An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

As effective?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by kcareconnections, Oct 27, 2014.

1. I know sometimes people need to use rehab programs that are not of a high cost. Some may even need to look for free options. I am wondering how well these programs work. Do you think they can be as effective as more expense programs?
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It depends on the addiction. For some addictions a person will need to be there for at least a few days to detox from the drug, so a day only program will probably not be effective for them. Other than that aspect it depends on the person and how determined they are to recover from their addiction. Someone who has not firmly made up their own mind that they will recover probably will not be as successful.
  3. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

In general as the expense of a program goes up, the more and more effective it becomes. However, with that said there are plenty of effective programs that are extremely cheap out there.
  4. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

I agree that it depends. But, that being said, just because it is a lower cost does not mean it can't be successful!! Remember, that some are higher cost because of the higher cost of living, taxes, etc. Also, please remember that most counselors do NOT do their job for the $$$$$. Some counselors who are paid less than others can actually be better than the ones that a higher paid.

Yes, it idepends on the addiction, and it depends on your effort, attitude and how badly you want to be clean.
  5. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

It depends on the type of program you choose to join. If the free program is run by a recognized institution or organization that helps fight drug abuse, then they could be offering some of the best counselling and guidance. Whether it's a paid rehab program or not, I believe that your committment to quit drugs determines how effective the program would be to your goals.
  6. kita

kita Member

In my personal experience, we've sent a family member to get help for alcohol abuse to the best and most expensive retreats. Then circumstances forced us to cancel our medical aid and we had no option but to use the free rehab treatments and centres. The results? She would stay sober for much, much longer.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think the issue here is the quality of treatment vis a vis the cost involved. High end rehabs are presumably well equipped hence the notion that they provide quality treatment as compared to low end or free rehabs.
  8. soconfused

soconfused Member

I believe the more expensive treatment facilities would be better equipped to help addicts. But at the end of the day it depends on the person and if they truly use the help thats given to them through these facilities.
  9. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that you would have to research the programs before you will be able to really tell. I think things like rehab centers are really subjective, and differs from person to person. Naturally, the more expensive facilities would be able to accommodate addicts the better, but for some people all of that isn't really needed.