An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Beer and Potbelly!

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Sudarsan, May 30, 2015.

1. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have seen women with beer guts. It definitely looks different from men, but trust me, you can tell. You've probably seen one before and you just haven't recognized it.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Yeah, that could also have happened, I could have seen a woman, thought she was just fat, but most likely was due to beer. We can really deform ourselves through our actions.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My partner is a heavy beer drinker and he is sporting the pot belly. I would say it is from all the beer because he is not a big eater. He has consumed a lot of beer over the years and his belly just keeps expanding. I am sure if he was to give up drinking he would lose the extra weight quite quickly. I can't see that ever happening though.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have actually seen the beer belly in most dads who drinks regularly. My father in law and all his brothers sport this look as they are heavy drinkers. Though men and women should be aware as this beer belly and stiffening of the abdomen may be signs of cirrhosis.
  5. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

Whenever you are drinking alcohol, you are consuming calories from two different sources: the alcohol itself, and whatever sugars are left in it. Alcohol itself is quite calorie dense, but even strong drinks don't have that much alcohol in them. A little goes a long way, in other words.

The result is, very often most of the calories you are getting from alcoholic beverages come from sugar. Some alcoholic beverages have almost no sugar (stronger hard liquor), while others have quite a lot (highballs and very sweet wine). Beer usually is relatively low alcohol (around 5%), but it can have quite a bit of sugar in it, depending on the style. The result is that it might not get someone particularly drunk, but it is pretty high calorie, and those calories are the type (sugar and alcohol) that cause a big insulin spike. Insulin, along with consuming too many calories leads to fat accumulation in the abdominal area.

Another thing worth noting, the "beer belly" people often describe in reference to heavy drinkers can be caused by cirrhosis of the liver. This isn't just some fat accumulation, but a much more serious health concerned caused by heavy drinking.
  6. sunflogun

Yes, we are just discussing the external looks because what happens in the inside is far more worrying. Like you say, the liver suffers a lot from the alcohol and we can be dead because of it.
  7. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I've heard of people saying beer bellly but wondering if its the actual beer raises a question. One thing for sure though, some get there belly from eating and for some its a matter of heredity. For example, my husband has a large belly and so does his father. They are built up the same.
  8. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

While it's true that food and genetics can play a role in stomach fat, we shouldn't discount the role that drinking plays. Drinking in excess adds a very large number of calories to a persons diet. On top of that, the type of nutrients that are in alcoholic beverages, that is, alcohol and sugar, lead to insulin spikes, which promote the accumulation of stomach fat.
  9. sunflogun

It's not just drinking of course, what we eat make a difference too, but I think that when we look at ourselves we know that it's not normal what we are making to our bodies.
  10. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

I believe it's true because I have seen too many heavy drinkers lost away in belly fat. My boyfriend was once a stud, a real catch. Now, you see his belly before you see him! We go out late at nights and he has to always have his beer.

He also eats alot and unhealthily so all of these factors plus beer amounts to a big old potbelly. I still love him though.