An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Be grateful you have problems

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by orangesunset, Feb 3, 2015.

1. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Without problems we would not grow, and it is problems that make us stronger. Sometimes problems force us to change old bad behaviour. It isn't easy to see this when you are experiencing the problem, but many times you look back and see that the problem was actually a blessing.
  2. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

In many instances, this is very true. Life is full of trials and adversities. These do make us who we are. We are to grow and learn from our mistakes. It does sometimes require we go through hard times to get to the other side of the rainbow. I have seen it happen many times.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Problems are indeed blessings in disguise. The old cliches "rainbow after the rain" and "light at the end of the tunnel" would all sound empty unless you've been through a lot in the past and managed to overcome many challenges. If people in the recovery stage would only see the purpose of problems in this manner.
  4. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

I have to say that problems do keep us strong. If there were no issues to learn from how would we grow. I had a rough childhood and without that I wouldn't be the father I am today.
  5. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I think I agree to a certain level that problems are indeed blessings. They make us realize so many things that we take for granted like telling family members "be safe on your way to work or school" before leaving the house. Life is truly filled with different trials for us and its often what teaches us on how we cope with life but I do hope for our sake that we make the effort to improve our ways and not wait for a problem to drop on us and has to shock us back to our senses.
  6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Agreed! a problem free life does not build character nor teach a person fortitude and perseverance. To be strong a we must build our strength and that does not come from having everything laid out for a person all the time.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Problems?! What problems? Every living creature faces risk and odds it may or may not survive, even we humans can't change our experiences once we have experienced, we can only hope we can muster the most beneficial attitudes of learning from it all! Problems are but a subset of experiences and to those humans unwilling to solve their own problems, they shall always have trouble living with themselves. The answer is within the problem, otherwise it will be nothing.
  8. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I like how you have put that... problems really are a blessing because without them there is no growth and maturing of personalities and characters! I think that having problems also makes one strong and fearless in a sense, once you have tackled a few problems, taking risks and living life to the fullest won't seem like a big scary thing anymore. Nice share!
  9. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

I agree, problems give us a reason to live, a reason to solve them. Life is full of test, but we have to be strong during those times so that we can enjoy the good times even more.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. How many times have we heard this? Time and time again and from everything I've read the science is there to support this theory. I read somewhere that 'a chain is no stronger than its weakest link and life after all is a chain.'
  11. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I have often seen a problem that I am battling and overcoming as a blessing. I know that when I hurt my back and was told I had to change jobs, I did not think I would like it. Now I am able to spend more time with my kids and I have to admit, I would not change a thing.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

A problem is actually a part of our life miseries. We encountered it everyday in our life which sometimes makes us to be in pain, sadness, loss of faith, anger, and even to be out of control within ourselves. But all of these are the fundamental things which will makes us strong and to hold on tight after we found the solution to the problems that we had encountered. These will also makes us to be a better person and to use these experiences to face life adversities and to grow into a more responsible human being.
  13. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

Problems do help us grow. It's very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel though. With good friends and faith it helps us move on to better times. It's much more difficult if you feel alone or are surrounded by negative people. I hope that all our situations will improve soon. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger the saying goes. I wouldn't go so far as to say that but I do believe as long as we have life there is hope to improve our situations. I have found inner strength I never knew I had in the past few years. I wish every one here better days to come and Happy Valentine's Day too.
  14. juno

juno Community Champion

I agree that every obstacle in life is a learning experience and it makes you stronger. Although a problem like addiction is one that you can not be grateful for in that it is a life long battle because even when you are recovered you will always carry the label and you can never do simple things like toast to champagne. However, I think it definitely makes you a strong person.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yeah that's true, in hindsight you will see that's it's the catalyst for a much needed change, but if you're in the middle of the problem and the solution is a long time coming, it really can be discouraging and daunting! Life is a journey of tests that we have to pass, I guess.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Depends on one's perspective actually. Someone who has problems doesn't see them as beneficial. Think of someone who lost a job. Would they embrace the calamity as something they can learn from when they are broke? Of course losing a job might force someone to start a business and they may end up earning a lot more than they did when they were working a 9 — 5:00 job but while they still can't figure out how they'll earn some cash, it's easy to get depressed.

Personally I'll never be grateful for problems but should they beset me, I've learned to fight my way out without seeking alternative ways to cope.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think it's much easier to recognize trials and problems as blessings, after the fact. It's kind of hard to see things in that light in the midst of a struggle/tough situation. Looking back, I can see many problems that were indeed blessings, and in fact my faith explains that they are all for a reason.

Besides, if everything was perfect all the time, we'd have nothing to strive for, nothing to dream about.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah. Lol. I guess. I know what you are saying. I was listening to this man talk about something his brother did to him that was messed up. He was talking about this exact thing. He said that it prepared him for something bigger. If it wasn't for this he would have never been ready to face the great things that came after that. He wouldn't of been able to handle it when it was really important if his brother hadn't betrayed him. But because of this as you say it was a blessing.
    The preparation of the trials and tribulations that bring about awareness for what is more important.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I like that idea of seeing the problems that we face as things that make us stronger rather things that destroy us or make us weaker. I have absolutely learned from every problem that I've faced in life - I may not have realized it at the time but there's a lesson from every struggle.
    Zyni likes this.
  20. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you encounter problems, you will learn techniques on how to solve them. Once you learn the problem solution method, you learn like skills. Thus having problems means learning life skills. People who never have had any problem are very naive when it comes to handling situations.