An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Banning Workers from Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JonnyMacdonald, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Еvеry еmрlоyеr is оbligеd tо рrоtесt thе hеаlth оf stаff, сustоmеrs, rеsidеnts аnd visitоrs tо thеir рrеmisеs. In thе саsе оf еxеmрtеd buildings оnly, this mеаns thаt еmрlоyеrs саn, if thеy wish, dеsignаtе сеrtаin аrеаs оf thеir рrеmisеs аs 'smоking' оr 'nоn-smоking' in оrdеr tо minimisе risk. This mеаns, fоr еxаmрlе, thаt еvеn thоugh а nursing hоmе is еxеmрt frоm thе smоking bаn, thе оwnеrs оf thе nursing hоmе соuld оrdеr thаt rеsidеnts mаy оnly smоkе оutsidе оr in а dеsignаtеd 'smоking rооm'.

Givеn thаt рrisоns аnd рlасеs оf dеtеntiоn аrе uniquе, thе lаw dоеs nоt аррly tо thеsе institutiоns. Аgаin, hоwеvеr, thеrе is nоthing tо stор рrisоn аuthоritiеs frоm dеsignаting thеsе institutiоns аs еntirеly 'nоn-smоking' оr еstаblish dеsignаtеd 'smоking rооms' if thеy wish
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I think its a good incentive as it forces people to make a choice: Cigarette addiction that will kill you, or work that makes you the money you need to live. But on the other hand, its not exactly that easy because workers will then experience withdrawal symptoms and become stressed. Some will break the rules and end up taking "bathroom breaks" every half-hour so that they can smoke. Especially in a stressful work environment. I guess there needs to be some sort of smart regulation system to implement it properly.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

That's true, but now a days there are a lot of ways to get your dose of nicotine that does not involved lighting a stick of tobacco on fire and inhaling it and blowing the smoke all over the place.
  4. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

As an ex-smoker I have zero sympathies for smokers full-stop. But I also think that employers should consider not only the physical well-being of their employees, but also their personal freedom. Its great for employers to discourage smokers from smoking during the working day, but what workers do with their free-time, either during work breaks, or during their own free-time should not be dictated by employers. A much more effective way for employers to discourage smokers, and to boost moral and productivity would be for them to offer a financial bonus for workers who do not smoke, thats far more likely to get smoking employees to give up rather than making life difficult for them.
  5. blenly

blenly Member

These incentives are great for the companies, but they have to realise that if people want to smoke they will do. My previous employed used to tell us we had to smoke in the smoker shelter at the back of the building. We would have to exit and walk all the way around leaving very little time to have a cigarette. Most of us ended up just leaving the property and standing on the sidewalk as it was much closer to the front door.
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I generally have a live and let live attitude, and don't believe in an overly restrictive environment. As someone who has run a business, I didn't allow my employees to smoke during work hours but they could during their lunch breaks. If they were not contravening any of the non-smoking laws, it was not a matter I wished to micro manage.
  7. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

They do the same for us at my current place of employment. There is a patio that's tucked away in the furthest point of the building area. Even those who vape instead of smoking cigarettes have to go on this same patio, and if you get caught anywhere else besides the patio, you'll have a write up from HR. Kind of extreme, but they also have a zero tolerance policy. A lot of people have found it easier to just quit smoking since it cuts into so much of their break time, with the exception of lunch.
  8. Min

Min Active Contributor

I've never worked at a place where smoking in the workplace was permissible. It didn't lead to a hostile work environment at all. There were breaks (for those who were "on the clock") and then people could go downstairs and smoke outside in designated areas that weren't part of the building. Go outside - smoke - come back in. Go to lunch - smoke - come back in. It's never been a problem. I was fine with it when I was a smoker, and happy about it when I became a non-smoker.
  9. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I agree with the smoking ban. Smoking is a danger to both the smokers and people who are in near proximity. The ban would protect the non-smokers from the effects of second-hand smoke and it could also serve to help some of the smokers in quitting the habit.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think there should be designated areas where people in the work force could take a break and smoke. In my former office, there are a lot of smokers. But they all follow the rules: No Smoking Inside the Premises. They all do their thing in the smoking area. As a former smoker, I think this is a good policy. For me, people should not be allowed to smoke inside the office for they would be endangering the health of those who are non-smokers.