An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Be happy

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by joe, Jan 21, 2015.

1. joe

joe Active Contributor

Happiness is a choice you decide to make. Some people are victim of circumstances, they are happy because the situation allow, and when things are bad, they are sad. This should not be the case. Choose to be happy despite the circumstances.
    Rainman and muthoni like this.
  2. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

Happiness is also a mindset. It takes strong will and determination. There are people who somehow make it their life's mission to tear others down. If we allow them to get inside our head we will be sad. Whether it be a thief or just someone who constantly criticizes you. We have to make up our minds and say this will not break my spirit. As children we never worried much. We were carefree. Somewhere along the way we realized that things won't always go our way and then sadness began to seep in. I know not all kids are happy but at least as children we got over painful things quicker than now that we are older.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

You can turn just about any situation in your life into a happy one if you try hard enough, or at least find something to be happy about as an after fact to the situation. Life is full of lessons we must learn, and we are put into situations so that we learn from them.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Although it is easier said than done, I think it is better to be trying than not. :)
    There are times that it is really hard to be happy no matter how you think positively. But still one can recover faster from sadness when doing efforts or thinking to be happy.
  5. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Being optimistic really has a positive effect on all the things. I used to put the bad ahead of me all the time and I always got moody. Being optimistic really helps out to feel better daily.
  6. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

This is very true, if we waited to be happy when things work out right then we would be so unhappy. I also made that promise to myself that I will be happy no matters how tough things get. Sometimes I take time to cry when I feel so hurt. I do not allow myself to dwell on it for long. I talk to my heart about the worst case scenarios and it makes me realize that there is so much to be thankful about.
  7. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with you. Life is about choices and being happy is one of the many choices life offers us! Being happy despite everything going on around you really does make a huge difference in how you approach your life as well as your sobriety!
    Nicely put.
  8. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Agree with elles. Taking vitamin D in the winter can also help you have a better mood.
  9. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I don't know if vitamin D can help, eventually it can because in fact we get more depressive when we don't see the sun and we know that sun produces it, good tip! ;)
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. It is a choice isn't it. I do try to be happy no matter what. Things can always be better. There can always be a better situation or circumstance. If we enjoy the current the next can be even greater. Even if the current is not so great at all.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, we should always try to look on the bright side of everything because negativity will only let us down and it will make us even more depressed. No matter what happens, we should always try to look on the bright side. It will do wonders for our mood.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've definitely tried to incorporate that approach myself to my every day life. I do find that when I have a positive mind set everything else seems to fall into line so much easier. I feel more motivated and more productive when I'm happy as well and I think that helps my mood.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have always believed that happiness is a choice. Whether you're in a good or a bad situation, it's already in our hands how we're going to deal with it. Worrying and feeling sad won't help solve the problem anyway, so just be positive, it might also attract positivity.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

you cannot fake happiness because happiness is not something that can be forced upon you. Happiness comes from withing, Having said that you can learn how to become happy. For example, you can be satisfied with your situation, you can be happy.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's the attitude that counts. If you believe that good things are coming your way then I'm sure you'll be happier than someone who's is always worried about what the future might hold and yeah . . .

. . . be grateful for what you have and you'll be a lot happier.

# “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
    Frederick Keonig
  16. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well it is certainly a simple thing, but it really does go a long way. It might be a cliche, it might be easier said than done, but it is all about a state of mind when you are going through these personal issues. If you can think it you can do it. The power of the mind. All of those things matter, and that more you can tell yourself that the better off you will be.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I guess someone's happiness would largely depend on how he or she perceive things. As for me, I always try to see the humor in every situation, no matter how dire.