An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ban on legal highs = business for dealers

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Sparkster, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Recently, the UK brought in new legislation to ban the sale of any product classed as a "legal high" - there is now no such thing as a legal high in the UK. This was to ban the sale of products like Spice/K2, Salvia Divinorum and psychoactive herbs. Whilst this may seem like a good move, it also means that people looking to get high are no longer going to buy it legally but are going to have to buy it illegally off the streets. Additionally, it also means that marijuana cannot be legalized for public use. So, rather than legalizing marijuana and bringing crime rates down, it seems that the move could increase crime associated with illegal drugs. It also means there's a wider market for street dealers who can now profit from K2/Spice, Salvia, etc themselves.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

There may be a wider market for street dealers but the authorities have done their best in banning these substances. It is normal for crime rates to increase but it must also be noted that whether they legalize marijuana or not, it does not stop people from abusing it; neither does it hinder the circulation of all these substances.

I think the main problem is those who produce these substances and sponsor them. If those two areas were curbed, there would be nothing to worry about.
  3. Sparkster

The idea was originally to get around the fact that high street retailers were getting around the law by selling legal highs and getting around the law by labelling them "not for human consumption" - because of that, no legal action could be taken. So, they introduced new legislation to prevent any retailer from marketing a product as a legal high. Technically, the stores could still sell the products as long as they are not portrayed as a drug. Salvia, for example. It's now illegal to sell it as a legal high in the UK yet it's actually an extremely common house plant in the UK.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There was a time that there were a whole lot of stores that sold those substances popping up left right and center. I really don't know what happened to them, since I don't really go to that part of town anymore. I must go there sometime and see if they are still around.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I'm not surprised that legislation like that would be introduced. It even seems like it is needed to be honest. Shady folks always find a way to sell this stuff.
  6. It seems like the UK has a reoccurring pattern of taking very censorious and broad countermeasures to anything they deem immoral, but I do agree with the principle: Legal highs, especially when infused with hardly tested chemicals, such as was the case a few years ago with a series of weed substitutes, can turn out to be much more harmful and have many more lasting effects than normal marijuana. Instead of playing cat and mouse with new substances, they decided to ban them outright, which while not the best solution, is a solution.
  7. Sparkster

It was a similar case with Mephedrone (M-Cat / Meow Meow) a few years back. It was used in plant fertilizer and therefore was a legal substance. When street dealers first started selling it, it was completely legal. Eventually, the UK government made it a Class B substance. While it was legal, dealers were practically giving it away by the bucketload because it was so easy and cheap to get hold of.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

They made those kind of synthetic drugs illegal in most parts of the U.S too. Of course this will create a bigger market for dealers, now they have more to sell. The side effects of the synthetic drugs are way worst than marijuana. I can see why they made this illegal. Looking at how harmful everything else is compared to marijuana I can't understand why it's still illegal anywhere.
  9. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

International treaties are why cannabis can't be fully legalised. This blanket ban is problematic, not least because innocuous and potentially medicinal supplements are automatically banned. Kratom is the perfect example of this. It's a knee-jerk reaction - typical of the political class.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Well the authorities there will then needs to do more kind of actions on catching those who will illegally sell or trade the ones that they banned. It is not simply passing a law or banning it, there will be actions they will need to do to make sure it will be followed.
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

In Romania, a lot of teenagers got to the hospital because of the "spices". For me, they are worse than marijuana, although I am against drugs in general.

The thing is, yes, once they get banned, the street dealers will make much more money, but on the other hand, if they stay legal the authorities get more money to the budget. Getting them banned won't do too much of a difference as long as there will be a high demand for them.
  12. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I believe that is one of the biggest reasons it should be legalized. You legalize it and regulate it, you remove the dealers and the suppliers, most of which are usually shady. In California, dispensaries are usually run by good characters who get supplied from honest growers. It just makes so much sense to legalize it.
  13. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Most people that were consuming these was because they were a legal alternative to marijuana. If these substances become illegal people that were consuming them will simply go back to taking marijuana.