An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Be careful with benzos

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by 420nosmoke, Oct 17, 2014.

1. 420nosmoke

420nosmoke Member

Benzodiazepines include Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, and anything that ends with -zepam (generic name). I pretty much view these drugs as evil. I hate how doctors give them out so easily when someone says they have problems sleeping or with anxiety. These pills do help greatly, but they are only meant to be used short term, a month or less. Any longer than that and you will get physically addicted. They are best used in very short term or only very occasionally, for medical use only. Benzo addiction is very dangerous and one of the hardest drugs to quit. It is one of the few drugs that can actually kill you from the withdrawals -- one other such drug is alcohol. They can also easily be deadly when mixed with alcohol or other downers. You go to sleep and never wake up. It scares me so much when I hear of young kids "partying" in this way by combining pills with alcohol, without a second thought. It is so reckless and stupid. I wish they were better educated.
    This is a personal issue for me because my first boyfriend was addicted to benzos for several years due to severe anxiety he's had all his life. He does not remember a few years of his teenage life, including a few months of our relationship, because benzos absolutely killed his memory. Thankfully he went to a treatment program for a few weeks and came out clean, he has not touched them since. I am so proud of him for overcoming his addictions. Anyone can do it if they make the choice and commit. If you are struggling with benzo addiction, I believe in you!
    Sarah likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

3. Sarah

Sarah Member

Great post. I do feel that prescription drugs do get overlooked because they are legal. But just like alcohol they are just as addictive and just as harmful. They are easily accessible as well.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Yep. There's a lot of "if the doctor says it's okay, it must be okay".
  5. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I have a friend on Klonopin but she uses them responsibly. She is aware of the dangers. She sometimes rightfully worries about possibly becoming addicted to them. I worry for her too. Her doctor keeps prescribing them but they have talked about wanting to ween her off eventually.
  6. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I used to have a lot of problems when it came about sleeping and anxiety. There were a lot of days on which I couldn't sleep because I had anxiety problems and I kept overthinking about a lot of things. A doctor prescribed me Xanax, I took it and it worked good for a while. But I started building resistance and it just wouldn't affect me anymore. Then I went to a psychiatrist and he did some hypnosis therapy which really helped me. After that I had no more anxiety, he somehow commuted a trigger into my subconscious mind because of which I had all those sleeping and anxiety problems.
  7. sweetkymom

sweetkymom Member

I believe that these drugs should be monitored closer then they actually are. The doctors that prescribe these should also be closely monitored. If in a given week, a doctor prescribes 150 xanas prescriptions, there is a problem. There are other medications out there that can curb the problem that is being treated. There are also non-medicanional ways to try and help people not get addicted to drugs. I think this whole doctor/pharmacy thing needs to be uptight and really crack down on the addicting drugs. If people know they can go get a prescription just for making up a problem, they are going to. Something has got to give.
  8. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I have anxiety and OCD and in addition to my SSRI Luvox I take clonazepam. It has changed my life completely. I was in bad shape before starting these two medications. Really bad shap. Panic attacks, obsessive thoughts plagued me. I would not say I was suicidal but I was so destroyed by OCD that I would not have cared if something did happen to me.
    I take 1.5 mg of Klonopin every day.
  9. wulfman

I have read about how bad benzodiazepine addiction can be. I myself am only on 1.5-2 mg/day and if I do not take it for 2 days I immediately feel uneasy and unable to concentrate. Jittery would be the best word. And an anxiety for no reason would form and my heart feels strange. Panic type feeling. I don't think I could be off them at this point but things would probably be better if I slowly tapered it. I am not ready though.
  10. TXgirlNCworld

TXgirlNCworld Member

I have also read about how bad the addiction is. I have heard about people mixing with alcohol and not remember anything from the night and completely draw a blank.. I have had a few friends with serious benzo addictions and it is sad, as much as they say they want to stop...they can't. These drugs have their benefits when properly used with medical prescriptions by an actual doctor, but abusing this drug is something everyone should think twice about.
  11. wulfman

I did not know it could affect your memory. If you take it long term and as prescribed is this a side effect ? I really don't need that.
  12. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I was prescribed benzos for anxiety and I'm afraid to take any. They are only for emergency situations like when I am having panic attacks. Is there anything that one can take long-term that is not addictive? I have read that coming off a serious benzo addiction can kill you! Scary!
  13. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I do not think that the doctors hand ot this prescriptions because they want one to get addicted , they actually listen to your problem and give you what they know will assist you, I think there is actually nobody at fault here, each of ,also have to learn to control ourselves and try not to get addicted, this problem should actually be directed to pharmaceuticals, doctors do not make them they just try to help us out.
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, I don't think the doctors are trying to get us addicted either. Used correctly, these drugs can be very beneficial. Problems start when we veer from the doctors instructions and start taking extra tablets. Maybe we need to look at the reasons we may be tempted to use them as a crutch and work through it.
  15. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

My ex had really bad anxiety and took Xanax. She ended up getting them taken away because she was also abusing heroin(and selling the Xans for it) and was an alcoholic. It's a shame because she really did need the Xanax(she would got into a full fledged panic attack and taking a Xanax would calm her right back down), and she was just selling/trading them away for heroin. When we were together way back when she only needed one to calm down, but when she re-entered my life four years later, she would pop like ten just to calm down again. But seriously, like another user said, alcohol + Xanax = major memory loss. She basically didn't have a short term memory. You could tell her something, with her looking you straight in the eye and paying full attention to you, and if you asked her to repeat what you just said, she wouldn't be able to. It got really bad.