An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Bath Salts

Discussion in 'Designer Drugs (Synthetic Marijuana, etc.)' started by Rosyrain, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Here is a substance that I have not seen mentioned on this forum. I have heard that people can get high from sniffing or eating bath salts? How is this possible? Is it really bath salts like what you would buy at a beauty or spa store, or is this a slang term for something else?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first time to read that someone might be eating bath salts. That sounds weird and if someone really eats it, I do not think that it is a good thing or it is not healthy. But any substances can be addicting depends on how it will be consumed.
  3. Rosyrain

I agree that it would not be a good thing to do, but I have heard that kids were taking bath salts as a way to get high and I am not sure how a person would do this. It is apparently very toxic though.
  4. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Nope it's not what we bathe in!
    According to wikipedia:

Bath salts[1][2] is a term used in North America to describe a number of recreational designer drugs. The name derives from instances in which the drugs have been sold disguised as true bath salts.[3][4][5] The white powder, granules, or crystals often resemble true bath salts such as Epsom salts, but are chemically very different. The drugs' packaging often states "not for human consumption" in an attempt to circumvent drug prohibition laws

I wouldn't be surprised if it was literal bath salts! Honestly some people will ingest anything!
  5. Rosyrain

Thank you so much for this useful information. It makes me sick how people will circumvent laws that are designed to keep us safe and lie on product packaging. I know that you can't get a high from ingesting salt, but I wondered if it had something to do with the fragrances and colors added. Looks as though I was wrong.
  6. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I always thought it was real bath salts. Haha. I wonder how many kids heard about the drugs and thought they could get high off bath salts? Thanks for the info, jbbarn.

I hate all these 'legal highs' that say they're not for human consumption, but they know very well nobody is buying them as research chemicals or whatever.