An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Bath Salts

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by juno, Feb 23, 2016.

1. juno

juno Community Champion

Has anyone heard of Bath Salts as the newest drug to get your hands on easily? "Bath Salts", the newest fad to hit the shelves, is the latest addition to a growing list of items that young people can obtain to get high. The synthetic powder is sold legally online and in drug paraphernalia stores under a variety of names, such as "Ivory Wave," "Purple Wave," "Red Dove," "Blue Silk," "Zoom," "Bloom," "Cloud Nine," "Ocean Snow," "Lunar Wave," "Vanilla Sky," "White Lightning," "Scarface," and "Hurricane Charlie."

It is actually Synthetic cathinones, they are synthetic (human-made) drugs chemically related to cathinone, a stimulant found in the khat plant. Khat is a shrub grown in East Africa and southern Arabia, and people sometimes chew its leaves for their mild stimulant effects.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yes, I've definitely heard about this supposed addiction of some people with bath salts. At first, I thought these bath salts were the ones we used for bathing. Apparently, these bath salts are mostly MPDV though experts say that there is still a lot of compounds in bath salts that we don't know of.

I think it's quite alarming as a drug because it can cause suicidal thinking and behaviour. Aside from the most obvious effects like hallucinations, agitation and paranoia. Experts don't even know yet if they are addicting. One thing is for sure, it can cause toxic effects even with just one use.
  3. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I am not surprised that bath is being used as a drug. Some people are always trying to find some new substance that may be sniffed to give a high or a state of sheer bliss. The smell emanating from the bath salts is one that will make a person want to linger around it for a while, hence, I can understand how this substance could be targeted.
  4. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Desperate people call for desperate measures I guess. I simply will never understand why someone would take an interest in bath salts. I heard people do crazy things while on this. From what I'm reading from the different posts...this must not be the same thing as the smell good salts one would put in the tub for aromatic therapy. I am confused on what it derives from.
  5. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I hate how people keep manufacturing more new drugs and implementing any sick idea they can come up with. It is also strange how people go to such desperate measures to use a drug! The effects OP mentioned makes this drug seem rather serious, contrary to what the rather subtle name would imply. What makes these kinds of drugs bad is that they are variations of simple things people use to go about their daily lives, such as glue and petroleum, yet people become addicted to them. Bath salts is a rather taboo one to be honest and I doubt that many people talk part in it as I've never heard of it being used as a drug.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is shocking that this drug is sold online as this can make young people addicted very easily and I thought the governments would do more to stop drugs from being sold online and also hope that people do realize the consequences which take time to show in the user. I reckon that this drug is dangerous and it can affect the person and it will be hard to know how the drug will affect the mind of the person and hope that we see people not fall for this drug very easily as it can be a bad choice if you get addicted to something like this. When a person uses drugs they can make bad choices and also that can make them spend more money on drugs which is not a good thing and can lead to lives being in danger.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This sounds very much like the latest drug craze in the UK, which has been going on for the last few years. Aside from marijuana, the most popular recreational drug in the UK has become Mephedrone - also known as M-CAT and indeed it is a cathinone which comes from, or is closely related to, the Khat plant. I don't know if they actually get this stuff from the Khat plant or if its a synthetic version but it's very popular. Also called Meow Meow, Kat or Meph. Also closely related to amphetamine (speed/meth) which is also derived from the Khat plant. Mephedrone was made illegal a few years ago in the UK and is now a Class B substance.
  8. Dummyme

Dummyme Member

I can relate I have been thinking he has been doing meth and he is giving me bath salts is there any way to prove somebody has been poisoning me with that salts and it's so what can I do about it I'm so mad right now it hurts and feel like an idiot and I felt like a woman talking crazy always ended up in the hospital they haven't give me out of then come out of the hospital I thought it was because of my mental health medication now I know it is not you could have had an effect on it but this is not the symptoms me
  9. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Dummyme hey there... i'm not sure about your question. i hope you're not being poisoned!! have you asked the dr at the hospital your question?
    deanokat likes this.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Dummyme... Who do you think is possibly poisoning you? Is it your partner? I'm not sure what you're asking, either. I would definitely discuss it with a doctor, though.