An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are You Happy?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by bluedressed, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

For the most part I am a happy person and I am greatful for the things I have. I have a roof over my head, healthy kids, and a good job. There are many people out there that do not have these important things in their life. Sure I would be more happy if my fiance opened up and talked to me more, I had a better job, and maybe some more friends that I could really open up and talk to, but a person can't have every single thing they want in this world.
    Zyni likes this.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

That was a wonderful story. Thank you for this post. It is important to reflect on your own happiness in life. Realizing that there are people who care is one of the most rewarding things in the entire world.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  3. Kappys

Kappys Member

I think that happiness comes from being thankful for life and what you own. In this world people are capitalists focused on obtaining currency. You rise, you fall, and money will always be a problem in front of you. You resort to drugs and relaxing things like alcohol to suppress your fall, but that's never enough. Enjoy what you have, and never expect anything good to happen, and you'll be surprised at the joys life has to offer.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Thus may sound silly, but I always expect the worst possible outcome for everything and I get really elated when bad things don't happen and good things do happen. It also makes the blow of the bad things a lot easier to handle, because it was expected in the first place.
  5. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Maybe not as happy as I could be, I'd say I'm alright.
    I have such moments in my life when I have suicide thoughts and self harm,
    but then after few days I feel happy and motivated it's really awkward and it surprises me.
    Once I thought that I had a personality disorder, but yeah it's not quite possible.
  6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I am ok too, I mean, what's happiness right? I am not depressed or anything, I try to enjoy the good things of life, so life is good atm.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

A very thought provoking question and I think the intention with which it is asked is so kind and important. I like this approach that a classmate could simply take and I think I would like to adopt it. I can certainly ask myself this question and answer not 100%. So then it is important to what are the reasons behind the unhappiness and perhaps we can start taking approaches to change slowly. If we don't honestly ask and analyze we can't make the change.
    Zyni likes this.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

This is a very positive outlook on life. It is good to see what you have, take the time to appreciate what you have and be happy with it.
  9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That's pretty much how I feel too, I try to focus on the bright side of things, looking at the negative aspects won't bring us any good will it?
  10. davidj96

davidj96 Member

After all that I have been through, I must say that I truly am quite happy. After going through recovery and getting back onto the right path that I should be on, I'm doing everything that makes me happy and its absolutely amazing. I'm loving life right now and I have been for quite awhile. Never will I ever go back to my old ways!
    Zyni likes this.
  11. mikka254

mikka254 Member

No one is ever really happy. As humans, we have this constant pursuit of our own version of happiness. So what you should do is not try to be happy but be able to understand that you are blessed to be alive and well and that every single day is a gift and a journey. Appreciate your spouse and your loved ones and make them happy in whatever way their version of happiness is and let them be there for you as well. Live your life as if you know tomorrow you will still see another sunrise so you should work at making today better so that you have a god start the next day. Avoid self destructive behavior.
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Such a great story. I've seen people who you can tell are just truly happy and okay no matter what. I want to be one of those people. I'm working on it.

I used to be very negative all the time when really, I had a lot to be thankful for. I count my blessings more now. I try to be more grateful for what I have/can do/etc. instead of worrying about what I don't have. It's helped me become more content.

Overall, I'd say I'm happy in my life. Everything isn't perfect, but it's good. It's better than before. It gets better every day.
  13. 003

003 Community Champion

Honestly, I don't think I'm happy. If I'm living today it's because I think of the people who will be greatly affected of my loss who I simply love the most. I don't want to give them a hard time coping with the loss the I will give them with my death, not to mention the trauma. I love my family and I'm willing to sacrifice for them. And my sacrifice is living my own life.
  14. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

That's sort of sad. Surely if you love them this much, you can find happiness in good times spent with them, at the very least?
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, my happiness has it's moments. It's always not permanent, just like any emotion, and it comes to pass. But you made a good point regarding asking a recovering addict or any person in particular if they're happy. It lets them know that you have concern for them. I think more people should do that.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice to know how you feel when you were asked such question. :)
    It is really nice that there is someone there concern about you and would like to see you happy. This reminds me of someone who used to ask me if I do have problems every time I was just sitting in a side silently. I can feel the concern and it is sometimes enough to make you feel better.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

This breaks my heart. If you have people who love you, and whom you love in return, surely there is something good in your life.

I'm not trying to pry, but just in general do you mind sharing what's keeping you from enjoying your life and your family?

I wish you well. I will say a prayer for you.
  18. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Look into bipolar disorder. The dramatic mood fluctuations may have something to do with that & if that is the case maybe there are working treatment options for you.

Am I happy? Inherently? No. Are there times when I am happy? Yes, but then you question what happiness really means. Or it comes to HOW happy am I? Could I be happier? Most of the time we're all going with the flow of life. Circumstance can determine our happiness. People can affect our happiness. There are just too many outside factors to really say I'm inherently happy. How about: I'm happy enough.
  19. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

For the most part I am happy. I get down some times, and I just want to cry. Then I try to just start acting silly and laugh, and cut up to make others laugh so it will improve my mood as well.
  20. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well I am alive and well physically and mentally and therefore I am happy. One don't need material things to be happy and material things don't bring happiness as we have seen time and time again with people who are rich but are drug addicts. Happiness is a state of mind and that should be the ultimate goal of everyone.