An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

At what point does an intervention/rehab visit become necessary?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Fury, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The moment one ceases control of himself in terms of his actions and thoughts and it becomes apparent to those around him, then a rehab visit will have been necessitated. There will be a need to intervene when that individual poses a threat to himself by acting in such a manner that is oblivious the dangers around him.
  2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

It's so hard to do that kell, how do we decide that we had enough? I don't feel it's a conscientious decision, it's like when we feel our life is failing and that we need to give it a new course.
  3. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

I think it becomes necessary when they have an addiction that is interfering with the rest of their life or they are taking a illegal drug.
  4. Gelsemium

LOL, I wish that could happen rehab when they take an illegal drug, most drugs are illegal, but sometimes we are not aware that people are taking them.
  5. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

That is a very good question. I think with everyone it is different, but when the person goes from drinking every now and then to drinking everyday, someone should have a talk with them. If it gets worse from there, it may be time for intervention.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

When things get to a point where you have to quick the drinking and smoking or you'll end up dead then go for the intervention. It really is challenging with the individual who is battling the addiction. He or she must go and have a support group to go on somewhere with the intervention it just helps more.
  7. dolittle94

dolittle94 Member

I think that is you even have a using problem, then you should definitely consider getting help. That doesn't mean that you have to go to rehab or an intervention, per say, but asking for help would be necessary. If you really don't think that you need the help then prove it and quit!
  8. Gelsemium

That is the issue sometimes dolittle, it's something so intimate and so personal that sometimes it becomes complicated to reach out and ask for help, that's why the need for the intervention.
  9. maxprime94

maxprime94 Member

I think rehab becomes necessary the second the person's addiction starts affecting other peoples lives. No one deserves to be brought down if they have done nothing wrong, especially when the person has been trying to help the drug addict stay sober. I have had to cancel my own mother out of my life because she refuses to stay in rehab and refuses to help herself. I feel like I have done everything in my power to help her.
  10. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Intervention is a very delicate matter. I know of at least one instance where a family tried to do an intervention for a relative who was an alcoholic and she refused to go. This was after she had had more than one DUI and was probably going to lose her job. In her case I guess she wasn't ready to face the reality of her situation and do something about it. I don't think it's a bad thing though, if the family feels they really need to do something. Even if the person refuses, they know their family is concerned about them and serious about wanting to help them. They may remember that when they get the point where they do want help.
  11. Gelsemium

That's right, that is why all the people close to the person with the addiction need to be there, so that they realize that there is no possible escape, if everyone that loves us tells us the same, I guess they ought to be right.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am also curious to know this, on what could be the signs or symptoms that one already need to have an intervention rehab. It is because I am seeing several people around who are drinking alcohol almost the whole day and they are not seeking any help for it. This thread is really helpful.
  13. Gelsemium

What are the signs zaerine? Basically their life is becoming a total mess due to the addiction, they have issues at school or work and bad relations with the persons that love him/her.
  14. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Yes usually when their problem starts preventing them from doing daily routine tasks and effects them physically and/or mentally.
  15. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I think that when I person's substance abuse problem is interfering with their life in a way that has become obvious and dangerous to not only themselves but the others around them -- it is time to get help. This point will be different for everyone. Especially considering that many addicts refuse to admit they have a problem
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think it's a fine line between being concerned and overreacting. Not everyone who binges is an addict, so it really is a per case basis in my opinion. As a general rule, though, I think it really is necessary to bring it up once the person starts to show signs of possibly causing harm to themselves or others, such as not being able to function without alcohol and therefore frequently driving drunk and endangering the lives of everyone on the road.
  17. Gelsemium

The line is not so thin I think Charli, most of the cases the evidences are obvious, we just might live a little in fear of the reaction of the addict, but sometimes we just reach that point when we think, what do we have to lose?
  18. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

When the addition is there life and they agree to get help and want it for themselves.
  19. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It seems harder for an addict to identify themselves as the addict & admit it's gotten so out of hand that they need an intervention or rehab. I very rarely hear of someone requesting an intervention. I've seen a tad more situations where one enters rehab without provocation. It takes a strong person to realize they're drowning & call for help when they believe they are Olympic swimmers.
  20. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

An intervention is necessary when people do not realise that they have a problem and things have spun or begun to spin out of control, this is when an intervention is needed