An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are there more and more addicts?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by caparica007, Oct 27, 2014.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think there are more and more now then before as it is in the movies, easily available and peer pressure is worse now then it was year ago. More and more kids feel that they need to be accepted by peers and family life, most imprtant factor, is the most common cause these days. Parents are busy working, stressing about finances or arguing and have no time for kids and actually listening to them and giving them attention that they really need. These kids are alone and have no idea about family values as there is no one to show them the way.
  2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Wow, this is a huge number Rainman, 75%! In my circle I had quite a few as well, but I had to leave that circle to live a clean life, IMO there is no other option but to leave everything behind.
  3. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Probably yes, as there are many ways to get them now for kids and the need of money is big. People would do anything to get money, even selling drugs to kids.
  4. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

That is another conversation, but in fact drugs move millions, so they want to sell it to profit. On the other hand, the people that consume it just have their lives destroyed...
  5. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath Member

As we become more aware of deug addictions around our community, we feel like the numbers are going up. But I feel like it isn't.

Because there are so many awareness and prevention programs, teens nowdays are actually moving away from them in general.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Unbelievable as it may sound, it is the truth. The religious people who try to explain away the strange phenomenon say the neighborhood is cursed.

I don't believe that though. The parents are to blame for what their kids turned out to be. If they'd guided their kids and advised them to choose the right friends then maybe their children wouldn't have ended up being drug addicts when they were/are grown-ups.
  7. Gelsemium

The neighborhood influences a lot like you say, but the parents do have a word. I have a friend who grew up in the worse possible place and he never touched drugs and he is now a police officer.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Another thing I noticed was parents who were themselves hooked on some substance didn't make great role models. Should such parents try to advice their children the advice would not be heeded and they'd end up looking like hypocrites because you can't say something is bad and still use it.
    Such people who are able to stand their ground even when everyone is swimming with the current are hard to come by. Kudos to your friend, Gelsemium.
  9. Gelsemium

Yeah, that guy was living in the tiniest room, splitting it with his brother and seeing drug addicts right at his door, but he managed to be top of his class, so credit to him and his parents...
  10. caparica007

That is an inspiring story Gelsemium, that we can all do what we want if we just stay in course and with proper guidance, well done!
  11. Gelsemium

That's true, he was a great student, he failed to access the police in the first attempt, so he tried a second and made it. Visiting his house was really inspiring to me, seeing someone like that growing in such a bad place.
  12. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

It is true, more and more people are becoming addicted to drugs this days, also more younger and younger children are getting to be drug addicts this days, you even find that drugs have now spread into the third world countries, where people can barely afford food, yet they can afford drugs, so yes, more and more peopl are getting addicted.
  13. caparica007

I have a hard time understanding how an 11 years old for example can be a drug addict, in what sort of house must that kid be growing? It's something really sad...
  14. DAE89

DAE89 Member

I don't think there are "more" addicts in the modern day, we're just more aware of addiction. The invention of the internet and the 24 hour news cycle has resulted in an unprecedented flow of information, resulting in an increased awareness of societal problems like addiction.
  15. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I don't have the exact figures but am of the same opinion if the large consignment of illegal drugs being seized on the high seas is anything to go by. You'll be shocked by how easily hard drugs have become accessible and my line of thought is, these drugs have flooded the market and the young in particular have no difficulty in purchasing them. The end result is a large percentage of our youth in this generation are quickly turning into zombies!
  16. Gelsemium

I feel that society doesn't pay too much attention to drug addicts, they probably think it's a fringe issue, but IMO it's growing more and more and affects lots of families.
  17. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

This can be either true or false depending on how you look at it. The area would most definitely vary so I would not judge so quickly. I think some people are more likely becoming addicts because of stress. I think that economical situations really does make people want to do drugs.
  18. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

It's sad, but it's true. I guess we can somehow blame it on the media. It's all around us -- the television, radio, internet. There are a lot of shows and songs that makes it look as though doing drugs is okay, and it's very alarming. I hope this trend won't continue. I don't have any child yet, and I don't want my future child to be exposed to these things.
  19. Gelsemium

True, we see drugs in sports, in fashion, with actors, politicians all the best paid and most influential areas of society have drugs involved, so that doesn't pass the right message.
  20. GoodReplays

GoodReplays Member

I honestly do not think that there are more drug addicts, there might be, but I just think it is because of increased awareness. Because now there are "Drug-Free walks", Say No to Drug campaigns, anti-drug commercials so it may be possible that since now there is more awareness, we know more about the negative implications of drugs and we can see the symptoms of an abuser.