An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Be Optimistic

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Never doubt your ability to overcome an addiction. Fact is if you have the belief that you have the ability to stay clean, or overcome an addiction, your mindset can see you attain victory.Entertain not negative thoughts like, "how will I survive without . . . will my friends abandon me, etc, etc and you'll a step closer to winning the battler [against addiction].

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence."
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

It's good to be optimistic, but that doesn't mean one has a positive or yes attitude or have not rid their self of their non-beneficial habits. Truth is, affirmations of "yes" and "whatever it takes" to get better attitude, is more specific and directly effective to changing one's mind - optimism is too vague and general. Every man or woman is the author of their own life.
  3. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

I am such a believer in optimism. I always feel there is hope for a better outcome in any situation. It is always a great idea to look on the bright side. What would the world be without hope? We would feel like we could never get over anything. I am so glad that we can always have hope for a better tomorrow.
  4. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Optimism will eventually grow into other areas of your life once you start being so.
  5. Abo Nights

Abo Nights Member

My friend, who's addicted, was very optimistic in the past. He lost this trait when he started doing drugs. Then it was my turn to convince him to be optimistic for. When I went on a 1 month 'world trip' and came back, he had been in rehab for 6 months. He never contacted me about it and when I went to visit him, he told me that it was because of me. He found his 'old self' again, because I kept trying to convince him to never give up.

Never give up
  6. daregicide

daregicide Member

It's always good to be optimistic. Another thing that people should realize is that their lives could change in an instant and also that it could also be a lot worse than it is right now. You can't take your life for granted because there are a lot of people out there that are living under bad circumstances.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am glad you were able to play a meaningful role in your friend's life. You actions evidenced your own belief in optimism. I am a firm believer in the power of hopefulness. Without it this world be a terrible place to live in. "The doctrine as set forth by Leibniz that this world is the best of all possible worlds" adds to my optimism.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, being optimistic can give hope and can make one realize than he or she can do anything like quitting his/her addiction. It is trying to see the brighter side of things can give positive results as well. One can also give motivation to others.
  9. meenz

meenz Member

Being optimistic can definitely help someone get through their recovery at a better pace. Though it's understandable when people explain how difficult it is to stay optimistic. Every day there is a tidal wave of remembrance of their drug abusing moments, which they cannot escape. But, to those who stay optimistic, there is reward. They are the people who will most likely continue forward with their recovery process, rather than falling back into their abusive habits.
  10. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I would say it's more realistic than optimistic to say one can get rid of addiction. But you're right, drug users can lose touch with reality and lose faith in themselves and in their potential. They need to know that it will not all be sunshine and roses, that they will sweat and cry maybe, but that they can make it through. I think that to see it too positive might create unrealistic expectations and that, unless one is optimistic to the bone, it will create a hard fall. However, to see possibilities rather than obstacles is a great skill to have.
  11. 003

003 Community Champion

It's not gonna be easy and often it's gonna be wobbly and it becomes, to whom are you going to rely? Aside from your family, to your own determination. You have not to let your own self down. Stay optimistic no matter how hard it may be because if you don't it's just gonna make you overly weak. Don't be weak.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Sometimes, we're going to face problems and difficulties in life. It's just natural to go through that. Everyone has already experienced that. But you just got to be positive and optimistic about everything. Sooner or later, everything will be fine.
  13. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Friends that abandon people in need of support can't really be considered friends. Unfortunately there will always those people who will only look you up whenever its convenient for them or doesn't know how to cope in dealing with other people's situation. I cannot fully judge people on behaving in that way also because they may also have had certain experiences that lead them to be that way.
  14. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

Optimism really helps especially to those who are at the lowest point of their lives who are trying to recover. They are hopeless and are negative about everything because of what happened to them. Optimism gives hope even to those who are hopeless and eventually it will lead to a better outlook in life. I’ve had experiences that I was hopeless but remained optimistic and true enough I found a way to solve my problems with that little bit of hope it gave me.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This is true. You need to stay positive and never be negative. The first and last line of defense will be your own mind. If yo give in you will lost. Stay positive and stay strong.
  16. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I think there are studies that prove that laughter many times contributes a lot to cures and healing, the same with addiction, if we are optimistic our chances increase.
  17. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

There's a fine line between optimism and foolishness. It's a great quality to be optimistic but we should also be aware of our capabilities' reach. For example, say your dream was to become a billionaire. You've become successful and make hundreds of thousands of dollars every year but you're still not content because your optimism always propels you to lust for more and more money. My point is, being a millionaire ain't that bad either. I'd settle for that, too. But that's just me.
  18. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

You need to have a positive mind set no matter what. There is no way you are going to make it without one. Just take a deep breath and put the negative behind you. Have confidence in your abilities and move forward.
  19. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I believe that is the right mindframe adfnio, but at the same time it is hard when anxiety grows inside of us. In those cases we just need to find ways to get rid of it.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If you really want to stay clean, then all you have to do is think positive, and have the will and determination to make a positive change in your life, and don't look back. You will then be one step closer towards your goal of recovery.