An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Before and after

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kana_marie, Mar 19, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm really curious. I don't think a lot of people realize it but when you become an addict and then get clean you just aren't the same person you were in the beginning. I don't know about y'all but it changed me all the way down to the very core. I used to like going out all the time. Drinking coffee with friends in the morning, going to hang out or party at night, or even just going to hang out at the lake. Now it nearly takes an act of God to get me to leave my house at all. I avoid phone conversations like they are the plague. I have a comfort zone now and the only people I allow in it are my husband and kids. On here I am not under pressure to say the right thing; or even say anything at all if I don't want to. I'm okay with that. Holding a conversation with someone in real time is nearly physically painful for me. How do your 'before and after' differ? Was it a positive change or negative?
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have known people who have gone through those changes. I actually know someone who had the exact opposite happen to them. They were once introverted, and very leery towards any sort of confrontation unless it was online or towards their friends. Whenever this person got off meth, he started to become an extrovert who loved to talk to people. It was a little bit crazy how that all worked out, but I am glad it did, because it opened up a lot of new doors to his life.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Getting changed is inevitable. In fact change is desirable. It helps us to realize that we're reformed, we've transformed ourselves into more better,responsible people. We have undergone a complete metamorphosis and the end result is a more better, healthier,vibrant,positive you.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It basically differs from one person to another since our experiences and our natural way of taking in things vary. My uncle took in things with a grain of salt. Although no one asked him whether he felt any different after his year of rehab, he simply lived like his life was merely paused for a while. He's now a policeman and still as stubborn and devil may care as ever. However, he's no longer into drugs and self-destructive. He became the person he was prior to the drug abuse, but only a little bit better. Oh well, I guess alchohol addles his brian sometimes. We're surprised he's not become an alcoholic.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think I have changed as well. Just like you, I loved going out and hanging out with my friends before. But after college, we have finally parted ways and haven't kept in touch until now. I isolated myself more from the society, and I barely leave the house now. I actually don't know why I suddenly became solitary.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Before I was an addict, I used to have to high an opinion of myself. Enslavement to addiction humbled me. I realized that I was no better than the people I'd despised. Though I'm yet to overcome my addiction my battle to beat it has changed me a lot. Because of it I've learned to be humble, to be kind, patient . . . in short I'm learning to be a better person.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Haha, I really know what you mean! After I got clean I got a little bit scared when I was put into social situations and I used to just be an introvert, mostly keeping to myself. After some time things got a little better and I am able to go out again and socialize with people more!
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I definetly have become a hermit since getting cleaned up. The more I go out the chances of getting drunk increases. If I just stay home and relax I won't fall back into my old habits. Sure most of my friends I have alienated because they still drink. I can't fall back into that, so I stay home with more money in my pocket.
  9. kh6912

kh6912 Member

My addiction began at such young age that when I finally got clean, I realized that I hadn't really developed my personality beyond being an addict. My first two years of sobriety were spent working and being a single parent, so I barely had time to eat a good meal, let alone do any self examination. Once my daughter was a little more independent, I kind of had a meltdown as I realized just how empty I was as an individual. Luckily, I had a good friend who stuck by me through that time and helped me to find myself again, or perhaps for the first time. I discovered that I'm a pretty cool chick after all! :)