An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are there more and more addicts?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by caparica007, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Glen

Glen Member

I have no solid numbers, but I am under the same impression as you. As time and technology advance, more and more types of drugs are emerging. Variations of well-known drugs are being created, and people like to experiment with them. With the increasing amount of drugs being put out, I assume that the amount of people using them and becoming addicted will rise as well.
  2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is the issue, I feel that with all the new drugs it's something pretty much impossible to measure. More, most drug users do it illegally so what we have are official numbers, very far from the reality I am afraid.
  3. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

That is a fact, it will depend a lot on the area and on the economic situation, if the police and governments try to stop it I am sure it can decrease.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, if you're talking about drugs like cigarettes / alcohol, yes, the number of addicts starts to grow. Just because technology and medicine has advanced so much, people think they can do anything because the doctors will save them. And that's a very stupid mentality in my opinion.

And about serious, more harmful drugs, I don't think the number of addicts is growing, as this results in death, while alcohol and cigarettes don't always do this. And while addicts die, other people become addicts. Yes, I know, it's a very morbid theory, but it's the truth, or at least as I see it.
  5. Gelsemium

So there aren't as much drugs addicts because they die? That could be a valid sad point, but the issue is also the ones that start consuming. I feel that sports and other occupations can have a big influence helping this number to decrease.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

The government does not want to do anything to contribute. I think they rather go and collect money then to help drug addicts. If someone wants something done then we have to take action ourselves.
  7. Gelsemium

I agree, I feel that if it didn't look bad they would legalize drugs and tax them just to make more profit, they really don't care what's better for us, it's just a matter of appearances.
  8. Profit5500

That is the spoken truth Gel I just do not listen too much to the government. If its working for the government that is a different story. Drug users just do not get the help from the government like they should.
  9. Gelsemium

Yeah, so true. The best help should be in the form of prevention, creating programs for problematic areas to avoid that people start consuming, to give them an alternative.
  10. Profit5500

The only thing is that you have to do is really shell out the money. If there is no money then you cannot have the programs to rehabilitate people. That is why we have to help teach our youth to steer clear from drugs. Then they would have to use good judgement to stay away from the drugs.
  11. Gelsemium

That is why such programs do not exist or when they do they are private or at least non-governmental, the government prefer to ignore this area, it's simply not profitable or disruptive enough.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here, there are also increasing number of addictions even on children. I think some reasons why it happened or happening is because they are being exposed to it like in their family, friends and media. Also, there seem to be more sources of substances now where one can be addicted to it.
  13. caparica007

That's right, some kids are totally addicted to sugar, other to computer games, it's not easy, we do not live in a healthy world, there are addictions everywhere.
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Like you, I don't think there are more and more drug addicts that it was before or maybe just a little more, the thing is that we are more aware of them and because of this we think they are more.
  15. caparica007

Sure, there is more awareness, but I feel that consumption is higher as well. Having this said, I don't have the data to support it...
  16. joe

joe Active Contributor

What I really understand is that many people even professionals are taking drugs. Many are taking secretly, you will think they are taking headache pills but in real sense they are on drugs. I agree with you that many are addicted but they wouldn't want to accept.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Even though i don't have reliable stats,the evidence is so blaring. For one ,the high number of ships being intercepted in the high seas on a monthly basis ferrying tons of illegal drugs is a clear testimony that the demand exists pointing to a high usage.Unemployment is at an all time high and this is also fueling drug use.Most of the idle youth are embracing drugs to kill boredom.
  18. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

As you see, family gatherings have heavily declined since the start of the 21st century. Due to technological advancements, so the regression of social communications. Because of this, parents had less time talking with their children. Children become more entangled into meeting their circles of friends and peers, and becoming vulnerable to addiction
  19. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

One may think that with the publicity attached to the effects of drugs on the body in a negative way, less persons would be impacted by it. This goes to show that even though the consequence is known, there is something worse that keep individuals coming back. These are the underlying features that should be addressed whether it be peer pressure, depression or just having easy access to it. It is a researchable topic, one trying to find out what was it that led individuals to gravitate toward addiction tendencies.
  20. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I would like to think that our country is working toward getting a handle on our dependence to substances - laws last year have really cracked down on the open availability of prescription drugs -- and let's hope that that deters people from having access to meds that they do not need to be dependent on.