control as well. They could be abused or injured or bullied at school. There are many things that come into play that cannot be so easily blamed on parents.

Again, everyone has a choice. The person who makes the choice is the person who is responsible for it. I've seen people with horrible childhoods turn out great and people with great childhoods turn out horrible. People are accountable for their own choices and actions, and they need to acknowledge that fact (instead of looking for someone to blame) in order to begin recovery.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    deanokat likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@light... You're likely right when you say "a child filled with love, attention, and good memories of his childhood" is less likely to become a drug addict or alcoholic, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. In fact, I think it probably happens more than we think it does. That said, if parents want to do something to reduce the chances of their children having issues later on, how about being a role model and setting an example for their kids? I see so many parents of teenagers who drink excessively, post pictures of their drunk selves on Facebook, drive drunk, etc. Especially around Christmas and New Year's. Then when their kids start drinking and doing stupid things, they wonder why it's happening. Be the change you want to see in your kids, people. Be the example. Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk, too. </rant>
    light likes this.