An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are their studies to show what Marijuana can be used for ?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Acube, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Acube

Acube Member

Yes it is becoming very popular and legal but people are saying it is good for this and that. Yes we know it has medicinal properties that can be used. Yes we know the risk of using it very frequently is high.However what have the tests been showing? Is their conclusive evidence of its latest use in the medical field, and for what is it been used?
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

It's interesting that I should come upon this subject fresh out of watching the documentary on CNN, Weed 2. It's the follow up to the first documentary that spoke to the growing need for medicinal marijuana for children suffering from seizures and the like.

At the end of the day several studies are inconclusive as to the long term damage the drug has on the brain. I suggest you take a look at the documentaries. There is much food for thought contained in them.

The amazingly positive effects the drug has had on very young children is mind boggling. In spite of that, the question still has to be asked "at what expense"?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Marijuana does have medicinal applications. As said earlier in the thread it can treat children with seizures, and well as other ailments.
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Marijuana doesn't heal anything, it's a name of a Mexican plant the Legal society labeled as being their reference term to Cannabis.

Cannabis [flower buds] and hemp [the whole plant or leaves and stems], does help to heal human illnesses and diseases. Hemp oil has been curing cancers around the world in a condense form created from strong sativa strains that are high in cannabinoids, source: http://phoenixtears.ca/what-it-does-and-how-it-works/

In mainstream sciences, which has been reluctant to do more in depth research about the good effects of cannabis, has been slowly accepting the healing properties found in the herbal plant: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/patient/page2

People have to self-research if you all want to find true facts and credible information about hemp/cannabis, instead of word of mouth from ignorant other humans or misleading people.
  5. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Why so hostile? You seem to make every little thing into a confrontation or something. Why are you so angry?
  6. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

It's called being literal, but you may presume or assume it's hostility, which is false because no one has been harmed, injured, or wronged. Also, I have provided facts, which proves my case to be more than merely opinions and it is what a true man does, because a man lives and die by his words.

What you don't understand is that because people are "lazy" in doing their research, especially regarding cannabis and hemp, this is the reason why people believe in this magical word called marijuana that attorneys had made up. All this Legal thing has nothing to do with Law, because State Legislatures do not create Law but Legislative bills directed for their State Agencies and Agents use for commerce [for the most part], which regards State Citizens or Residents too. A man or woman, is always self-governing, especially in the U.S.A.

Lastly, you believe what you want, I ain't here to tell any person to do anything - however, when I see many of people past away and something like hemp oil could have saved them, don't write that I didn't try to help people with the facts. You can't expect to ever know what is true or truth, if you believe in unproven rubbish.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It's hard to distinguish between the facts and fiction in scientific research because past studies have been heavily biased so as to be used for propaganda and we are now only starting to find out and prove just by how much. Nt to mention even until today those same misinformation is still being propagated, so it might take a while for any non biased research to surface but for now I think it is important to at least note that the supposed negative effects were all exaggerated. The best way to go about it is to research it yourself and come up with a temporary conclusion for yourself as we wait for the real results. You can just watch a few documentaries and see where you can take it from there. I recently saw a short documentary by Vice chronicling the lives of children with cancer that have turned to marijuana. The title is "Stoned kids" and I'm linking it below. Again, there's no scientific evidence being shown here but I think it is still an interesting watch.

jdroc likes this.
  8. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Okay so here's a story for you. My Aunt had cancer. She didn't know it. She smoked MJ for a long time. The doctor said the only thing he could think of for her cancer not to spread was her smoking marijuana. So to just say hemp oil heals, and not the plant itself, can be misleading also. I guess it just depends on reading AND experience. Hemp oil is just starting to gain traction as a viable alternative in holistic healing world. There are many plants that have healing properties without having to alter them from their current form.

I'm just saying you don't know everything, but your style of posting comes off as you're an expert in everything you speak of. You're very well informed, which is great, but it's not the end all be all to what is out there.
  9. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

There has been several studies showing the benefits of herbs and several persons in my country has used it to treat various diseases. You can search for the researched benefits of Marijuana on some health websites.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, there are plenty of studies showing how marijuana has been used in the medical field. I posted a few links on another thread about this. You can check out some of the studies here:

http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v95/n2/abs/6603236a.html (tumor growth inhibition)
    http://www.jneurosci.org/content/21/17/6475.abstract (anti-neurodegeneration)
    http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/308/3/838.abstract (anti-tumor properties)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20859676 (breast cancer inhibition)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22198381?dopt=Abstract (anti-cancer cell invasion)

Remember, this is just a couple of links - this is just the tip of the iceberg where such research is concerned.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'm sure they fudged the statistics and results to go in favor of making it legal. Did you watch Sean Penn in Fast Times at Richmont High? Surf's up Spicoli ordering pizza in class and calling people dude. I'm pretty sure he was the classic stoner. Brain cells are not going to be in abundant with the use of mary j people.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  12. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I smoke marijuana a couple times a year, a couple meaning 2 to max 3 times a year. I've had problems with marijuana before, when I first discovered but now we are cool. I have found it to be the perfect medication for my social anxiety. Actually I think doing it maybe a little bit more, say 6 to 10 times a year would allow me to be a perfectly normal person. I have never tried it though, fearing I might end up needing it too much. There is no way around for people with social anxiety problems, you either take medication or try to deal with it naturally and just hang in there. Marijuana would be really useful for this particular illness I think, but that's just my personal experience, it might not affect everybody the same way.
  13. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Yes, research results have shown that marijuana is deemed to be potent for alleviating a number of ailments. One ailment that marijuana has found to be effective in treating is glaucoma, an eye disease which a medication derived from marijuana plant is to believe to be the most effective treatment.