An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Believe in Yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Dec 28, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

It may seem like common sense, however, when you are going through recovery and trying to stay clean and/or sober, you need to believe in yourself. Even if everyone else is doubting you, you can overcome temptation, but you need to believe in yourself that you can do it. Picture yourself happy, clean, and sober. Believe that you can be that person. It may not happen over night, and it will take work, but it is worth doing. Believe in yourself.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

"You've never screwed anything up! It's just life and things that happend to us all...no one is perfect or we'd be like robots and I bet robots would co crazy and really mess things up! And I'm usually going through a hard time and I hope something I'm telling myself will help encourage someone else too! I love you!". Kandee Johnson just posted this on Facebook, it basically sums up everything! I just... love her!
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Absolutely true. When your loved ones have already given up on you, and turned their backs on you, the only person you could count on to is yourself. Have a daily mantra, and everyday, tell yourself, "I can do it." Look for some spiritual guidance, and have a personal relationship with God. That might help you.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, if you don't believe in ourselves then who will, right? So you gotta encourage yourselves always when you are trying to recover. Never let yourselves be discouraged when faced with setbacks.
  5. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

If we never made any mistakes, we would never learn!

Believe in yourself and you can move mountains!
  6. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

It's so much easier said than done! For most of us it's really diffcult to believe in.yourself... especially when dealing with somethong as evil as addiction and the evil things it causes us to do. But, that is great advice and it's something we should all do... although difficult for most.
    Joyner likes this.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've struggled with self esteem and believing in myself for a big chunk of my life, I would say. A part of it to me is just faking it until you make it...acting like you believe in yourself, reminding yourself that you are capable, good, smart - all those little things help me believe in myself more.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Self belief is the most important thing in recovery, and without that a lot of people will relapse.

The hardest thing is being able to ignore what others say, or how they act towards you as that will only knock your confidence and usually when you lose confidence in yourself, that's when your self belief goes aswell.
  9. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

This is great advice! Visualize yourself where you want to be, not where you were. You're not the mistakes you made, you're not your past, you're growing into the amazing person you're discovering. That person was hidden under addiction, and it was hard to see the real you underneath. Now is your time to show who you really are, don't worry about a mistake from yesterday. At the beginning of each day, think of all the good things you want to do, all the things your new sobriety helps you focus on, you've got this! You asked for forgiveness for the mistakes you made at the end of yesterday so you can wake up today having learned from those mistakes, you can pray for help in recognizing them so you won't repeat them. No one else controls your behavior except for you, and their opinion of you is none of your business. Good luck and bless you! :)
  10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I read a book recently that had a wonderful piece of advice in it--it simply said "Strive to be a better person when you go to bed at night than you were when you awoke that morning".

Really great "day at a time" wisdom.
  11. Joyner

Joyner Member

I think the biggest way to start believing in yourself is focusing on what you do well. In spite of all the things that we may have done wrong, each one of us has one thing that we do well. If you have to block out the pain of the previous mistakes, a great thing to do is focus on what you do well. It may be a talent like singing, writing, or a sport you played in school. Or it might be a subject you were always good in. Anything you can focus on is a good way to block out the negative. I've decided to focus on this technique and it's been helping.

I can definitely relate to you because I get extremely frustrated with how easy people make it seem. I've even have therapists kind of laugh and say, "Get over that guy," for example. I'm like, "Well, DUH, if it were that easy, I wouldn't be in therapy." But focusing on what you're good at actually helps. Right now for example, I'm focusing on a foreign language I've always been good at, and I'm looking into teaching it so I can make an additional income. It's a great way to let go of negative thoughts and things that have brought you down. I've been struggling for years, but I'm determined to believe in my worth and not give up.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It would be impossible to get anything done if you don't believe in yourself. That you are capable of getting something done. Many recovering addicts doubt themselves. It's so hard, I can't do it. It's this mindset which eventually works against them. A little faith in oneself can help someone achieve great things and when fighting an addiction it's the one thing that will keep you going when you feel like giving up.
    kgord likes this.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, that is true Rainman and for those of us who have shaky self confidence...we should get in the habit of doing positive affirmations ever day until we believe them. We have to believe we deserve better to do better. It is just the way it is. Most of us are capable of anything we put our mind to.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is true. Sometimes believing in yourself becomes harder if no one else believes in you. But starting it within yourself is the most important thing and eventually, the people will start believing in you again as they can see positive changes little by little.
  15. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

You know what I think is the hardest for me, those times of the day when I used to get high. Don't know where you guys are from but it's around 11pm right now and this is usually when i used to like to get high, or start getting high. When it was too quite for me to handle and the rest of the world was falling asleep I was just trying my best to escape from myself
  16. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

I'm having a **** night, really on the edge. My own comment made me think about when I started doing drugs because I was partying and I thought that's ok because I'm partying. Then next thing I know I'm 'partying' every night of the week. Then it gets worse because the partying stops but the drugs don't, I'm just in my apartment alone shooting up, looking for veins, smoking, coughing my lungs out, and just trying to get high.
  17. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In our life we should always have this positive thinking that no matter what had happened in our life there is always hope and we should always believe that we can make our life better despite all the mistakes we had in the past. That is why continue to have that attitude of believing in yourself and you can recover fully from your struggles to addiction. All the best of luck!
  18. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

You are absolutely right!! Our mind is the only thing in this world that we can control. The only thing! If we walk around beating ourselves up all of the time, or thinking negative thoughts about ourselves, then life becomes dreary, difficult and almost hopeless. We have to remember to control our thoughts and believe in ourselves!