New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Being outside in general

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Shimus, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Not only will it help to improve longevity of life and help to increase the quality as well; being outside generally helps most anyone. From the crisp smells of nature, to the hustle of a city - just being outside your normal habitat can help you to forget and stay away. From hiking to boating to taking a cab to Central Park, there's many things anyone can do to distance themselves from what they're in rehab to begin with - Substances. If you can't access them and are giving all your efforts to a secondary hobby (gardening, sports, swimming) - whatever the case may be, it helps. It's low cost (and/or free - go enjoy life) and it's everywhere.

Most people will agree that enjoying something that isn't in your house is a decent way to spend time. A psychiatrist also said this to me as well, so I believe it. The more you feel closer to the outdoors the more you'll form a different but healthy affinity towards something. This can be said of any hobby however. I'm just suggesting:

Go outside. Get a breath of fresh air. If it's winter and it's freezing this still applies. Go get some warm clothes. Tromp through the snow like a kid. Forget life for a minute. Get healthier.
    amethyst likes this.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

It's true. Getting outside on its own doesn't amount to rehab, but you'll feel so much better being outside and getting some sunlight. The crisp air helps as does everything else you'll experience outside. If you spend more time outside and less time in a stuffy home, then you're going to feel a lot better about life in general. It's a smart idea to get outside more when you're dealing with an addiction problem or on the road to recovery.
  3. Shimus

Also, it can engage all of your senses instead of just a few sitting inside a home or apartment. The atmosphere is stale; unchanging. Most people on the road to recovery need new fresh images being thrust at them or side hobbies to keep their mind busy. Outside is just a beautiful way to kickstart it. It helped me. I live in PA; for my rehabs many of our exercises were hiking, boating, camping. I grew an affinity to the woods.
  4. matt1rl

matt1rl Member

This is very true, it is something I have tried to include in my daily routines. I find it very important to get outside, and to make sure I am recieving an adequate amount of sunlight each day. I have never thought about the senses getting stale just sitting around in the same old environment, that is a very good point. I believe developing hobbies is also extremely important. Exercising doesn't always have to involve running and going to the gym, just getting out and about is good for the body.
  5. Shimus

Yup. This is what will allow a healthy readjustment to life. Finding hobbies, keeping busy. If you're broke though just go outside. Not only may it improve your health you might bump into a new friend you didn't know you had *or make new ones*
  6. LaikaComeHome

LaikaComeHome Member

I love to be outside. It makes me feel a lot better about myself and the world around me. I agree. It allows a healthy readjustment to life, for sure. It is also a good way to meet new people or rediscover old friends.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Can't agree more. Nature has a funny way of curing us of our ailments and this is aided more by the four elements: Wind,Water, Fire and Air. Being close to mother nature helps us to recover more quickly as our bodies are exposed to natural elements that are vital to us.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There are so many things that will distract you and keep your mind busy outside. Sitting alone in your room with nothing but yourself to turn to, all kinds of thoughts will seep through your brain and prevent you from seeing beyond the box of your four-cornered room. The great outdoors will let you see that you are not the only person who exists. That this world isn't as bad as you think.
  9. Shimus

the world may be just as bad I as think it is, but like you said if you sit inside you will turn to bad habits quickly. And trust me, me and my brother tended to find money for pot wherever we could when we were kids, we'd sit inside and sell stuff we didnt need, earn side money on odd jobs and internet sites. This in turn lead to more smoking which in turn lead to more laziness and a repeat of the aforementioned cycle. So if you keep busy and keep outdoors (and away from those shady alleyways!) I don't see any reason the outside can't help you.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

So true. I spend a lot more time outdoors these days than I used to years ago and I feel much better for it. I never used to be much of an outdoor person years ago but as I get older, I seem to appreciate it more and it does make me feel better. Especially amongst nature. I tend to do a lot of walking outside these days, I have done for a few years now and it makes a big difference.
  11. Shimus

If you live in a city you still take advantage of this and go outside. You don't HAVE to have nature near you, but it helps exponentially I find, for calming a worrying/rehabilitating mind. Just the effect of not staring at your own four walls are pretty decent reason to go see sunlight. Or moonlight. Whatever floats yer boat.
  12. I really like your perspective here! Getting outside really does help in so many ways, and I think connecting with nature can really improve mood and make you feel better.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

110% agree. For me, something about being outside in the fresh air, around nature, just gives me a more calm and relaxed outlook on life itself. Plus, if I'm outdoors I'm usually working out in some capacity. Hiking, bike riding, jogging, swimming...and all of those things help my mindset too. I'm a big advocate for both the great outdoors and exercise in helping keep me feel balanced and anxiety free.
  14. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Being outside and savoring sunlight is more important as studies say. Sunlight is not only essential for our body to make vitamin-D, but it also doubles up as a mood elevator. You feel active and alert when you roam in sunlight more than being perched up on your bed in a dull lit room. This is the reason why people from cold countries suffer seasonal affective disorder (SAD) or winter depression.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

I agree that being outside can improve a sense of awareness and bring freshness to thought. As a matter of fact there has been studies done on the modality of treatment called Walk and Talk Therapy that is suppose to be quite effective. Being connected to nature can make you more mindful and they say that the motion of walking can help bring more clarity to the therapy process. I think people are more invigorated while outside and walking and it also gets the mind stimulated, so that people get more clear thinking while they are going through therapy.
  16. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

If I can't get out of my house every day, due to some unforseen circumstances such as heavy weather, I get "cabin fever" within a short period of time. In fact, I spend at least 70% of my day outdoors. I am very fortunate to have a work place that has wide open spaces with lots of greenery around it. If I have to take some work home with me, I usually go to my "office" in the garden. I have a kind of open "garage" there, filled with my favorite plants, and all safely enclosed by mosquito wire. I get claustrophobia in cities, and especially in office buildings.
  17. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Definitely agree. If I spend too much time indoors I start to feel really trapped. Cabin fever, like Amethyst said. I’ve actually been dealing with it lately due to a cold plus icky weather, but I was able to take my first walk in a couple of weeks today and it felt wonderful. I really missed it and I look forward to more.
  18. Shimus

I just reaffirmed this today. Went outside after feeling depressed (mentally, really down) and I suddenly feel better. Day is beautiful, saw some rabbits/deer in my yard, and the forest is literally five steps away.

It's comforting somehow to think that the forest itself doesn't have any hates, grudges. It doesn't care, it's not sentient, and it expects nothing of me. And I like being submerged in that element. It feels kind of like being in an impenetrable castle that nobody can touch me in, and I like that feeling - a certain sense of "Serenity" if you will.
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  19. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I like the way you put this. Nature has no judgment towards us, which can be such a healing thought. Makes me want to get out there right now, I wish it weren’t raining so much in my area!
  20. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

It's actually on my list of things to do, "Go outside". Because otherwise, without any reason, I might just stay cooped up inside all day long -- which I then regret because it's so stuffy inside, and the fresh air always feel good when I go out.

Might need to adapt it this summer to, "Go spend at least 30 minutes under the sun" to be sure to get good vitamin D!