An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Be strong and supportive at the same time

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by tasha, Nov 28, 2014.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is true, you can be sober for years and years but there is always the temptation and the little red devil in the back of your mind, waiting for the opportune moment to push you to just have one sip, and this is something that an addict will always have to fight and fear. The good news is that being sober gives a chance for a new life and it means changes completely. Meetings, groups and a lifestyle change are a permanent part of life now.
  2. tasha

Most of the people I have helped have had issues with something or another, they wanted to fit in, they were never told not to try it, they were angry or hurt and needed an escape. Liking that feeling is because there is nothing else that has made you feel that good, it gives you a chance to escape and each time you have a problem that feeling is what you crave and it continues on to become more than just the feeling but a routine as a part of the day until thee is no routine and it starts to control you.
  3. tasha

Being supportive is important because an addict becomes so lost and they are alone, that is why they continue to do what they have chosen to do. Some want to stop but they cant, others choose to do it because it is an escape from their crappy lives and there are some that dont realise that it is an addiction until they have no idea how they are living and who they are hurting. It is never too late to stop, to intervene and to get sober!
  4. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That's exactly it, as they live for the addiction and they care for nothing else, they think that the world is pretty much the same, so seeing someone caring for them can make the difference.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think the reason why people get into drugs or addiction is because of peer pressure,family issues or personal problems that they are facing. The sooner one admits or acknowledges that they have a problem,the better chances they have of coming off their woes confronting them.Accepting that we have a problem would be our first step to our recovery process.
  6. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

I totally understand, but I guess my point would be, what happens when you as the addict, are trying to find the reason for your using, and you can't find it? You made a comment about liking the feeling the substance gives you, because you haven't found anything else that has given you that feeling. When it comes to certain drugs, there is nothing in life that can compare to what they give you. Take Heroin for instance, a lot of my clients describe the way Heroin makes them feel, as unbelievable and amazing. Then there is Meth that makes you feel superhuman. For whatever reason they started using the substance, peer pressure, experimenting, etc., the truth is that the drugs do make you feel better, just not forever. They eventually lose their power to make you feel good, and they eventually just start making you feel numb. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people that are using because of their childhood, or some other trauma, but I just don't think that it is the same for everyone. Some just start using, and like the way the substance makes them feel, because thats what it is designed to do. In my practice, it has been my experience that every addiction is independent from every other addiction. Addiction is such a personal thing, and I find it hard to say that there are always underlying issues that makes a person use. Sometimes the brain just likes what it was given, and wants more and more.

Let me know your thoughts,

Charles P.
  7. YellowTrain

YellowTrain Member

I agree. You have to stand your ground and let them know that you want to help. At the same time you shouldn't judge them for anything that they do. They're struggling to help themselves just as much, if not more, than we are to try to help them. Stay strong, but when they mess up, and they will, let it go. It's not so much getting them to to cut cold turkey, but to slowly give it up
  8. tasha

I have found that many of the teenagers that tried meth or other drugs because someone told them to try it were from families that are either from broken homes, deceased homes and they were neglected in some way as a child. The cases I have dealt with have never said they just tried it because it seemed like fun, they tried it because they knew no consequence and it made them feel a certain way, replacing something else in their lives but after working with a lot of them, they all went on to a brighter future that is drug free and some of them denied problems and have been back to rehab a few times.
  9. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Social support is important especially when the addict cannot confide his/her issues with the family. Friends become tools to bridge the communication gap between the parents and the children. Being a friend is a social responsibility.
  10. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Addiction makes people lose themselves, so those two words are the key, we need to put them into practice if someone wants and is willing to "be saved".
  11. snlich

snlich Member

Golly, everyone is here is so wise!

I really wish I had all of your people in my life directly. It would probably change my outlook on a lot.
  12. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

This is why I am so adamant that those wanting to recover from a serious addiction need to try and recover under the eye of both a physician AND a therapist. If you do not deal with the issues that the substance is supposed to be an escape from - you will never really be able to heal and attain the healthy lifestyle that you are seeking.
  13. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

lol are you trolling us snlich? That doesn't seem too nice to be honest, we are just giving our best? Either cases I haven't seen your opinion on this matter, maybe you care to share it?