An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are there less and less people smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Most countries have found the same solution to reduce tobacco consumption. Tobacco has become more and more expensive along with the fact that it has become less socially acceptable then it once was. There seems to be less people smoking these days.
    Do you find that there are less smokers?
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Not really. There are less people smoking in public places but outside I still see people smoking even with the no smoking signs posted. I'm sure they're thinking what are they going to do arrest me? Restaurants don't want to lose customers some of which are regular patrons. People will find a way to smoke even if it's just a few steps away from an entrance.
  3. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I am not sure it is as easy as that but even in my country they predict a large percentage of people will have to quit or just reduce the intake because of the new law that i going to be valid in some near future. According to that law no smoking ban will be active everywhere in public. So the only place you can smoke would be your house. This will shake my country a lot because around 3000000 people over 18 smoke and another 1000000 for sure under 18. We are talking about country that has 7 000 000 citizens.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Here in Romania smoking is getting prohibited in a lot of places nowadays, but I don't think there are less smokers. A lot of the teenagers I pass by everyday smoke, let's not even talk about adults. We'll probably see significant changes only in a couple of decades from now.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I see a big reduction in smokers these days.
    I think the combined efforts of laws and education have really cut down on how many people smoke.
    Plus in most modern places we all collectively pay for health care, so the less smokers the less it costs the system.
    There is a HUGE incentive for all of society to push to reduce the rates of cigarette addiction.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that smokers here become lesser, maybe there are just more or lesser smokers in a certain area. But generally there are still lots of smokers in public places here that do not mind the no smoking signs. You can even see some in authority who smoke in public here.
  7. tomservo

tomservo Member

Sometimes I think there are less and less people smoking, but then I look around me, especially in certain areas, and everyone is smoking like a chimney. As far as I can tell, big tobacco doesn't seem to be going out of business anytime soon, even without all the advertising they once had.
  8. Joethefirst

That is a lot of people, I'm sure that many will give up smoking instead of going through the hassle of always thinking of having a smoke all day. We just have to wait and see what the result will be with this sort of legislation and if other countries will follow it.
  9. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I have not really noticed an increase, I do see it being frowned upon more and more though.
  10. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsy Member

Personally I know very few people who smoke anymore. I quit myself about 15 years ago because it was too expensive for me. I think it is around twice as much now; I just can't imagine. I saved enough money by quitting smoking to buy a house. I read somewhere that the percentage of young people in the US who smoke is lower than it has ever been. If I ever find it again I'll post it here.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't think higher price of cigarette will reduce smoking or addiction of any kind. In my observation and experience, when the price is increased, people will continue to using the same quantity however, will cut off other things.
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think there are less younger people smoking then their use to be. People know the risks involved with smoking now and choose not to do it. I work close to two high schools and I see lots of students when I go out for lunch. There are very few of them I see smoking when one time it was unusual to see one without a cigarette. The times are changing and for the better I believe.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It's hard to say. I absolutely still know a number of people that smoke, but I do think on the whole that people are more aware of the dangers these days. In my parents days, smoking wasn't known as being dangerous and I think sometimes people almost looked at it as being good for them - whereas these days in no uncertain terms we know the risks. We know the health dangers. So I think in part, that plays into some people's decisions to take up the habit in the first place.
  14. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsy Member

I don't know about other people, only myself. Cost was definitely a contributory factor in me quitting, as well as health concerns. I used a combination of the patch and wellbutrin. It was extremely difficult for me to quit and I will never have a cigarette or any type of tobacco ever again because it was so horrible to quit, and I am an addict and I know if even smoked one cigarette I would have to go through all that again. I don't think about smoking anymore so I am extremely lucky. Smelling someone else's smoke doesn't even bother me as long as it isn't extreme. I do have nightmares that I've started smoking and have to quit again. In fact it is a recurrent nightmare.
  15. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

People are smoking less and less and it's great, since there are alternatives out there such as e-cigs which make quitting much easier, and also people are willing to quit cold turkey considering how frowned upon smoking is becoming in our current time. The prices which are constantly on the rise are definitely one of the main factors which contribute to the people quitting smoking, since most of the smokers come from the low-medium class.
  16. Joethefirst

This could be because there aren't as many places that you can smoke freely anymore and people that smoke end up concentrating in the same area. I have met a great deal of ex-smokers recently and it certain does seem that there are fewer smokers then there was a few years back.
  17. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I think that the amount of smokers nowadays has significantly reduced based on the fast that marijuana has been legalized. Many people these days think that marijuana is safer drug than cigarettes so they switch drugs.
  18. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

I don't think so. Where I live I see it to be the other way around. More and more people smoking. People smoke for a variety of reasons. Some because they tried it and can't give it up and others just to 'do' something to not think about the other stuff related to their life. However, for either reason, smoking it's unhealthy both physically and mentally. I don't know why people say it's good for the psychological health but I don't think that's true. It makes you bound to something you don't want to be bound.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

The number of smokers is on the rise. Consider that there are countries that still depend on tobacco for their income. Lately more people die out of cancer than it never used to be. It means that there are a lot of people still smoking. Graphic pictures on cigarette packets have stopped many who may have wanted to start smoking but they have not affected those who still smoke.
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Sadly that isn't the case. There are still lot's of people who smoke. If you try to force people to quit it will make some want to do it more. The best way to reduce this is by continuing awareness of the harmful effects this does to your body. At the end of the day each person will make there own choice, but it doesn't hurt to tell them the consequence for each one.