An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Behavior Therapy?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I read an article recently about someone who had a social phobia which so bad that made it almost impossible for him to buy anything from a grocery store but behavior therapy transformed him into an entirely different person. It had me thinking, if behavior therapy can change someone that much then maybe it could also be beneficial to addicts especially those who use drugs to deal with social anxiety?

Do you think behavior therapy alone [without treatment] can help an addict beat their addiction?
  2. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Sure. Why not? In any case, no one would be able to prove how effective behavior therapy is unless they used it alone. But, I would want them to try it on a less serious sort of addiction first, maybe the internet or caffeine or something.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think behavior therapy alone won't make an addict sober, but if used in conjunction with other treatments then it just might work. Addicts have a far more complicated problem that needs specific treatment.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Many addicts and alcoholics have underlying issues that need to be addressed if they are to be successful in recovery. Sometimes it is abuse, and other times it is other issues. I could see how behavior changing could work, but you have to address all of the issues you may have.
    deanokat and kgord like this.
  5. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I'm not so sure. While I think it could be beneficial, I tend to think behavior therapy would work better in conjunction with treatment that is specifically designed for dealing with addiction. I mean, the latter has been shown to work. The other is still a bit of a gamble, so I don't know that I'd suggest it on its own.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't really think this will work alone. Sometimes the person has to deal with a chemical imbalance in the body. The cravings for drugs may go far beyond social anxiety. I don't think that will be effective for this. I think it may help for people with anxiety issues tho.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Most of the personality disorders and psychological disorders can be treated with out medication. Psychological disorders and personality disorders do not have physiological evidences. Everything is in mind, if you are able to cure the stigma, there will not be any need of medicines.
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Behaviour therapy is a good method to combat addiction. The fact is alot of people have reformed in other areas like juvenile delinquency through behaviour therapy so its application to treat addiction is viable. It is a fact that all methods cannot fail all the time. Treatment of addiction requires a multidisciplinary approach since it is as much a physical as a psychological problem.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

This could be a good idea. It could work for some while it may not work on others too. I guess the only argument I can think of when it comes to this scenario is how behavior therapy would work on addicted individuals. While it has been proven effective for persons with psychological problems, it may not work as well in dealing with addiction because of the substances or drugs involved that may cause a hindrance in the effectiveness of the therapy. It is worth a try though. :)
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Hmm, this thread makes me think, has there be any efforts to cure drinking and alcoholism with hypnosis? I know it has been used successfully in anti smoking efforts and also in weight loss. I think behavior therapy can certainly help with alcoholism. Whether it is the be all and end all of treatment remains to be seen.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't know that it would cure addiction for everyone, but I certainly think it would help with a lot of folks - at least in part, with other treatment/support programs in place. I've known people who were depressed/anxious and ended up abusing substances to try and deal with those issues - so I think in those kind of cases behavior therapy could absolutely help.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that can be possible. Changing a behavior can also be changing the lifestyle and the mind set of the person. That could help in making a person decide better or have more control over addiction or things in general.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am not sure about how things will go if you administer behavior therapy sans rehabilitation. There are lots of factors to consider such as: 1) the person's adaptability, 2) depth of the addiction, 3) reception to therapy processes, and 4) the therapist's expertise. If these factors don't jive, then there's no guarantee of success. Maybe a more resilient person or a mild user would be able to pass this with flying colors but not a bigtime substance abuser.
  14. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think a combination of behaviour therapy with other treatments would work great for an addict. Sure, they can try using behaviour therapy alone if the other treatments don't work for them. But for individuals who want a long-term effect and the treatments are working fine for them, behaviour therapy can be a good addition to that. As long as the person is consenting to the therapy, I'm sure it can help anyone.
  15. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't think behavior therapy alone can help an addict overcome addiction. When you do drugs, it has an adverse effects in your body . Behavior therapy works only for your mind. Addiction is not just about mind, but also the body
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Bеhаviоr thеrаpy is fосusеd оn hеlping аn individuаl undеrstаnd hоw сhаnging thеir bеhаviоr саn lеаd tо сhаngеs in hоw thеy аrе fееling. Thе gоаl оf bеhаviоr thеrаpy is usuаlly fосusеd оn inсrеаsing thе pеrsоn’s еngаgеmеnt in pоsitivе оr sосiаlly rеinfоrсing асtivitiеs. Bеhаviоr thеrаpy is а struсturеd аpprоасh thаt саrеfully mеаsurеs whаt thе pеrsоn is dоing аnd thеn sееks tо inсrеаsе сhаnсеs fоr pоsitivе еxpеriеnсе. Соmmоn tесhniquеs inсludе:

Sеlf-Mоnitоring — This is thе first stаgе оf trеаtmеnt. Thе pеrsоn is аskеd tо kееp а dеtаilеd lоg оf аll оf thеir асtivitiеs during thе dаy. By еxаmining thе list аt thе nеxt sеssiоn, thе thеrаpist саn sее еxасtly whаt thе pеrsоn is dоing.

Еxаmplе — Bill, whо is bеing sееn fоr dеprеssiоn, rеturns with his sеlf-mоnitоring list fоr thе pаst wееk. His thеrаpist nоtiсеs thаt it соnsists оf Bill gоing tо wоrk in thе mоrning, rеturning hоmе аt 5:30 p.m. аnd wаtсhing tеlеvisiоn unintеrruptеd until 11 p.m. аnd thеn gоing tо bеd.
  17. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

I am an avid activist for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). CBT has taught me how to redirect my thoughts and develop positive coping mechanisms for things that I may struggle with. DBT has been amazing in teaching me how to appropriately interact with those around me and how to ask them to help me meet my needs.
  18. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think you may really be onto something here. It will not do a complete job, but certainly bring about changes that can transform a life. i do believe it is a great stepping stone for anyone and will encourage them no end. Hope is what we all need when facing difficult situations.
  19. roger1003

roger1003 Member

Yes, it can. Behavior therapy can help by forming a healthy habit to counter addiction. It is already scientifically proven. However, it is only effective when a compassionate therapist performs it.
  20. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

When it first came to CBT/DBT and Mindfulness, I could not do any mindfulness tasks. the PTSD of losing my brother would consume my thoughts. As a result the group leader had me stretch out and relax versus actually meditating mindfully or quitely. She'd sometimes even have me do a small task like coloring and that helped quite a bit.