An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Aunt Tried to Kill Herself Today (Possible Trigger Story)

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by sillylucy, May 19, 2015.

1. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Hello everyone. This might be a trigger for people who have had suicidal thoughts in the past. I just wanted to put that out there before you read any further.

My aunt and uncle live a few houses down the street from my family. Today my aunt (a former meth addict) tried to kill herself by drinking 7 tall cans of beer and 7 sleeping pills. Then she called 911 after getting scared about it. She has two children and her son is autistic.

Well, the police made her go to the hospital, but then they had her check out just 6 hours later. Does anyone know if this is protocol?
    Corzhens likes this.
  2. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

I hope this story could inspire addicted people to stop as early as now. How did your aunt stop using meth? How did you help her recover and overcome her addictiveness as her family? Regarding your question, I do not know the answer sorry. I hope your aunt will completely recover from whatever she is undergoing soon. Just help her all the way you can. Good luck!
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt, @sillylucy. It sounds to me like she likely has some serious mental health issues that caused her to attempt suicide. On the bright side, it's a great thing that she got scared and called 911. That shows me that her will to live won out.

My son attempted suicide when he was a teenager and it was mandatory that he be checked into a psychiatric hospital to be evaluated. If I remember correctly, he was there a little less than 24 hours. Six hours sounds like a very short time to me, but I can't speak to what is protocol in your aunt's situation and where she lives.

I hope your aunt gets some help for her mental illness. Depression, anxiety, and other issues are so prevalent in our society today. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about and everyone who doesn't feel quite right should definitely seek help from a professional. Therapy helped my son overcome his severe depression and addiction, and he's now living a happy, productive life. Therapy also helped me and my wife get through the struggles we faced while our son was in the throes of his addiction. It's kind of funny...I used to think that there was no way in hell a therapist could help make my life better. But I'm a true believer now. My therapist is my hero.

Best wishes to your aunt. I will keep her and her family in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for coming here and sharing. We are here to support you.
  4. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I'm so sad about what happened to her. When she gets sober, would any of her loved ones be an accountability partner during withdrawal for the time being until she works it out that she is in dire need of help? Until she decides to check in with a rehab and no-drug treatment? I hope she is going to be helped while she is in the process of self-awareness to healing.
  5. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I'm really sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope this is a big wake up call to seek help before this happens again. I'm surprised she only stayed in the hospital for 6 hours though, I would think they would have monitored her a lot longer than that. My brother did something like this a few years ago but by the time he got to the hospital it was so far into his system they couldn't pump his stomach so he stayed for a couple days to be monitored.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The police couldn't arrest her for trying to kill herself. I mean, attempted suicide isn't a crime against the rest of humanity. It harms no one but the person who wanted to end her life. So the police could only do so much. They may suggest rehab or joining a support group but such an option isn't mandatory in America. The family should decide what to do with your aunt. As it is, she doesn't seem to have enough willpower to decide on her own.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I don't know if the meth prompted this behavior but even though she's safe for now there's no guarantee this won't happen again in the future. Suicide is not an answer to your problems, it's simply an escape. The problems remain for someone else to deal with. I hope your aunt realizes the futility of her actions and decides to do the right thing this time around. Life is far too invaluable to be dismissed that easily.
  8. deanokat

@sillylucy... Just wondering how your aunt is doing. I hope things are okay. If you don't mind, give us an update when you have a chance. Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Over here, your aunt would be transferred to a psychiatric ward for further evaluation. It i s a medico-legal case and the sop is to submit a police report aside from taking precautions like checking on her mental condition. But I cannot say there same in your place.

Your aunt may be suffering from depression and maybe what she needs is moral support from her circle.
  10. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

This is a very alarming story. I hope she is alright. You and your family should be there for here. Try to understand her thoughts and convince her that she needs help. She should be evaluated mentally to further understand her situation. I will pray for her and I hope she gets well.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Wow! I am very sorry to hear about your aunt... She is lucky that nothing serious had happened to her system. I was nearly at that same point not less than a few weeks ago but instead of drinking, I was at the point of stabbing myself with a knife. Its very shocking when you are making such a dangerous and scary decision in your life. At first you want to do it, but at the last second you tend to get scared and regret it. I hope she feels better in the up coming weeks!
  12. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I'm really sorry to hear about that and I can tell you that there is hope and I'm really hoping and praying that she finds peace and comfort and know that life is valuable, God is there and we can call out to him to save us.
  13. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that :( what an awful position....I think it depends but my understanding was that if someone is an obvious suicide risk they're supposed to be held for 48-72 hours? Hmm...very disappointing that they didn't offer her more help.
  14. aliciadow5898

aliciadow5898 Member

My uncle killed himself almost 3 years ago. My brother found him hanging in the garage.. He was a child at heart and was embarrassed about his medical problems. He was having seizures and the only person that knew what my aunt. He hid it from his son and the family. Being a child at heart caused him to become depressed when he realized how old he was getting.. both of his brothers had also died from suicide.. He was my best friend and I never knew it was coming..
  15. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

What a terrible ordeal for everyone involved. Has your aunt received any psychiatric care in the past? It sounds like she really is a candidate for counseling. Obviously, it's not easy to overcome meth, and also to have to care for an autistic child. It sounds to me like she was treated in a very matter-of-fact way and dismissed quickly. Was her case not regarded as "serious enough"?
    I really hope that she is now able to receive the care that she needs. It's like a wake up call for everyone.
  16. deanokat

@sillylucy... I hope your aunt is doing alright. Let us know when you get a chance.