An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are You Open to Your Children About Recovery?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 6, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

When it comes to your children, are you open to them about your journey in recovery? Do you feel that it is important to open up to them so that they feel as though you are being honest? Or maybe you feel it is best to let them come to you when they are ready. I know everyone is different when it comes to what they feel comfortable with when it comes to opening up to their children.

Part of me feels like it's important to be open with our children, because we don't want history to repeat itself. You know what they say, "If you don't know about History, then you're bound to repeat it." Addiction is so prevalent in my family, that I think it is important to educate my children about it, but without making them feel like they will go down that path indefinitely. My parents tried to warn me about addiction, but in some aspects, I think they were "preparing" for me to become an addict, which I felt was very counterproductive and somewhat conditioning.

I think there are plus sides to both being open and honest, and also by being private. To me, the benefits of honesty outweigh privacy, but I can definitely see why some may want to keep their journey personal. How open about it are you to your children, and why?
  2. 003

003 Community Champion

It depends on the age of your children. If your children aren't even old enough to understand something as complex as your scuffle, then opening up to them would do any good. It might in fact harm them, because you couldn't simply just tell to them that don't do as I do because you are their parent. They see you as someone to look up to, so the tendency is that they might do just what you do. Also if your children are mature enough, but not open-minded enough to accept you, they might just end up disappointed and so your relationship with them might wobble and eventually fall onto the ground. It's best to share with your friends who you believe are capable of helping you.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Opening up could go either way. Telling your kids about your experiences as an addict may get them to experiment especially if they've never seen you drunk or something. However for children who've seen the negative influence of drugs in your life and by proxy have been affected by your addiction, telling them about your addiction and why they shouldn't touch drugs will convince them to stay away from them because they know what they'd be getting themselves into should they start using the drugs.

In addition to all that, if kids ask you about drugs and whether you used them or not, then in this case I believe you'd have no choice but be honest lest they lose faith in you.