An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Beer and Potbelly!

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Sudarsan, May 30, 2015.

1. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I know very little about it apart from the beer has a lot of calories and gas and the gas will cause bloating and the alcohol can cause water retention which gives the appearance of bloating. I only know what I have observed because I never really drank beer, too gassy for me.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Interesting! Excess gas and bloating does make sense. I am going to look into that a little more. Not that I can drink these days but it's just interesting information.
    My brother is one of those craft beer snobs. At family functions he scoffs if his beer is served in a bottle/can. He says putting it in a glass lets extra gas out and you don't burp.
    Clairelouise84 likes this.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes. That's because beer expands your stomach so much that if you drink it as a habit you start developing a beer belly. This, however, doesn't happen to every individual. and it's more of a genetic thing. If your father was also prone to this or has a belly, you should consider reducing the amount of beer you drink.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

One pint of beer contains around 200 calories so it's easy to see how drinking lots of it can cause weight gain. Add the fact that beer often causes bloating and you've got the recipe for a big fat beer gut right there!
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I actually found a post on Pinterest the other day, I didn't pay so much attention because i no longer drink, but it was a chart with what drinks one should drink in order to get drunk faster and drink less. It was something like ''get drunk, not fat''. So yes, beer do make you fat! Alcohol is not good at all if you are tying to lose weight, it's a well known fact about diets and eating healthy in general. If you want to drop that pot belly you need to stop drinking beer and start exercising. Most of the big beer drinkers I know have pot bellies. Can't be a coincidence.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Knowing the caloric content of alcohol in general was yet another reason I decided to stop drinking. I cared less when I was younger, and I’d be more likely to store the extra fat around my hips/butt/thighs than the belly. But hey, this awesome metabolism ain’t gonna last forever, no matter how healthy I keep myself.

I certainly did witness beer bellies in males who would drink a lot of beer, though. Someone I knew was drinking so much and living such an unhealthy lifestyle, he ended up getting diagnosed with hypertension and pre-diabetes. He cut way back and started living healthier, thereby losing a LOT of weight. I hardly recognized him the last time I saw him.

On occasion I’ve also seen that if someone has lost weight due to other lifestyle changes, his beer belly wouldn’t budge because he was still drinking 2-3 bottles a night. This is kind of rare, but I always found it a bit odd.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Oh believe me, I definitely know people that drink a ton of soft drink!! Probably on par with alcoholics, to be honest! Obviously there's not the same effect on them as beer has, but in terms of calories as far as I know they'd be similar. I'm no nutritionist or qualified dietitian though so feel free to let me know if I'm way off the mark! But yes, alcoholics are obviously going through a lot of empty calories in their drinks so it's understandable the pot belly can result.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  8. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Ha ha I wish that were true, my other half likes beer and she puts it into a glass and it certainly does not stop her from burping! lol I loved the smell of it when I drank, it was just far too fizzy for me to cope with, gave me the worst heartburn ever!
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've seen pot belly beer drinkers, but, I've also seen many who don't have it. So, I don't really know if it's true or just a myth. I never had to worry about that, though, because I don't like to get drunk on beer. It's too much of a hassle, the burping, the pissing, it's just too much, because I have to at least have a six-pack to get the type of buzz I like.
  10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It's not just beer that causes a pot belly or excessive stomach fat. The truth is drinking alcohol is basically adding nothing but empty calories into your body. You're also not keeping track of those calories. It's not like it's posted on the bottles. You'd have to want to know & look into it. Beer is not the only culprit here.
    Getting drunk also leaves you in a position where you are likely stuffing your face with unhealthy greasy fatty food to soak up that alcohol. If you've drank in excess you've stuffed a giant pizza slice into your face at some point. Now combine that with having an alcohol problem & you increase all those potential & absolute risks. Making it easy to gain the weight.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  11. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

Sometimes I wonder, 'Is beer that bad just because of the calories? Is that why people prefer a 60 ml glass of distilled liquor instead?'
    You just said you're neither a nutritionist nor a qualified dietitian, but I've got this feeling that you're a person with a lot of knowledge. So, I just couldn't stop myself from asking you! :D
  12. Basinator

Basinator Member

Well, beer (and any alcoholic product, really) causes a potbelly (or beer belly) because your liver (which usually processes the fat from foods) is busy processing alcohol. It is a rule of thumb, that your liver can process about 200ml of beer per HOUR. So when drinking heavily, the fat goes elsewhere.
    Also, beer is very calory-rich. About 150-200 per beer bottle.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  13. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I do think there's a big connection with drinking beer and developing a pot or beer belly. Beer has a lot of calories in it that can cause someone to add on more weight as he/she continues the habit of drinking beer. Plus, some people eat more caloric food such as meat, chips, nuts and other highly fattening food while drinking.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  14. Sudarsan

Now, this is a very important point! All the junkies like meat, chips, nuts and crisps that we have actually play a big role in the expansion of this notorious beer belly! We always blame the beer, but after all, who can ignore all the junkies? I mean, you have to be really stingy to have only beer without those junkies! So, I guess we should start calling it 'the beer and junkies belly' or 'the beer belly with junkies'. haha... that would be a good way to let people know that its not only the beer!
    gracer likes this.
  15. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Beer alone doesn't cause pot belly. Yes, a beer has 4 to 10% of alcohol (approx) and alcohol tops up on calories. Several factors go into causing a pot belly. Prominent among them are sedentary habits, excess eating/binge eating of high-calorie foods, male gender, alcohol-induced excess appetite, hunger mechanism thrown out of gear and so on.

Men have very little subcutaneous fat and tend to store more fat around the belly area. Also, when you top up on loads of beer, the liver burns alcohol than stored fat. This further adds to the fat stores. Metabolic syndrome also plays its part as you grow older.

Best thing is to control your beer cravings!
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  16. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

That is true, beer is just one of the factors that can make us to have pot belly. Bad nutrition and poor exercise habits are the main cause, basically we need to work out!
  17. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I cant say for sure however anyone I have ever met that drinks excessively has always had a pot belly. My father in law used to drink a lot and when he quit drinking he lost 60 pounds within a few months and the alcohol was the only thing he changed in his diet.
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Your comment recalls myself in childhood when I was given the chance to sip a bit of beer at a home reunion.

It was so bitter to my taste! It was until my late teens that I tried it again and ended up liking dark beer, which is of a stronger taste than others, but certainly some people never ever can drink it. My mom is one of those persons who have always disliked it till today.
  19. gracer

gracer Community Champion

That's really funny! "The beer and junkies belly!" :LOL Anyway, there are really a lot of factors to consider other than the beer. It is only one of the many factors contributing to a huge belly as what @sunflogun said.
  20. Sudarsan

@sunflogun is right. But poor exercise habits is common in every beer drinker! When the last bottle of beer slips off your hands and you're lying on bed fast asleep, not a single wrinkle on your face foretells that you are going to wake up in the early morning and go for jogging!