An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are we fighting a losing battle?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am the eternal optimist and still I am not convince that marijuana is the way forward. I discourage people I know from using it because I know the risk associated with it's use. Where I live it's still illegal but it seems like so many just don't care and don't ever intend to quit. Far from quitting, I'm sure many are eager to welcome me into the world of weed.

Are those of us who discourage it's use, fighting a losing battle when we try to discourage people from using marijuana?
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

If you're really close friends with someone and your decisions and opinions make a big influence on that person's life, then discouraging them may work. If someone like Leonardo DiCaprio went on about how bad weed is, then people will listen. If you're just that random "loser" going on about how weed is so bad, then you probably won't be making a difference. The text that says "Smoking will kill you" is on every pack of cigars, yet people still buy them. That example is proof enough to make me believe that opinions alone aren't going to help everyone. They need some sort of physical proof or affect on their life to wake them up and realize what drugs will do to them.

I personally don't get myself involved in other people's lives and I let them make their own decisions as I hate people who try make your life decisions for you. But if you are concerned about a friend, it helps to help.
  3. Winterybella

I don't think I put myself out there but during the course of a day people will find me and tell their story. I'm in retail and I right within their reach. A lot of the younger people I come into contact with somehow want to talk to the 'cool' mom and I honestly worry for them. They often make me feel like their mom and I can't help but want the best for them as I do for my own son.

You make a valid point when you say that some probably need to hear from celebrities whose opinion their seem to value more.
  4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I don't believe this is a "battle" that one can win or lose. I think the over-demonization of the drug isn't helpful, but I also think that the massive campaign to paint the drug as harmless doesn't help either. I say legalize it but make sure that all the information about it available so that people understand the risks--then they can decide for themselves whether or not they should partake.
  5. Winterybella

Well @Scooby, I have read many a story here and elsewhere to suggest to me that many have had to battle or struggle with the addiction of marijuana. There are even those who firmly believe that it was a gateway to more dangerous drugs.
    I ask the question for many I know whose lives have been negatively impacted because of it's use. Last I heard life itself is a constant struggle/battle.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It's not really that harmful, you know the fact that even doctors use it to treat sick people. It's when it's abused that it starts to become harmful. I have used it and I can attest that it's not even addictive, and all it does is to change your moods and increase your appetite.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It will ultimately depend on how society at large approaches this situation. If society continues to ignore the problems which are experienced by substance abusers, then we are fighting a very difficult battle. I also prefer to be optimistic and hope that folks will become more sensitive to the issues facing substance abusers of all kinds. Perhaps then, we'll be able to win! :)
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The world is losing the war against drugs. All drugs. And with marijuana being legalized and misinformation being spread by pro-marijuana advocates I believe that it's not going to be easy to discourage someone who believes they "myths" from experimenting just to find out if what they've heard is true. That though shouldn't discourage anyone from trying to convince someone they know not to start using marijuana or stop using marijuana if they already are using the drug. Any little thing you do can get someone to change.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    — Winston Churchill
  9. Winterybella

@Rainman, I have to confess, I get quite discouraged and these days when I am confronted by the advocates of marijuana in particular I just listen. Once I used to try to discourage them from using and to a lesser extent still do, but it honestly feels like a waste of time for the most part.

It's my concern for family and friends using that brought me to the forum. But sometimes even here, it's viewed as a drug that's 'really not that bad' or is 'overly demonized' when from where I sit we just should not 'promote' it's use and this has nothing to do with the 'medical' marijuana.

Hence I asked the question if we are losing a losing battle and I think the answer is a resounding YES!
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

It seems marijuana is being socially acceptable thing in many cultures and countries. It is true that marijuana is not as bad as heroine or cocaine, however, marijuana is addictive and consequences are bad. Since marijuana also has some health benefits, marijuana is being used as medicine especially for mental conditions. Due to medical marijuana, marijuana is being acceptable and lots of people are using it.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

To be honest I think there are far worse drugs out there :/ But marijuana is still a drug that can cause a lot side effects if used long term, some of them are fairly serious, specially in people who had mental issues before they started smoking. It's awful, but I guess when it comes to drugs we are losing the battle for sure... drug use is in the rise :(
  12. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I do not believe that marijuana is a gateway drug. I think people are going to use other drugs because they want to or are around people who use them. I do not believe it is the best thing for people either, but no matter what you do people are still going to use it and other drugs. All you can do is to keep trying and not giving up even though it looks like you are losing a battle.