An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Before addiction

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Deeishere, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I wonder why doctors can't allow patients to only use a pain medication for a short period of time then switch to something else maybe even less strong so the body won't become depended on it. In the case of a serious injury, I was reading that you can take pain meds for a long time then it loses the effect. The patient takes more and more to alleviate the pain, then they get hooked on it.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it would be a good idea to ween patients off of strong medicine. I think more holistic approaches could be safer. If somebody keeps taking these strong pain killers they'll get used to it and that's really dangerous. The stronger the pain killer the higher the chances of overdosing. Switching to something less stronger like maybe something more natural sounds like a good idea.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Problem is not with the doctors recommending pain killers but the patients how get addicted to the painkillers. The patients should always try to look for alternative therapy for pain management and talk to the doctor about. If you always complain about pain, he will surely recommend heavy dose.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

That is indeed a great idea if doctors can implement it responsibly and wisely. As long as the first prescription is strong enough to help the patient and give them their money's worth, the next prescription should be less potent, but still useful. That may not help everyone, but it sure will help some people. Especially if the patient asks "Why am I getting a weaker dosage?" The doctor can say that it's for their sake so that they do not become addicted.
  5. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

In my opinion, I would suggest doctors place patients on a short term pain relievers pills and then continue with herbal drinks or oils which work wonderfully and have no way of getting you addicted because they are not always pleasant to take.
  6. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Yes so true. I have seen a patient who was getting so many prescriptions of Vicodin. He would get a 30 day supply then next week need another. He had a serious injury, but at that point I knew he was addicted. Even the pharmacy was wondering why he was getting so much Viodin. Finally he was referred to a pain clinic.