An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Believe In Yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by trueknowledge, Feb 27, 2015.

1. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

Yes I know this sounds very cheesy, but it's true. Someone who tells themselves that they can not do something, will never even attempt to do it. When you tell yourself you can't do it, you will give in. If you tell yourself you need something, you will need to do it. What my point is, it's all in your head and if you don't believe you can do it, nothing will every change.
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

A word to describe what you are writing about, trueknowledge, is called "affirmation." A lot of successful people practice their affirmation rituals daily to trick their mind that they've already found success, it's a art of persuading yourself you is and have what you wished for. And I agree that a individual who doesn't not think positively about their self will only work to defeat their self.
  3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I'm such a stubborn person that I live when people doubt me. It only drives me to prove them wrong. Believe in yourself no matter what anyone else thinks. Let your belief drive your actions and disregard the naysayers.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I always preached confidence to the kids I use to coach awhile back. Confidence riding on the borders of arrogance. You don't have to talk your game, but prove it on the court. With that being said. Anyone can believe in anything they want, but do you know it to be true? That is what separates belief to known fact. To believe in the hype or to have the known confidence to stand up at any given time to prove your worth.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is important that we believe in ourselves to help us keep motivated and think positive. Our minds are powerful that it could make us do things for the better. It is also having confidence to ourselves that make us feel we can surpass obstacles in life.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Absolutely. It's just simple as mind over matter. People just tend to complicate things sometimes. You must be your own inspiration/motivation.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

There is nothing impossible if you will believe in yourself that you can do things all by yourself. If you do not have that fighting spirit how can you live to all your expectations in life. There is always no harm in trying and you got to believe yourself that you can do it all the time.
  8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Affirmation is very powerful because it fills your mind with positive thoughts and those thoughts often are enough to actually make good things happen. As they say, whatever is in your mind will happen. Believe in good things all the time and it will come to you just like that.
  9. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

When you truly believe in yourself, you can accomplish anything. Whatever you set your mind to do to achieve a goal, I believe you can do it with dedication, striving and hard work.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The greatest power that we have within ourselves is self belief. We may be going through a rough patch and all odds may greatly be against us but if we honestly believe that we can overcome all those obstacles, then all will be possible. We have to believe in our capabilities and have sheer determination in how we respond to life's challenges.
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think most people are just taught to be very cynical at a very early age and it really doesn't help anyone to teach and adopt that type of value in my opinion. People are very strong and they should be told that everyday because it's the truth. Anyone can accomplish anything they put their minds to, and it's just a shame we are instilled these mental hurdles that just end up holding us back.
  12. debbie24

debbie24 Member

There was a long time when the lack of belief in myself was a major factor in my life.

I didn’t pursue an ideal career, or start my own business, because I didn’t think I could. I didn’t stick to habits because I didn’t really believe I had the discipline. I was shy with girls, I had a hard time making new friends, I didn’t assert myself in the workplace. I didn’t push past my comfort zone.

All because I didn’t really believe I could.

While I’m not free of self-doubt these days, I can honestly say I believe in myself like never before. That doesn’t mean I think I’ll never fail or quit: I will. Probably often.

And that’s OK.
  13. shmangie

shmangie Member

I think believing in yourself is one of the number one keys to staying positive and clean. If you don't believe in yourself, who will? It's up to you to decide what you are capable of and what you want out of life. If you make it a point to tell yourself that you can get through whatever, or do something, or change...you will. You have to put your mind to it and not let yourself be brought down by anyone or anything else.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I am definitely wired in a very similar way. Haters and negative energy are generally what fuel my drive to succeed in all areas of life.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

If I don't believe in myself, then I shouldn't expect people to believe in me. It's the same with love. You need to love yourself first before you love others or expect to be loved. These are concepts I am still trying to get used to and trying to apply in my own life. We are all wired differently and what comes easily for some, others have to work hard at becoming.

Everything said, I do believe it's of paramount importance to believe in yourself.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It's not cheesy. I know what you are saying but it is not always the case. Sometimes when this is what you think someone is thinking about themselves. There can be much more to it. It is not always that cut and dry.
    People find their own way. Figure out their own avenue.
  17. Thank you so much for this. It is absolutely not cheesy at all, it's the TRUTH. You have to believe in yourself and all that you are. If you want to get something done, get up and go do it. It's worth trying.