An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are You Happy?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by bluedressed, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is the big deal right there Rowe, many many people don't have the capacity to be happy because they are always focusing on the negative side of things...
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes it is a good question. Observing someone you can tell but when you ask them. It can be interesting. Some don't even know what happiness looks or feels like. I'm thinking of someone saying to me that i was happy about a situation. It was just kind of disturbing how oblivious to my feelings this person was. Being happy in any given situation is something I try to do my best with. It doesn't necessarily mean that I am truly happy. I know what makes me happy. There is a difference between optimum and just getting by. I am certain that I've only grazed the surface of happiness since there is an element of slight fear. Fear sets in when happiness jumps from the basic to exhilaration beyond the norm.
    I think someone once asked me that question too. I remember feeling this numb, dull sensation of wanting to say, not like I would like to be. But the one who was oblivious saying you are happy with this. It was just kind of shocking to me that someone so close to me would be completely clueless as to my actual level of obvious sadness. Just trying to be as happy as you can every day with whatever is. It's time to step it up and make the answer to that question obvious.
    Zyni likes this.
  3. This is probably the most touchful post I have seen so far. I have never thought about it, I am included when I say that asking someone "How are you doing" is just a courtesy, I don't ask that to really know how people is feeling and it terrifies me.
    You are totally right about the meaning of that question. Makes me wonder if everything I have been doing so far has a purpose... if everything I have been doing leads me to where I want to be.
    A teacher once left me a reflection, she asked me if a I was the same person from 2 years ago. I inmediately said no. It's because we are constanly changing, making decisions to achieve a goal. That is what we need to do, we have to do things that we love, don't take anything for granted, and make people matter.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

It is really hard to say. Happiness is based on your situation and mood. Happiness can be something such as having a cup of coffee when you want most, or find the perfect job, going on a vacation etc. Happiness differ from people to people. They say true happiness is all about being contented with what you have.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If I'm being honest, at the moment I wouldn't say that I'm happy but I'm getting there slowly.

For a person to be truly happy I think they need to have a balance in their life, and sometimes it can take a lot of time to finally achieve that.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm happy now - happier than I've ever been I think. That happiness just brings me a level of contentment I guess, and I feel so much more grounded in my everyday life. I don't think if you told me I would feel like this drug free when I was battling addiction I would have believed you.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I said that I am happy in my life because of my family and caring friends who are with me in my life. And one thing I like to share is that having the material possessions in life sometimes will not really give us the happiness we want in life. I always believe that having a peace of mind will always complete my happiness in life.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Material possesions certainly don't make a person happy, they just make people think they do.

I know a lot of people who have the good job, big house and fancy car but they're miserable. It's what's going on in your personal life that makes all the difference.
  9. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think true happiness goes way beyond situation, mood, and circumstances. There are people who can find joy even though they have had some horrible things happen to them. We have to make ourselves happy, choose happiness, in my opinion. If we rely on circumstances, things, or other people to make us happy, we never will truly be.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Thanks, I think I am going to ask some of the people I care for whether they are happy or not. I would hazard a guess, that most are happier than me, but I am trying to make better choices that will increase my happiness level. It is not a want to, it is more of a need to.
    Zyni likes this.