An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Armed service members smoking in public

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 22, 2015.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

When I was on vacation last year I was staying at a hotel the same time as a man in uniform. Day after day I saw him outside, smoking while in his uniform. We were in Colorado Springs, so there were lots of people seeing him doing it. Does this seem inappropriate? If he is in uniform then he is at an official capacity. To me, this seems wrong. It would be like seeing a police officer smoking.
  2. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I definitely don't see this as being wrong! Cigarettes are still something that people send in care packages to soldiers, and it has been that way for years, especially years ago. I think that if that is a way for them to destress that they should be able to do that, especially since they have risked their own lives for ours.
  3. primalclaws1974

Cigarettes used to be issued by the government many years ago (I think it stopped after WWII), and care packages are sent from loved ones. If a soldier already smokes, of course they are going to send them to them. This is a different issue. It is just not professional. Would you be okay with a police officer smoking while on patrol? I don't see many people being very accepting of such a thing.
  4. DiscoLizard

DiscoLizard Member

Government positions like military and police usually have the stipulation banning smoking while in uniform, as the public contributes this act as slacking off on the job. Are you currently attempting to quit smoking, primal? I wish you all the best in your efforts if this is the case and sincerely hope you can maintain a positive attitude when events like this smoking service member intrude on your progress.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are also officers in uniforms here who smoke in public which is really not right. There is an ordinance or law that public smoking is prohibited and it is really irritating to see those who should caught those smoking in public smoking. That is why there are lots of smokers here who are smoking everywhere even besides a police officer. I think smoking should be really just a private thing or smoke together with those who also smoke, not with those who might be suffering from asthma or other type of lung illnesses who might be standing or walking with you in a public place.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

If the cigarettes stop him from properly doing his job then sure. If he were smoking inside a public building or in a car with kids, sure. But the fact of the matter is he's not getting paid to not smoke, his being paid to guard something or someone. As long as he does his job, that's all that matters. What if they fired him? What next? We fire someone else for drinking soda or eating McDonald's on the job?

I've learned through experience that tobacco is a vile weed, but if anyone who did anything unhealthy were fired from their jobs, we'd have a 99% unemployment rate. If I'm getting mugged a police officer saves me, I don't care if he has a smoke in his mouth or whether he looks professional. As long as he does his job, I'll walk away a happy man.
  7. primalclaws1974

Thanks for the replies. No, I have never smoked. I suppose I am a little more against smoking than the average person, but I hate everything it represents. bsthebesnster, I fail to understand your logic. People can't drink alcohol on the job, even a single drink that would not be enough to affect your work performance, and not risk getting fired. Why should smoking be any different? Smoking a cigarette in uniform isn't even closely related to a McDonald's worker eating food.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I wasn't talking about McDonalds workers, I was talking about any worker eating FROM McDonalds on the job. It smells bad, kills you and grosses me out. Just like cigarettes. And alcohol is much different than cigarettes. In some places, it's illegal for people under 25 or so to have even one drink before driving, the reason for this is that one drink CAN effect some people's performance.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It wouldn't bother me at all. Soldiers do a damn difficult job and deserve to have a smoke if they choose. What does annoy me though is seeing restaurant workers smoking on their breaks outside the store front. I always wonder if they wash properly afterwards. I'm not saying they shoudn't have a smoke break but perhaps they could have it somewhere a little more discreet.
  10. 23arrow23

23arrow23 Member

I don't see a problem with this. Police officers and and other service members are not special in any way. They neither have exceptional morality nor are they different from the rest of us and shouldn't be seen as such. They are human too, with needs and vices just like the rest of us. Seeing them as role models nowadays seems a bit naive with all those police brutality videos circulating the internet.
  11. primalclaws1974

Why should a store clerk have to be discreet and yet, a soldier should freely smoke? Because the soldier is a "higher class"? That they "earned" it? I would think that a trained and disciplined professional would not smoke at all, let alone for the world to see. It is a disgrace to the uniform.
  12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I don't see the problem with a soldier smoking. Smoking isn't illegal, so they are doing nothing against the law. Many jobs, both private and government jobs, allow for people to take a break from their work periodically. I see no difference between the soldier smoking, or the non smoking employee hanging out the the water cooler for several minutes gossiping with other coworkers - neither are doing their jobs at that moment, but they are taking a break.

In fact, when I worked in an office environment, some of the "chatty cathy's" in throughout the office were the worst offenders of standing around all day yapping to each other and not getting anything done. My smoke breaks were about 7 minutes from the time I left my desk to the time I got back. I've seen plenty of other coworkers waste 30 min to an hour goofing around chatting about non work related stuff. Our incompetent CMO even had a dart board in his office and would goof off and play darts, while he was taking in a very comfortable six figure salary. The IT department all had Call Of Duty installed on their work computers, and would sit around playing that. That's more of a grounds to get fired than a 7 minute smoke break.
  13. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

I feel like he probably should have chosen a more discrete place to smoke instead of a bunch of people walking by. But at the end of the day, what harm does having a smoke on the job do? Would you say the same of a surgeon going outside to smoke after a 7 hour surgery? Or a school teacher smoking across the street while the kids are at recess with the aide? Not trying to attack you, just trying to get across my train of thought.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Smoking is a "leisure" activity [should be indulged in at one's leisure time] and should be treated as such. A policeman never should smoke while they are on duty because among other things they are not supposed to be doing drugs while they are working.

In answer to your question about the smoking soldier . . . I think there's a small difference. On the front lines smoking might be an entirely different matter but anywhere else I suppose it's OK to smoke.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I don't really think there is much of an issue with people smoking in uniform as long as they are in designated smoking areas. I feel for some of the soldiers as they have been to war and seen things that the rest of us never wish to see in our lives. If they want to light up, let them.
  16. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Yeah! They are human too. They cannot keep changing their uniforms every time they feel the urge to smoke. Like Rosyrain said, as long as they smoke in designated areas, I think we should not bother too much.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Hmmm. I don't know good question. I think they can take breaks and do this. I guess smoking makes them feel tough. One would think they would want to be healthy, but apparently not. It does seem odd that someone from Colorado Springs would smoke. People are so health conscious there. Sometimes cops come from different parts of the country. They transfer there or move just to get the job. People do what they do.