An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Banning Workers from Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JonnyMacdonald, Jan 22, 2016.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

So many of our work-places are "smoke free" meaning those few smokers left had to trudge pretty far away to get their fix.
    S0me places are banning employees from smoking on company time, others are telling workers they cannot smoke, period. Others are even banning smoking from cars on the property.
    One factory my friend works at is aiming at having a zero-smoker workforce.
    What they are doing is making it impossible to smoke, it takes so long to punch out and back in and travel to the smoking area that it's impossible for a smoker to smoke in the time allotted.
    Some unions are claiming its medical discrimination.

I for one have zero sympathies for smokers (being a former smoker too.)
    What do you guys and gals think?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think it's a great way to get smokers to give up smoking but whether it works or not will vary from individual to individual. There are those who may opt to stop smoking completely while others can conform [to the (imposed) conditions] but smoke in the evening or at night after work.
    MrsJones likes this.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that it is a great way to help smokers stop smoking. It is also for their own good and later they will thank whoever implemented that for those who can get rid of smoking totally. They will be surprised that they can live without the cigarettes. :)
  4. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

These no smoking policies in place by businesses are primarily aimed at reducing their cost of health care that they pay for their employees. Understandable.,, but it's not to someone who smokes.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

We have separate places for smokers and non-smokers, and I think that's fair. If a person is addicted to cigarettes they should have the ability to smoke in the building if they don't bother the non-smokers, so that's not an issue with me.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Two things I'd like to point out. One is that as long as workers inconvenience no one, it's all right to smoke at a designated place in the office (or outside of it). Second, if their work isn't affected and they still continue to deliver despite their smoking habits, then that's not something employers should complain about. However, if a worker gets into an altercation with another worker and work quality drops because of his cigarette addiction, then that's another story.
    MrsJones and Rainman like this.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I have heard one argument from friends is that nicotine addiction does not mean smoking addiction.
    "Smokers" are fully able to get a dose of nicotine in so many other ways these days that the argument that it's a medical issue or that they need to smoke to function doesn't hold water is what a lot of people are saying now.
  8. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

I can see the whole "freedom" angle about this issue, however, smoker smell, and just like you'd ask people to not smell of sweat while at the workplace you should also be able to be able to tell them not to stink of tobacco smoke. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
  9. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

My thing about this issue is what percentage of smokers is it to that of non-smokers in the workplace to put these policies into law. I'm not a betting person but I would bet that there would be a significant gap between the two groups with the non-smokers showing the higher percentage.
  10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Not a fan of smokers myself (my mother is a smoker...to this day I can't stand even a whiff of cigarette smoke).

At the same time, though, the human being in me always feels compassion for the brave souls huddled under an awning or something in pouring rain, or risking frostbitten faces and digits while enjoying their vice in the dead of winter...

...but then I'm like "well you could also stop smoking, and then you wouldn't have to worry about it."

I wish we could all just get along, I really do.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This would create a great insensitive for those that are still smoking to do the final push and quit. I also think that there should be a support system that would allow the smokers to have a ant-tobacco consult and help find a solution that would suit them to stop smoking.

I have never met a person that smoked because of the enjoyment of it. This would alleviate any friction that might exist because of this company police and show that the company is interested in everyone's needs and well being.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

To me, I think it's both a good way of possibly getting people to stop smoking, and to stop people taking it up in the first place. Having worked a stressful finance corporate job in my 20's, a lot of people I know actually took up smoking just to get those breaks. For the non smokers, they didn't get to simply say "I'm going to stand outside for 5 minutes" - they would have been ridiculed! Sad, right?

Anyway, mini rant over. I think it's good for employers to take that approach!
  13. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

In my opinion, it's a great way to help reduce second-hand smoking and make a more positive work environment. I greatly respect companies that are enforcing this because they are helping prevent a negative atmosphere that smoking can bring.
  14. Joethefirst

It most certainly is sad. Since most people don't smoke these days or are giving it up the new place to get those sorely needed 5 minutes is by the coffee machine. Sure it's not the best solution but it's still better then smoking.
  15. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Where I work there are people who take like an hour of cigarette breaks per day and get paid! Not fair.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think this is kind of going to far, and I don't even smoke. As long as the person isn't smoking in or around the building there shouldn't be a problem. If there in there car that's another thing it doesn't effect anyone. Then why would you want to get rid of employees because they smoke that could harm your business, just because someone doesn't smoke won't mean they can do the job better. I think they should have separate places for smokers that would make more since. Smoking is bad for your health, but denying smokers employment sounds like too much.
  17. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

from a certain point of view, it does help to reduce the negative effects of second hand smoke, as mentioned earlier in this thread it's a good approach to make a healthy environment, beside that non smokers won't get tempted to try smoking because their friends always light up near them and this might become natural over time.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I totally support employers who ban workers from smoking in the work place, because we non smokers don't have to stand breathing in that poisonous crap. So I don't appreciate it when someone does that, so damn selfish! More employers should do that!
  19. Joethefirst

There have been a lot of restrictions applied to smoking. There has to be a balance, you can't make smokers feel like outcasts. This will reflect in the working atmosphere.
  20. Kyndalion

Kyndalion Member

I don't think it's right to make workers not smoke at work. I understand why an employer would do this, but it makes for a more hostile workplace. Think about Nicotine withdrawal, that can make a lot of people less productive and even cause tension between people. Make a designated are and make breaks scheduled to insure they aren't abusing the time.