An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Are you too ashamed of going to rehab?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by roger1003, Mar 19, 2016.

1. roger1003

roger1003 Member

I wanted to know your thoughts as to why you don't go to rehab. Is it because you are shamed about what other people will think of you? Here is my advice. Don't be. People that you should keep in your life should be the people who will support you and not judge you.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think it depends on the person. For me I didn't go to a structured rehab because I felt like I had the support network around me that would be able to get me through it. I don't think there is anything shameful at all though about going to an organized rehab center or program - in fact I think it's pretty admirable to be able to say "I need this support and I'm going to find it!"
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I'm pretty sure that there are people who are ashamed to go to rehab. For one, they might have a successful career and think that if someone knows about their struggles, they might lose the respect and the job itself.

Another reason might be that they wouldn't want their families to know about their addiction. More often than not, an addict does drugs or drinks alcohol in secret. And going to a rehab might expose their darkest secrets.

Then one reason might be that they aren't really into social situations. They don't want to mingle with other people even if they are professionals. Lastly, it might be because they don't think a rehab can help them at all or maybe they don't think they have a problem.

But there are people who successfully fought and won their war with addiction even without a rehab. I guess it all depends on the person's motivation and support system. I still believe going into rehab is the best for people who has it worse and doesn't have the support they might need though.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's nothing to be ashamed of IMHO.

Addiction is an illness. Maybe some addicts don't know that which is why they might not be willing to go to rehab. When someone contracts an illness they go see a doctor. Addicts should do the same thing. Once they realize they have a problem they should seek help.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

If you feel like you need to go to rehab, don't let the thought of what other people may think stand in your way. Worrying about whether or not someone is going to have an opinion isn't going to keep them from having one. You have to put yourself first, and do whatever is necessary to get back on the right track. There's nothing wrong with seeking help for addiction. It's a disease that can be treated; not something to be ashamed of.
  6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

As another users mentioned, it depends on the person, some people are nervous to open up in front of other people, because if you think about it it might be a big deal to tell your story to complete strangers, but at the end of the day that's the point of it, we need to loose fear to open up, but isn't the easiest thing to do.