An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Beer Vs Wine Vs Liquor Alcoholism

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by melody, Feb 2, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

When I drink I feel like beer, wine and liquor have different effects on me. It got me wondering if there are different kinds of alcoholism based off of the type you drink. Or, is it that all alcohol addiction is treated in the same manner, regardless of which kind it was?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think all alcohol addiction is the same no matter what kind. Beer or wine isn't as strong as liquor tho. I think if you drink in moderation you might not get addicted to any of these at all. But if you have no self control all of this can get you drunk and make you a alcoholic. I think that all alcohol addiction would get treated in the same manner.
  3. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Alcoholism is alcoholism in my mind.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's not so much on what you're drinking as the alcohol level in your drink. I mean, a lot of commercial beers and certain types of red wine only have around 14 percent or less alcohol so it's not unusual for you to have a higher tolerance when drinking them. If you drink wines categorized as "high spirits" (which normally contain 40% or more alcohol), you'd be dead drunk before you know it plus a much more painful hangover the next day.
    melody likes this.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

All alcoholic drinks have ethanol, don't get it confused with methanol, methanol will make you blind and or kill you. The reason that you feel that the different alcoholic drinks affect you in a different way is because their alcohol content in them is different.
    melody likes this.
  6. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Alcohol has the same effect on your body, no matter the type of drink you ingest. Be it beer, wine, liquor, all that matters is the time period and the quantity in which the alcohol enters your body. The quicker it is, the stronger you feel it, this is why people tend to feel drunker while taking shots and feel like they're only tipsy while drinking beers.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Exactly! Doesn't matter what you drink. If you are addicted to it and it is controlling your life then it doesn't matter if it is beer or hard liquor.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One myth many people people believe is that wine isn't as bad as hard liquor or beer. Though it's alcohol content is lower too much of anything is just as bad. Even having "only" two glasses of wine a night eventually will lead to addiction and it will come with all it's negative consequences [physically [your health and psychologically]. At that time no can tell whether you were a wine drinker or a beer guzzler — all they'll see is an alcoholic.
    melody likes this.
  9. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

While they may give people different feelings of drunk, the addiction is to alcohol.
  10. melody

melody Active Contributor

I see, so the body just converts it all the same anyway, so it does not really matter what type it is. I do hear people say that wine is healthier, all the time. Sometimes, it just seems like something you say for an excuse to drink. However, I know some Italians who swear 1 glass of wine a day keeps the doctor away. I won't argue with Italians, they get much louder than I can!
    Rainman likes this.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It's all the same, IMO.
    melody likes this.
  12. IgCho

IgCho Member

I think the physiological nature of addiction and alcoholism in general (as an addiction with a clear physical dependence that develops) makes it so that the quality of addiction to each of these different categories is roughly the same. That being said it's fairly obvious to me that the different media of ingestion have slightly different effects if even only because so much more liquid is necessary for, say, beer to be consumed than liquor to achieve the same level of inebriation.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Some drinks are stronger than others, that's why there is hard liquor. But I think that they are all just the same, they make people drunk.
  14. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Well, it depends on the content of alcohol in the drinks. Different liquors have different content of alcohol in them and a softer liquor will take more time to get you drunk than a hard liquor. The final effect is the same. But the intermediate stages of intoxication, depending on their length, will result in different 'experiences' due to the 'malfunctioning' of the person's brain.
    melody likes this.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that it is just all the same. Whatever alcohol type or brand one got addicted to, it is still alcoholism. Maybe there could be level of being addicted like if it is already a severe case.
    melody likes this.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

If you're an alcoholic, it doesn't matter what you drink as long as it has alcohol in it. Sure, they have their preferences, but that's just when they can choose what to drink. If they don't have a choice, anything with alcohol will do just fine to any alcoholic.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

You can be addicted to many other things not only beer, gin or wine. If you find yourself craving for wine then you are at a risk of being addicted to it. You should know that any type of addiction is harmful to your health. If you want to quit drinking then consider quitting taking all the drinks that can make you tipsy.
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

We're the same in that regard. Different alcoholic beverages have varying effects on me as well. But you know, it doesn't really matter what type of alcohol a person is addicted to. It's all the same whether it's with beer, or wine, or hard liquor.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

An alcoholic is an alcoholic no matter how you cut the cake. However, that being said i think it is a difference in how much you drink, obviously it is going to be the volume with beer and wine. I think people addicted to those substances tend to drink much more than those that might be addicted to other liquors.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

You summed it up - if it's controlling your life, impacting your relationships, and you can't cope without it then it doesn't matter what type of alcohol it is, it's alcoholism - simple as that!