An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Aspirin?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by SLTE, Sep 11, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

When I was growing up I had a grandmother who suffered from chronic headaches. I have no idea what caused them, but I knew they were there, because she would sleep them off often. She also suffered from consistent joint pain in her later years. To combat her pain she would always always always carry aspirin around on her, to the point that you could find them rattling around loose in her purse and wallet, and quite often sitting around in the hallway. She thought aspirin was some kind of cure-all, but given how much of the stuff she took and how little it seemed to do by the end, I wonder if there was some level of addiction involved.

Anybody else seen anything like this in their lifetime?
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Eh, no, never seen that kind of thing before. I honestly doubt someone can become addicted to aspirin... not physically at least, but maybe psychologically, as some kind of emotional crutch. I feel the same towards certain medications I take to treat certain health issues I'm dealing with. I feel much safer carrying those pills in my purse, just in case I get that sharp pain I get sometimes. I think your grandma felt the same way, she just wanted to make sure she had aspirins in case the headaches started bothering her.
  3. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

People can become psychologically addicted to anything and truly, her body could've become addicted to aspirin. I've never heard of it before, but it stands to reason that if she took them everyday that her body would get used to having the asprin. It actually could've caused her problems as its a blood thinner but there is no way to know for sure.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It is probably possible. I take an aspirin every day as well. Too much aspirin can cause problems with stomach bleeding however, or as you mentioned, blood thinning, so it is not good to overtake that as well. Moderation is the key with everything in life, and aspirin is no exception to that rule. I think your grandmother could have been addicted.
  5. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I agree with @Ali16 that it sounds like more of a psychological addiction. It might just be that she has misunderstood how asprin works and what it can actually help with too.

I haven't known anyone to take asprin with too much regularity like that. If she stuck to the recommended dose she hopefully did not do any damage to her organs from the regular use.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sounds like your grandmother just really feel no option but to take aspirin to help her ease the pain. Headache is something hard to just bear especially if severe attacks together with her joint pains.
  7. Darkbloom

Darkbloom Member

I do know of a person, who abused, of all things, nasal spray, and always had a clogged nose whatever the season was. The particular spray actually contained some sort of substances that did give you something of a buzz, but I just think he did it for the clogged nose. Most people with pain problems do take pills on the same basis as your grandmother, or I guess they don't do it really, but my father who has problems with pain usually takes 2 ibuprofen (at 400mg) a day.
  8. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Aspirin in high dosages can be lethal, especially in dosages like 300–500 mg/kg. Even some mild intoxication (150 mg/kg) can and most probably will induce vomiting and nausea.

Instead of aspirin, you could always use ibuprofen. It's way more efficient, although it's still dangerous in high dosages.
  9. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

She died a while ago, though I don't think it had anything to do with the aspirin. I recall her having some sort of accident in her apartment and never quite recovering. I was young at the time and my parents kept me out of the loop in some regards; I'll have to ask about it in greater detail some day.

As for the point about it not being a 'proper' addition, or however you might want to put it, I'd argue half of most addictions is psychological. Even if the body yearns for something, the mind always has a say in the matter - the problem being that the mind often says 'yes'.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have a parent who seems to take pills for everything. I think that when you're used to using pills for healing, you'll find a pill for everything. I would rather find natural cures but everyone is different. Aspirin is meant to relieve headaches but stopping the root cause of them can help much better. I know people who always seem to be taking pills for something.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's likely that she was experiencing rebound pain. I'll let someone else describe this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-481112/Why-painkillers-problem-cure.html
  12. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

I hаvе а friеnd whо tаkеs 4-6 аsрirin а dаy. Thе rеаsоns hе givеs inсludе hеаdасhе, еnеrgy bооst, musсlе раin...аnd sоmеtimеs nо rеаlly gооd rеаsоn. Is this аn аddiсtiоn? Whаt аrе thе роssiblе shоrt аnd lоng tеrm еffесts? Suggеstiоns fоr сhаngе?
  13. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I don't believe it was an addiction. She did it out of the need to alleviate the pain and suffering, and the aspirin would probably provide some sort of relief for a limited time, therefore she would continually take the pills to prolong the period of relief.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

As long as you don't take too many, aspirin is generally quite a good thing. However, it is something you should probably discuss with a daughter. I think that the benefits of taking an aspirn a day far outweight the risks. It is just one of the opitons that people do to maintain their health.
  15. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

Aspirin does not have any addictive ingredients so I am sure it was not an addiction for your grandmother, but more of a way to relieve pain. Many older people use aspirin instead of other pain medication. I take a low dose aspirin on a daily basis to help prevent heart attacks and blood clots, but do not take it for any other reason.