An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are you just a social drinker?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Kappys, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Kappys

Kappys Member

Some people drink to be social for a few Friends from time to time, but some are chronically cursed with downing a bottle every night. What are you? Is there an in between?
  2. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

There is an inbetween. It's the social binge drinker. You aren't doing it alone so you don't feel shame for it, but it is just the same.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

There is an in between, but it is an increasingly difficult line to constantly straddle. There are many people who are social drinkers, but all addicts were at one point social drinkers. No one drinks for the first time thinking that they are going to be addicted.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have a couple of cold beers about once a month, so probably at the lower end of the scale. It is a wide spectrum though, ranging from the teetotal right through to the raging alcoholic, with several different groups in between.
  5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Not every person is an addict. I guess that's the in between you're trying to refer to. There are people who can socially drink & there are people that cannot socially drink. Having an addictive personality, having alcoholism in your family, & a number of other things can affect how & why you drink. In fact, why you drink is probably the most important thing to consider.
  6. sllrambleon

sllrambleon Member

Couple of years age I was a casual drinker who did not need to drink much. I was doing it so I would get relaxed quicker and to fit in. Nowadays I went further, I drink more often, some of the days I have to get up early tomorrow and its starting to affect me. I am not an alcoholic but I believe , alcohol is doing me harm. However it is not easy to just stop, sometimes the craving is just too strong.
  7. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I'm just an occasional drinker. I don't really even drink even when I'm with friends who drink. I don't do it when I'm not really feeling like I have to celebrate.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't drink at all, but I'm friends with some people who drink a bit too much during parties and social gatherings, but they don't really get addicted to it and are just victims of having a hangover. I think if every people were to practice self-control and moderation, then alcoholism can possibly be avoided.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't drink that much at all, but I do drink whenever I'm out with friends so I am definitely just a social drinker. Even my friends who tend to drink a lot more than I do would probably still be considered as social drinkers, mostly because they don't actively seek it out enough to be considered alcoholics.
  10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I drink socially, but not in every social situation. It really just depend on the mood I'm in. I celebrated my birthday with my boyfriend who doesn't drink at all, but he got me a nice bottle of wine so I had a glass. That weekend I celebrated with girlfriends at a night club. They were getting pretty tipsy and I didn't even have one. Just depends on my mood.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I am social drinker. The only time I ever drink is when I am with friends and we hit the town. That seems to be the only time that we drink alcohol. If I'm home on the computer, then no. Alcohol is not part of my everyday routine. It's just that, social.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

In my drinking days, which are now long behind me, I used to drink alone and also for social reasons. I always needed to reach that level where I felt "happily intoxicated" which usually happened for me after the third glass of wine. When I was in the company of others, I would usually contain myself and try not to get totally drunk, as I used to get quite unpredictable and do crazy things. But at home, in my apartment I would drink until I passed out..
  13. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

I don't think one should even start drinking socially. they will inevitable start to binge drink. Every weekend they will drink so much and sometimes to the point of passing out. After that, they won't be able to only drink on the weekends, it'll slowly start to go everyday. I hate how people think that you need to drink in order to have fun. Just don't drink at all and you won't ever have a problem.
  14. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I have not had my first drink yet but I see my sister drink wine more than beer. I am still debating on whether I want to go into social drinking. I think I might drink and get out of that comfort zone but I do not know yet.