An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are there any health benefits to drinking alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by jutabraonl, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jutabraonl

jutabraonl Member

because I know that the french and italian are known for drinking wine with almost all their meals, and I heard somewhere that a glass of wine a day is good for you?

but I am more curious about Pear Cider???

are there any health benefits to drinking cider? after all its made from apples unlike nasty vodka....dont know what thats made from lol
  2. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Vodka is made from either potatoes or grain, depending on which brand you buy.

They say that a glass of wine each day can help your heart, but as for other alcohols, there are no health benefits.Yes it does have pears, but after the fermentation process any benefit is eliminated.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have also read before that a glass of wine is good for the heart as well as other alcoholic drinks. I think few or some of those beverages have some benefits since those are made from fruits. Not sure if others that does not come from fruits also have benefits.
  4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Although I'm not a great fan of alcohol generally, it does help to know that a glass of wine and beer are definitely welcome to be drunk daily in small quantities since it can't help protect yourself against cardiovasculary diseases, though I'm no doctor and talking from purely personal experience. :)
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I don't know if there's any actual benefits on health, but in the mind there can be I think. A glass of wine or beer every now and again can help people to relax, and as long as it's not abused I think it can do you good to a certain extent.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The French and the Italians more than likely drink way better versions of alcohol than Americans. Italians make it in their basements and the French make the best wines to begin with. The standards are higher.
    Pear cider that probably is good. I think if you make it yourself, why not. I am sure it would be good for you. The commercial junk in the stores is a slow death because of the additives. Alcohol in itself is not bad it is all the other things that these big companies put in that complicate it.
  7. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

From what I understand, the health benefits of alcoholic beverages don't really make up for the health problems associated with it, or rather, there isn't enough evidence to say. For instance, red wine (a serving of which is only 5 oz), has antioxidants from the grapes used to make it. Antioxidants are also found in fruits and vegetables, which don't have the negative or addictive properties of alcohol.

It's also worth noting that when health professionals talk about the health benefits that may be associated with alcohol, they are talking about having a 5 oz glass of wine or a 12 oz beer per day. Any more than that, there is no question as to its deleterious effects.

In terms of countries where alcohol is consumed more regularly, my understanding is that it's often a weaker table wine that may even be watered down.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

An interesting article I found:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551
    Alcohol use can be a slippery slope. Moderate drinking can offer some health benefits. But heavy drinking can have serious consequences BUT the evidence about the possible health benefits of alcohol isn't certain, and alcohol may not benefit everyone who drinks.

But what we do know is that alcohol's negative/harmful effects will quickly cancel out whatever health benefits one could extract from it. And of course there's that catch — moderate drinking. What exactly is moderate drinking? How long does it take before you get addicted and you no longer can moderate your drinking?
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know that pear cider has fruit in it and also has antioxidants which clears free radicals and also a gluten-free alcohol, which is good for people who don't drink beer or wine. I reckon alcohol can be good for a cold like brandy and have used it, when younger for a cold, I had and helped out which felt better after drinking it. Alcohol is not really beneficial as it can make a person drunk and also spend more money on it than things which are needed, and has bad consequences.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Wine does have some benefit especially red wine. But I do not think alcoholic drinks like beer has any benefits. If you are after your health safety, just eat fruits and vegetables instead of drinking a little bit of alcohol each day.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Is not the alcohol itself that is beneficial for those who drink wine, but the resveratrol. You get that from the fermentation from the grapes, but even though drinking wine can be beneficial with health, you need to be careful with how often you drink it. Women process alcohol very different than men, is actually not good idea for a woman to drink wine daily. Women are also more sensitive to radiation :( Bummer!
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

We really do get the short end of the stick sometimes, don’t we? Haha.

I’ve heard various things about the potential health benefits of moderate drinking too, particularly wine. But truth be told, I don’t even like wine. Not to mention, you can get many of the same benefits from drinking grape juice. I’d personally prefer that.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Lol, definitely! I don't like wine either, I tasted it last year, you know the one that barely has any sugar and it was awful, but they told me it was really good, a really good harvest... It wasn't what I expected. Organic grape juice is waay better :)
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm not a scientist or anything like that, but I will say this. I don't care how much good you can find in different alcoholic drinks. The negative from these drinks outweigh the positive, and that's all that really matters. It's bad for you.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

There's health benefits to drinking alcohol in moderation. Even beer can prevent heart attacks, if it's just one or two a day. On the other hand drinking too much is bad for your health, it can cause dehydration. Wine is good for you in moderation also. In moderation alcohol can be healthy, I don't know about pear cider tho.