An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Avoiding Street Children Or Helping Them

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by 6up, Aug 8, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Do you try to help those street children taking drugs or you completely avoid them? Is it easier to talk to them or how can you make them listen to you?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

In my hometown there are no street kids. Most of the people who live here are senior citizens. Their grandchildren might visit occasionally but they don't stay long.

If I lived in a city with lots of street children abusing drugs I don't think I'd do anything even though I would like to. Once you offer help or advice, you'll need to earn those kids trust and it would cost you a lot of money. Unless you have that kind of money then I doubt you'd convince them to stop abusing drugs. When my parents took in a homeless kid he didn't stay at home for long. He longed for the freedom he'd enjoyed on the streets so he left. Some broken things can't be fixed I think.
  3. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I will be honest I do not feel that they should be avoided but how do we reach them? I've tried to talk to some but they do not seem to feel that what they are doing is very serious. It seems in their mind to just be the thing that they do today. I would love to know how I can reach them more.
  4. light

light Active Contributor

Maybe ‘avoiding’ them would be better because they don’t pay much attention to your advice. But never forgetting them because as they are hurting themselves today, tomorrow they may hurt your family too. What they really need is to feel loved and important so instead of giving advice, I ask for advice from them. I’ve tried to become a friend with some of them and speak to them only when they are a bit sober. The point is that institutions who take care of children’s health must be notified and then you can go and visit those children in rehabilitation center.
  5. juno

juno Community Champion

Unless you are professional who know how to work with the situation, it is best not to directly address a child on the streets that is doing drugs. It could be dangerous. It is better to contact the right social services to get the help that the child might need and let them know about his whereabouts.
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Those street children are very vulnerable. They lack parental love and someone to guide them in their lives. They do drugs because of peer pressure mostly and to escape the harsh realities of life. What they need is love and appreciation. As hard as this may sound, they are normal kids with feelings and showing them that you care about them will go a long way in transforming their lives for the better.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Change begins with you and me. These are our children and we should never abandon or ostracize them. You will be surprised by how much change you will effect in them just by socializing with them. Yes, social services do have a role to play but we are the ones to initiate that helping process. So next time you encounter one of these kids, put your fears aside and show them some love.
  8. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

It's a great idea to try and do something to help your community - and these children are very much a part of your community.

I think the important thing is to try and make your help worthwhile. Giving them some loose change might not help their situation very much however getting involved in your local soup kitchen, or stopping and conversing with these children properly (getting to know them and their story) may make more of a difference.

They might not listen to you much at first as they feel alienated from you (and most others). If you take the time to get to know them a little they will likely take what you are saying on board more as they come to respect your opinion.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I wish I could help them all, but it's a mammoth undertaking especially because of their environment. You said children but I have tried with who I call young adults and I can't say I have had the best results. Sometimes you can do so much and no more. They need to want change and some are not ready. I am convinced that some people just love the streets and don't want a better life. They often just want more resources.
    I've had to love many from a distance and do what I can from the very same place.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Nah, I don't have the resources to help all those kids... what is the point in talking to them about stop using drugs? They won't listen, and they won't be getting help anytime soon. Plus it can be dangerous to talk to them about this, some kids can get pretty aggressive. I'm just too afraid of people who are high as a kite in the street.
  11. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

Sadly you can never 'make' anyone listen to you. In my opinion, the best thing you can do for less-fortunate adolescents on the street is ask them if they need help. You could gently offer a helping hand by offering part-time work or suggesting a place of employment. Listen to them. Those who do not want help will refuse, but you may be able to help a few that are struggling and desire to improve their circumstances.

Personally, I try to help as much as I can. I wish I could help more. I disagree with those who believe they are beyond help.
  12. Rainman

Agreed. You can't help everyone and in any case they won't like it if anyone is trying barge into their lives. Living on the street isn't easy and unless you are offering them something that gives them the assurance that they'll escape the streets forever then any help offered will not be accepted because they use drugs to cope [they can't face] reality [sober] and the knowledge that they won't ever "enjoy" life like everyone else doesn't help either.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@Rainman It's a very sad reality, when I lived in the streets I thought my life was over and there was no point in getting clean. I did drugs to indeed help me cope with my new reality, the cold, the hunger, the sadness, plus many other things. I feel awful for those kids, because some of them are in a stage where help is what they need and might appreciate, but where I live there are no programs targeted at helping them.
  14. Rainman

Life isn't fair, Tremmie and most "fortunate" folks who have homes and family may harshly judge streets kids who are addicted to drugs but because they know nothing about "life on the street" they can't empathize . . .

I believe that since a number of these street kids end up selling drugs eventually helping them [it's the governments job if they want to win the war against drugs] would be good for everyone.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

To be honest, I have never helped any addicted child, nor tried to talk to them about this. Yes, it is horrible to see people starting using substances from such a young age, but in my opinion those who grow up on streets have no conscience and will not pay attention to anything you try to teach them. It's only wasted time.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It still helps to even say something to them. Maybe they'll remember it and it'll convict their conscience later on and they'll change. Even if you don't have the resources to help them out financially, you can still offer them a word.