An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Bad health effects of marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by rainbowguard, Mar 7, 2015.

1. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

While addictions of anything are always bad, does it mean it is bad for your mind or health or both?

Regarding marijuana use, I want to hear personal stories about bad health effects of marijuana that you personally experienced. I know that a lot of people argue that marijuana addiction is alright because marijuana addiction doesn't have any bad health effects. I don't want to argue on that point as personally, I feel that addiction of anything, even if it doesn't have any bad health effects, is bad. Also, experts are divided on that issue so I prefer everybody to just share your personal experience with the bad health effects of marijuana.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I used to smoke pot several times a day as a teen and when it came time to quit, I dropped it without any problems. So I don't know if I can say I've experienced marijuana "addiction" per say, but I'll chime in anyways. For me, I never experienced long term effects of smoking pot. For me, the problem was that I couldn't get anything done while I was high. It would make me anti-social and lazy. So, while sitting in my room playing guitar and watching movies was a great time, it's not overly healthy to spend days doing just that.

It's different with everyone though. My girlfriend gets weed prescribed and seems to have no side effects from it. It depends on the person really.
  3. amyyoh

amyyoh Member

My brother is very interested in the affects of marijuana and has recently shared a lot of his research with me. I have an anxiety disorder and he has warned me against smoking marijuana because those who do generally have more negative feelings. It could be argued that those with negative feelings smoke more, but the uncertainty is reason to stay away I think.
  4. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Well, smoking something is never explicitly good for you. Aside from that, I really don't know.
  5. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

Actually burning and inhaling the herb is indeed bad for you even if cannabis itself isnt.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Well I know someone who takes it, his breathe smells and seems to have a big appetite which may seem good at the time but could upset the stomach as having too much is not good for the body. The face can have a change and look like, the skin is dry if you don't put moisturizer cream on and it seems bad too look at. He also is able to drive his car while high, which could be dangerous one day as he may think he is driving slow when he is not in fact.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think there is medicinal benefits with controlled marijuana usage. It's blatant over usage and recreational pot smoking that is harmful. Like any drug even over the counter drugs can be harmful if they are taken when there is no medicinal purpose for taking it. Some people need it to get healthy. Some take it just to get high.
  8. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

As far as I know, there are no negative effects of long term marijuana use, besides increased appetite (use self-control!), and some short term memory problems, though the latter is disputed. It's actually been shown that it may just be easier to recall the information when under the influence of the substance. In short, for example, if you study for a test while on marijuana, you may want to take the actual test while high.
  9. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

Other than the fact that smoking it can't be good for your lungs, I don't know if there are any real long term ill effects. On the other hand, I always found marijuana to be kind of depressing after a while. It was definitely not one of the harder to quit substances as far as I was concerned.
    I'm still around a lot of people who smoke it all of the time. It's not going to be long before some of these guys (and gals) are sneaking around in the nursing homes, which seems kind of silly to me. I'm not noticing any particularly bad things going on with any of them having to do with the smoke, though.
    At least not yet, but I suspect everything catches up with us sooner or later.
  10. Jeff

Jeff Member

When I was about 17/18, I went through a period where I would smoke, and literally loose the hability to speak.
    I can't explain it. Just couldn't say a word.
    This led a to a bunch of embarassing situations, that I really don't wish to remember much.
    But I guess it was a mild form of psychosis.
    I remember my mind going a million miles an hour. And I was in no way in situations where there was danger.

I also have this friend, who generally acts weird when he get's high.
    We'll be hanging out, and suddenly we'd be like "We've got to get out of there".
    This used to happen a lot.

I know a lot of dudes who just went nuts.
    There was other drugs involved. But 100%, marijuana is, at least, in part to blame for them loosing themselves.

I also know people who smoke their lungs out, and they're doing just fine, so...
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The only thing for me really was short term memory loss but that would come back after quitting using it. The social anxiety thing didn't affect me until someone suggested it would. Eventually I realized that was only because of believing in that suggestion and managed to overcome it. It did make me lazy aswell and I would sleep a lot more. I then went on to learn psychological techniques for self improvement like mnemonics, NLP, etc.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I only took weed occasionally, but I do remember the sudden mood swings. At first I would feel high and happy over the most silly things, then after a while, like an hour or so, I would feel very depressed for no apparent reason. Like I'm crying over nothing. Sure, I do remember my little teenage problems, but it's nothing to get depressed about. I just cried for no reason. Then I feel hungry and I would want to eat more. I felt those feelings that I mentioned the first time I took it.
  13. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I have never really hear anything about marijuana and its bad effects. I believe that smoking of any form is bad and I think it can cause cancer regardless of what substance you smoke. Marijuana is no different from tobacco in the long run because they both can cause lung cancer.
  14. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I am smoking marijuana for a year , I started when I was 19 and until then I was the single person in my group of friends who said that smoking weed can really affect your health.I used to think like that because I read a lot about this subject and I was aware of the bad consequences . My boyfriends was a heavy user and his dependency of weed made me interested in this matter. After many arguments with him I realised that besides his bad memory , everything else was normal about him .
    Now after one year of smoking I think that marijuana can damage you but I am not sure that what I experienced is truly because of weed.
    Two or three months ago, when I had all of my exams and other things going on with my life I experienced bad anxiety and depression and a terrible insomnia that lasted 5 days and since than I am struggling with these problems.In that period I wasn't smoking at all, so maybe it was all due to my dependency or maybe it was all because of the long term effects of smoking marijuana.
  15. Pinoy Jade

Pinoy Jade Active Contributor

Based on my experience, it really does have big effect on our health. In terms of the physical part of our body, it kills our lungs and even our heart. It even kills our brain cells and in terms of psychological research, it makes us insane.. well that is the case of course if weed is abused
  16. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

Anything that a doctor recommends his medicine. If an individual has cancer the biggest and most deadliest disease of our era and they recommend marijuana as a supplement doesn't that basically tell you that this must be a miracle drug. I Don't see a doctor recommending that you drink alcohol take heroine or smoke tobacco. They recommend marijuana.
  17. bebulinka

bebulinka Member

I have a friend wich started to use weed and after a few years he started forgetting things names...etc. he was really really obssessed with it and now his brain is a mess.