An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are there less and less people smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Jan 30, 2016.

1. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

Something I have noticed in my area is that fewer younger people are smoking and that is a good thing. I think the assemblies they put on at schools against smoking and drug abuse have really helped. Back when I was a teen, there were only a few of my friends that weren't smoking as young as 13 or 14 years of age. I don't think this is as common anymore and I hope it continues to decrease.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I have been increasing my studies and what I have noticed is that in the past about half of the students would be smokers. When it used to come to the break you would see everyone rush out to go and have a smoke. Now days on a small percentage will smoke. In a class of twenty only three are smokers.
    I personally have noticed a huge reduction in smokers.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

With the constant and inevitable increase in the cost of nicotine, that's enough to eventually give some people a wake-up call. There are more distractions in the modern world and people don't get bored as fast and easily as they did 40 years ago, when there wasn't a news feed to scroll through or an online game to play. The fact that smoking is no longer encouraged or advertised is good too and with most schools having an emphasis avoiding it. Prevention is better than cure and people are focusing a lot on prevention these days. With the amount of remedies and treatments available, as well as alternatives, I think that smoking is a dying trend. The only negative effect of the latter mentioned is the fact that people who work in factories or have businesses that rely on the sales or production of nicotine/tobacco products will lose money and may find themselves unemployed. I think for whoever is in this industry, should look for alternative sources of income as soon as possible.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think there are fewer people smoking these days. I just returned from a few days in Canada, where in the past I know a ton of people smoked. I was amazed at how few people I saw smoking, though. Even when I attended music shows on back-to-back nights at a bar. Hardly anyone went outside to smoke. It was strange. Hopefully this is the sign of a positive trend.
  5. malavicious

malavicious Member

I know a ton of people who still smoke, despite how expensive cigarettes are and the constant anti-smoking ads. To be honest, I find the anti-smoking campaign to be pretty annoying. If a person wants to slowly kill themselves over the years by smoking, let them. As long as they know the risks and they aren't doing it around my kids, I could care less what you put in your body.
  6. Kolyenno

Kolyenno Member

In my experience, yes. The number is still way too big, but it's lowering day by day.

More importantly, younger generations aren't smoking! This is the real kicker.

Back when I was a teen, most of us smoked, at least small time. It was just ... normal.

Sad, I know.

But now, I see many teens walking around or sitting in bars (where we HAD to smoke almost) enjoying their day without a cig.

And I'm very happy to see that.
  7. Joethefirst

So it's not only me, I have really noticed it. I don't know if it's from the increase in price or what it is but there are definitely far less smokers then there was a few years back.
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It depends with the geographical area one is addressing. In the First World, smoking is on a downward trend. There are litigations galore with people seeking compensation for health complications arising from smoking. Cigarette multinationals have pitched camp in the Third World and Asia where the market is robust. Even here, as awareness increases, smoking is increasingly being viewed as uncool.
  9. Joethefirst

The unemployment due to the cessation of tobacco usage is just a side effect, because people will live longer the senior market will open up more. There will be a transfer of people from one sector to another. There are more and more products that help our senior citizens live better.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There are fewer people smoking cigarettes these days because most young people don't smoke cigarettes anymore. They aren't "cool." The drop in cigarette smoking however doesn't necessarily mean there are fewer smokers. There are many people who don't smoke cigarettes but smoke weed.

http://www.techinsider.io/high-schoolers-smoke-more-marijuana-than-cigarettes-and-cigars-2015-10
    One bad habit has been replaced by another which is just as bad.
  11. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Not from where I am from. Smokers are everywhere. No matter where I go I will be able to see or smell the smoke of others. Even if the prices go up they will just switch to a cheaper brand. I see this as a strategy they are doing not to get people off of smoking but to get them onto something else. What I see more though is marijuana smokers. It's becoming the new social vice out there. :/
  12. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Ah perhaps, in my age bracket yes. HA!HA! There are less smokers. But with the younger generation, I think there are more and more people smoking nowadays. I just went out with my girlfriends last Saturday and we went to this restobar to have some fun. I think we were the only group that have people that weren't smoking and drinking. The place was kind of foggy because of the smoke. We didn't stay there that long because it was suffocating. I can't believe that when I was younger I frequented those kinds of places. Oh well... ;)
  13. Joethefirst

From one ill to something much worse. :(
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd like to believe that price could stop some from smoking, but in reality the really hardcore smokers won't feel discouraged over a price increase. I know because my fiance is one of those persons, he is still smoking despite the fact he knows he is wasting a lot money on literally killing himself slowly.
  15. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I quit some time ago because I just could not afford to smoke any more. I do not know if there are less smokers or if it is just because you cannot smoke in public places like you used to be able to. So we do not see people smoking in restaurants and such so we do not realize how many people still smoke.
  16. Joethefirst

I think that everyone that smokes knows this, but it much easier to turn a blind eye to this fact then face it. The fact that the price increase is gradual and not that big, simply means that people adapt to it.
  17. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have observed a notable decline both in the numbers and in the positive perception of smoking as a vice to indulge in. Even in pubs where people have alcohol, you will find less drinkers smoking. This is as result of decades of anti- smoking campaigns which are finally bearing fruit as well as the fact that people are better educated than in the yesteryears. Smoking is no longer taken to be cool and a smoker is increasingly losing his leverage among non smokers. However, this is not replicated in all countries.
  18. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Even though I am still pretty young and I can't make an eloquent comparison I would agree with you, less and less people seem to be smoking, as it has become less socially acceptable over the last decade. Also, this might be an effect of the vaping devices which seems to have gathered lot of ground in the last couple of years.
  19. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

The statistics show there are less smokers, particularly in the western world. That said, I still see plenty of smokers. It depends on where you hang around. If you go to bars, you will see plenty of people smoking outside of the bar.