An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Beer and Potbelly!

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Sudarsan, May 30, 2015.

1. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

I've always preferred beer over other distilled drinks. I never sensed any logic in it except for one small thought that distilled drinks are harder than beer so I'd be getting more drunk. Thus, drinking beer would mean I'd be drinking, but not getting too drunk.

However, after some years, I realized I was developing a pot belly. Well, I was an emotional-eater, which could be one reason, but whenever I used to drink beer, I used to realize my stomach getting that flat round shape.

Does drinking beer really cause a pot belly?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I don't know whether this comment should fall under this category but yes, in many cases, beer can cause pot belly - otherwise known as abdominal or central obesity. This condition happens only when your hormones start fluctuating because of too much fat building up around the stomach area with little to no exercise.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I see many beer drinkers sporting that typical beer or pot belly. Even the more athletic beer lovers who are of a slim build tend to have a small pot belly. I think it might have a lot to do with the yeast in beer. If you are fond of bread and pastries, you tend to develop a similar belly. Personally, I much prefer a six-pack belly. :)
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also know a lot of people who drink alcohol especially beer heavily who have big belly.
    I think that is one side effect of constant drinking and on some serious cases, that could be a sign of liver illness.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Have you tried asking this to Homer Simpson?

This cartoon is the clear example of a well-known fact; who ever is beer aficionado tend to develop pot belly in the long run, particularly if you have a sedentary lifestyle ;)
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

My dad, had a beer pot belly and when he would visit us as he was staying in Australia he would drink two bottles or three a day as he was in holiday would drink after breakfast and at night too. I reckon weight can increase too, as the liquid moves around in the body and need to be careful that you don't drink like Homer who has beer everyday as he has a pot belly. The liver, can only handle a little and need to watch the consumption or can be like food eating too much can increase the weight same with beer and get a bigger belly than needed.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My dad has one and he's an avid beer drinker. The problem here is that he works a lot daily (in a kind of an physically-intense field) and he still isn't able to get rid of it.
    So, yes, you can develop a pot belly if you drink beer a lot.
  8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

My father is a whiskey drinker because he said that beer makes his tummy bulge. But I know that he drinks whiskey because he likes it over beer, I mean the taste. My niece is almost 30 years old and drinks beer when she goes out with friends after work. She's got a beer belly such that she was always suspected to be pregnant. When I told her the story of my father, she shrugged and didn't believe, reasoning that I only wanted her to quit drinking. What an attitude eh?
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Beer has a lot of calories and wheat (gluten). That means a you are going to gain weight from it's consumption. It's weight gain, not just a belly.
  10. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

I think beer can give pot bellies because of the calorie content. But I know a lot of people who drink and live pretty active lifestyles without the pot belly. Some of them workout, ride a bicycle, swim, pretty low key stuff. Just like calorie rich foods/drinks, it's important to be pretty active in daily life.
  11. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Of course beer causes potbelly. I have seen a lot of men with potbellies that drink beer very regularly. The thing some people don't understand is that beers are very high in calories and a lot of the persons that consume it on a regular basis are not very active physically and therefore the additional calories will manifest itself over time in the potbelly.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Consuming more calories than you burn causes weight gain. Your genetics determine where it goes. That's it that is the entire story of having a pot belly. No one thing causes or gets rid of it. Beer no more gives you a "beer gut" than ice cream or sausages. As you age where it settles also changes.
    Now we could have a conversation about the caloric content of beer, or any alcohol for that matter. Alcohol itself is caloricly dense, it has more calories than carbs, fats or proteins. Any "low-cal" alcohol is purely marketing. That being said, what you mix with it or what form it is in also plays a huge roll with your rolls. Drinks with soda and beer do have more calories than others.
  13. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I have tried to drink beer in the past but I just do not like the taste of beer. I have heard people say that there is nothing like the taste of a cold beer but in my opinion, it taste horrible. I haven't tried one brand that would make me ever want to drink a beer.
  14. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Yes it does, it has a lot of gas and calories in it all of which will contribute to excess belly fat, I know all calories will d this but I am not sure why beer calories seem to head straight for the belly! This is why you see so many guys in pubs with "beer bellies"
    Sudarsan likes this.
  15. Sudarsan

Definitely, beer has a lot of calories and I guess it's because it's made of barley and contains all that yeast. But, I heard that consuming beer results in pot bellies because the liver that is supposed to burn fat, ends up burning beer. Do you know more about this stuff? I'd like to learn more about this pot belly thing!
    Clairelouise84 likes this.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Gas? I'm not sure how gas contributes to belly fat. Beer does have a lot of gas and it may make you burp but there isn't any possible way that it could increase fat stores.
    I have seen many guys with big belly's in many locations.
    Calories don't discriminate. A beer calorie does not "go" somewhere different from calories from other sources. A calorie is a calorie. What you weight and where fat sits is determined by the amount of calories you consume minus the amount of calories you burn. As well as by genetics. That is all there is too it.
  17. Devonne

Devonne Member

My husband is a beer drinker and has started to develop a "pot belly". He eats healthy other than that and exercises daily. He also has a job that requires him to stand and work hard all day. When he went to the doctor the doctor stated that it was a dip in his testosterone levels that helped him develop the belly. They ran tests a
    t a basic health exam so I don't question that he has has a testosterone dip but I'm not so sure that is where the belly is coming from. A calorie is a calorie though so even though my husband eats well and exercises, well he may not be doing it frequent enough to battle the calories that beer has. Good question though.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't know if it's beer, as such, or just the abundance of extra calories that are in beer. To me it's the same as if I was drinking multiple cans of calorie-laden soft drinks...if I'm not burning off those additional calories then there's going to be a surplus -- and that weight has to go somewhere! I think in men it's more likely that it ends up as a pot belly as it just tends to be where men store excess weight. Ultimately though it's extra weight and that's not a good thing for overall health so I guess it's even more incentive to drink less.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  19. Sudarsan

Is drinking beer really the same as drinking multiple cans of calorie-laden soft drinks? I mean how many cans of calorie-laden soft drinks do we normally drink and how frequently? We surely don't drink more than 2 cans, and we don't even drink it everyday because too much of it just doesn't go down our throat! But beer is beer! Once you start to like the feel of that beer going down your pipe, you're your own Stone Cold Steve Austin! So, I think the reason why beer drinkers always have a beer belly is because we always drink a lot of beer, so we're consuming a lot more calories!
  20. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

No, that's very true but the excess gas consumed on a daily or at least regular basis will cause the stomach to bloat significantly and it will cause water retention too which will also contribute to bloating but no you're absolutely right, a calorie will not "go" anywhere specific.