An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Bad thoughts on those who are trying to help me!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 003, Feb 2, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

That's why supporting someone is so hard. I tried repeatedly to try to push the one person helping me away. I'm just lucky he understood it wasn't personal against him.
  2. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Don't beat yourself up. You can't honestly expect to act rationally when you're under the influence of a substance. That's why withdrawal is so hard in the first place. The drugs and alcohol mess with our minds and make us say or do things we would later regret. I understand it's hard but a sober mind always knows better. That's why it's better to heed to people's advice when addiction is overwhelming.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well yes it is this way sometimes. There are always intentions behind people's behavior that we sense as they do what they do. There is no way around that. People who seem to bring you down why they are supposedly helping you are not people that you want to keep around in the long run. They will continue to bring you down and they are actually part of your down fall. Its difficult to see it that way sometimes but this is how it works. You say you are ashamed to approach them. Well more than likely they made it that way. Don't feel ashamed. You are better off without them. No matter what its wrong of anyone to bring another person down.
  4. NyX82

NyX82 Member

I completely understand how you're feeling. I hated the people who wanted to help me because I hated that they were trying to take my drugs away from me. They just didn't get it. I needed drugs and they needed to accept that. That's what your brain will tell you when someone tries to help you. Once you get clean though you can see things from their point of view and finally understand how they felt. Yes you may feel ashamed for your actions and thoughts but the best way to get rid of those feelings is to talk to those people. It may be uncomfortable and it might seem easier to avoid it but once you take this step you will feel so much better.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

At least you are aware of what you are doing and that it is wrong. If I were you I would be encouraged because you are making progress with this attitude. Those who are trying to help you are usually fully aware that this type of behavior happens and won't be too concerned about it. There is nothing stopping you from apologizing every time this happens. You will get there.