An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Avoiding Alcohol At Parties

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Charity, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Charity

Charity Member

I know that recovering from alcohol addiction is very difficult. It seems that everywhere you turn you find someone selling alcohol or offering you a drink. This problem is something you will want to avoid, but it is nearly impossible. However, I found a great tip that will help you avoid the problem of people constantly exposing you to alcohol. That is to take a cup, wine cup for toasting, and fill it with some lemonaide. This way you are going to be able to get to participate in the toast, but avoid any alcohol.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I find it best to keep a wine glass full of lemonade with me at all times at parties. That way, I can just point to it and say that I already have a drink. People leave you alone then! Why must people insist that you have a drink though? You can never just say no can you? You just get "Oh go on, one won't hurt". Another good excuse for not drinking is to say you are on a course of antibiotics or painkillers.
    imperivm1 likes this.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

A lot of people will always keep a soft drink or seltzer on hand when they are at a party with a lot of alcohol being passed around. This way you don't get offered anything and encounter an awkward moment and you don't find yourself empty handed for something like a toast.

Besides dealing with uncomfortable explanations for why you are not drinking, parties are also a test of your will power. It is always good to have a strategy on hand so that the temptations are not overwhelming.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Here's the easiest way to stay sober at a party. Don't go to party that has alcohol. That's pretty simple right?

If you know that there will be consumption of alcohol, then it be wise to not go to that party at all.
  5. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I agree with the lemonaide idea. I know some friends that have to do this, but some of the parties they have to go to because it is part of their job. The downside is their is alcohol at these parties and this is often the reason why so many of them get off of the wagon again.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree with this, especially if the person in question has little self-control in consuming alcohol. He might find it hard to say no to temptation, and make things worse from him, so to avoid such things from happening, he should just not be in a place where alcohol is freely served for free.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is a nice idea and good thing that you are able to avoid temptation. One should really have self control to overcome the offers around.
    I would join a toast even my glass was just filled with a juice. :p
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. Part of addiction is the fixation and also idle minds and hands, so just having a cup with a nice juice in it should already be enough help to keep your mind strong and focused. Also, I think this is good because it keeps the other guests from seeing you without a drink and having to remind themselves not to offer you any alcohol, and also it relieves them some of the worry that you might not be enjoying.
  9. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

That is a great idea. This will also insure that you don't get bugged by friends and just people in general wanting to pour you some alcohol and insisting that you have what they are having! It gives off an impression that you brought your own drink and are enjoying yourself even if it is just lemonade! Thanks for the share.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Having something in your hand would give those around you the impression that you are the enjoying the party which is good too. Question though is, should you never sip the lemonade or have some close by so you can refill your cup when it's empty?
  11. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Rainman, I think sipping it would be the best move because if you just have it in your hand then people might start being suspicious of that and wonder why you are not sipping! I also think you should absolutely have some close by for a refill.
    Rainman likes this.
  12. djdogbone11

djdogbone11 Member

Me personally, I can't go to parties anymore.
    Yeah it sucks not being able to participate in this social event, but for me it is worth it not to relapse.
    I found a new friend group that doesn't drink, and it has helped me recover much easier than if I was hanging out with my same alcoholic friends.
  13. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

It is really difficult to say no to drinks during parties because obviously there are no parties with no alcohol involved especially for the younger ones. When in a party we can drink but limit the amount and we should drink in moderation. We can also drink slowly so that our cups will be filled slowly also resulting in only drinking a few until the party ends. If there are mocktails or juice, then we can go for these as an alternative. If you are in a group and there are non-drinkers, then you can stay with them so that you have others for support if you don’t want to drink. The key to this is discipline and just limiting the amounts we drink in parties.
  14. Drіnkіng а lоt оf аlсоhоl іnсrеаsеs саlоrіе іntаkе аnd mаkеs уоu mоrе lіkеlу tо оvеrеаt. Іt аlsо rаіsеs уоur rіsk оf ассіdеnts аnd іnјurіеs. Еvеn smаll аmоunts оf аlсоhоl саn іmрасt drіvіng. Неrе аrе sоmе wауs tо аvоіd drіnkіng tоо muсh аlсоhоl аt hоlіdау раrtіеs:

• Міх іt uр. Веtwееn еvеrу аlсоhоlіс drіnk, hаvе а glаss оf wаtеr -- еvеn іf іt's whіlе stаndіng аt thе bаr wаіtіng fоr уоur nехt сосktаіl.
    • Соunt саlоrіеs. Wіnе аnd lіght bееr еасh hаvе 100 tо 125 саlоrіеs реr glаss, mаkіng thеm bеttеr bеts thаn hіghеr-саlоrіе сосktаіs.
    • Расе уоursеlf. Тhrее drіnks іn оnе hоur wіll рut уоu wеll оvеr thе lеgаl lіmіt fоr drіvіng. Rеsеаrсh shоws thаt еvеn lеvеls undеr thе lеgаl lіmіt саn sіgnіfісаntlу іmраіr drіvіng rеflехеs аnd sаfеtу.
    • Веwаrе оf bubblеs. Саrbоnаtеd mіхеrs sрееd uр thе rаtе аt whісh thе bоdу аbsоrbs аlсоhоl, mеаnіng уоu mау fееl mоrе еffесt, mоrе quісklу.
  15. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Depending on who you are around and if you feel comfortable telling them, sometimes it's best to be up front with everyone and let them know you aren't drinking. That will save the hassle of them pouring drinks for you which are then going to go to waste or someone else will have to chug right away before they go bad. If you don't want to bring up your addiction problems you are trying to deal with, you can make up an alibi and just simply explain you are on meds and can't mix booze with them.

I run into this problem a lot too when I would go out to eat with friends, and some of the people at the table would keep ordering rounds for all of us, and I didn't want any more to drink, but I felt obligated to now since they just spent like $8 on a drink for me even though I didn't ask for it. On top of that, now I'm on the hook to buy them a drink too as a thank you. I tried to always make sure my glass was full at all times, with a soda water and a lime so it looked like I had already ordered another one.

If you happen to know the bartender well enough, you could also let them know too, if they see someone trying to order drinks for you, to use their fake bottles of booze. I can't say if all bartenders do this, but I know several who keep empty bottles of Absolut or whatever liquor filled with water. Then when a patron insists on them doing a shot together, they pour themselves a shot of water from it instead and pocket the money the patron is paying for the shot, lol.
  16. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Why even go to a party in the first place if you know these is going to be alcohol? Why even entertain the idea of being near it. If you are a recovering addict, you should just avoid it and others that do it. That's just my opinion.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, that's an interesting option if you really have to go to that party and don't want to drink but I'd probably just stay away from the party all together if you're looking to get sober since everyting around there can be a trigger to your addiction.
  18. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Always having a cup of something non-alcoholic in my hand, and nursing it, was a tip I got early on, before I even started partying. Not that I ever actually listened until later in my partying phase. It can work, but personally I choose to stay away from parties, especially if I think there will be a certain atmosphere.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That is a great idea. You can attend parties and be socially active without having to take alcohol. But still, you have got to toughen yourself up because situations like that are full of temptations, and people are sometimes too weak to say no.
  20. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

You don't need to make up excuses to justify the fact that you don't want to or shouldn't be drinking. I'd personally say something along the lines of: "No thanks, I'm good" and just be done with it. It is true that people can be really adamant at times but we should simply stand our ground. It's the best way to cope with the situation.